OT: Everything COVID19 - PART 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
All this because people can’t stop abusing animals.
A great reality this is. Another one is inevitable. Guaranteed. Already culling thousands of animals with different infectious diseases since corona started.

Now where’s my bucket of chicken, I’m sad ;(

Things will never change unless people do.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
You are crazy if you accept that.

I think they were actually suggesting that the contagious vaccine was for animals, not humans. Not that that fills me with great relief either. But yes tough ethical questions and unintended consequences and all that. South Africa was apparently looking at something like this once for a sterilization vaccine. This would be biological warfare. Perhaps more worrying and likely than than nuclear war. But if it became the only way to get the herd immunity due to the stupidity virus rampaging around, it might become the only choice left. Lets hope we dont get there.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow, that is nuts. I have allergies and present light symptoms all the time because I have cats. So theoretically, I am permanently under house arrest.
Govt of Ontario website provides some explanations of symtoms and indicates things like runny nose as a result of known allergies is not considered a symptom. Similarly, headaches are only a concern if they are unusually or particularly long lasting for you.

Presumably this applies to the order.

Reactions: GCK

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
It seems to me like Quebec might actually be more reasonable with how they're handling schools so far. My daughter woke up 2 Saturday's ago with a runny nose, she hasn't been anywhere else than school or home. We closely monitored if she had a fever or any other potential symptoms. By Monday it was clearly a simple cold (clear snot and she was doing much better (but with a stuffy nose). I notified the school and teacher that I'd be keeping her on Monday and if there was still no fever or worsening of any other symptoms she could go back Tuesday. Tuesday comes along, she has the typical stuffy nose from a common cold. She's now been back at school for a whole week as of today (the cold is basically over now) and everything was ok. She didn't need a test or anything before being re-admitted to school.

Basically, no matter what symptom the kid has, they're initially sent home (or have to stay home) then they need go follow the self evaluation guidelines posted by Quebec and if the symptoms persist or worsen after 24hrs, then a test is required or 14 days of self isolation after appearance of symptoms.
covid19.quebec.ca

If we start sending every single runny nose to get tested, wait for test results or wait for the runny nose to stop, then kids won't be spending any time in school and the people who need to be tested for legitimate reasons won't be able to.

To contrast this, my daughter happened to have her annual checkup scheduled that same Monday. Her paediatrician is in Ottawa. I called them up assuming I'd have to re-schedule the appointment as an extra precaution but as soon as the words runny nose came out of my mouth, I was told we should all get tested, no other questions. I'm fine, my wife is fine and my son is fine. I got in touch with the Quebec health hotline and they said no need to test at that point since all she had was a runny nose. This is why the testing centres are getting overwhelmed. The minute there's ANYTHING up with a kid they pretty much say the whole family needs a test. But the fact is that as long as testing centres reach capacity for the day 15 minutes after opening, then they have to be more selective with who they test. Waiting for hours to get tested is ridiculous. We have an appointment system here in Quebec (from what I'm told) so you show up to the centre, get a time slot and come back when the time comes, I'm pretty sure you can even set an appointment by phone.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Govt of Ontario website provides some explanations of symtoms and indicates things like runny nose as a result of known allergies is not considered a symptom. Similarly, headaches are only a concern if they are unusually or particularly long lasting for you.

Presumably this applies to the order.

Phew! Thanks!

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
There's going to be spread, we've always known we're not going to stop it completely. If you get contagion in a school, at least it's a lot easier to trace who was in contact with them and get them monitored/quarantined/tested.
Are kids in Canada wearing masks in class right now or not?

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
There's going to be spread, we've always known we're not going to stop it completely. If you get contagion in a school, at least it's a lot easier to trace who was in contact with them and get them monitored/quarantined/tested.
I have a daughter in grade 10 at an OCDSB school and a son in grade 7 at a private school and they both are required to wear masks for the entire time they are at school.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'll keep this in mind when my mom dies because my kid likes to hug grandma.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In Ontario Kindergarten to grade 3 or 4 (not sure of the cut off) is optional, anything above is supposed to be manditory.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
It seems to me like Quebec might actually be more reasonable with how they're handling schools so far. My daughter woke up 2 Saturday's ago with a runny nose, she hasn't been anywhere else than school or home. We closely monitored if she had a fever or any other potential symptoms. By Monday it was clearly a simple cold (clear snot and she was doing much better (but with a stuffy nose). I notified the school and teacher that I'd be keeping her on Monday and if there was still no fever or worsening of any other symptoms she could go back Tuesday. Tuesday comes along, she has the typical stuffy nose from a common cold. She's now been back at school for a whole week as of today (the cold is basically over now) and everything was ok. She didn't need a test or anything before being re-admitted to school.

Basically, no matter what symptom the kid has, they're initially sent home (or have to stay home) then they need go follow the self evaluation guidelines posted by Quebec and if the symptoms persist or worsen after 24hrs, then a test is required or 14 days of self isolation after appearance of symptoms.
covid19.quebec.ca

If we start sending every single runny nose to get tested, wait for test results or wait for the runny nose to stop, then kids won't be spending any time in school and the people who need to be tested for legitimate reasons won't be able to.

To contrast this, my daughter happened to have her annual checkup scheduled that same Monday. Her paediatrician is in Ottawa. I called them up assuming I'd have to re-schedule the appointment as an extra precaution but as soon as the words runny nose came out of my mouth, I was told we should all get tested, no other questions. I'm fine, my wife is fine and my son is fine. I got in touch with the Quebec health hotline and they said no need to test at that point since all she had was a runny nose. This is why the testing centres are getting overwhelmed. The minute there's ANYTHING up with a kid they pretty much say the whole family needs a test. But the fact is that as long as testing centres reach capacity for the day 15 minutes after opening, then they have to be more selective with who they test. Waiting for hours to get tested is ridiculous. We have an appointment system here in Quebec (from what I'm told) so you show up to the centre, get a time slot and come back when the time comes, I'm pretty sure you can even set an appointment by phone.
I agree that - shockingly - Quebec actually seems to have a sane approach

Since literally everything is a symptom of COVID, stay at home for 24 hours. If it gets worse, get tested. If it doesn’t, go in with your life (masked, distanced etc).

Reactions: Rand0m

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I agree that - shockingly - Quebec actually seems to have a sane approach

Since literally everything is a symptom of COVID, stay at home for 24 hours. If it gets worse, get tested. If it doesn’t, go in with your life (masked, distanced etc).

I would rather they just approve the damned spit test and make this easier for everyone. Make the kits widely available and drop a mountain of cash to bump up the labs so they can do quick results.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'll keep this in mind when my mom dies because my kid likes to hug grandma.

What an argument. So you think kids should just stay home for the whole school year, this year, next year, until a reliable vaccine is available to everyone? If that's your position then I can't even fathom the state of privilege you live in

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was asked today if I thought that being unable to go places & get together with friends & socialize with others in general because of this pandemic, if people would start becoming more irritable with each other? Yes. It's not just California that is burning, the entire planet is on red alert & people are stressed.

My thought was that there would be more babies born & more divorces most likely because of it. The longer it goes on the worse it seems to be getting around the world even on here in some threads people seem to be short tempered. It's getting tough, we all need to have patience, practice safe socializing, wear a mask & let's all try harder to be nice to each other.

All we need is love, all we need is love, love, love is all we need.
peacesignicon-.jpg

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I was asked today if I thought that being unable to go places & get together with friends & socialize with others in general because of this pandemic, if people would start becoming more irritable with each other? Yes. It's not just California that is burning, the entire planet is on red alert & people are stressed.

My thought was that there would be more babies born & more divorces most likely because of it. The longer it goes on the worse it seems to be getting around the world even on here in some threads people seem to be short tempered. It's getting tough, we all need to have patience, practice safe socializing, wear a mask & let's all try harder to be nice to each other.

peacesignicon-.jpg

I mean it should put in perspective how good things have been.

This is the first sort of life altering event for Westerners since WW2.

And it’s a pandemic that may kill a few million people globally before modern medicine halts it with a vaccine . Not 85 million people like WW2 .

I’m actually far more sympathetic to climate change doomers than Covid doomers.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

peacesignicon-.jpg

Yes but.....the majority of the population now has some sort of technology to keep in touch. A smartphone, a computer, video/zoom meetups, etc. Granted, it isn't as good as being in the same room, but it's damned close! We're in a much better situation as a society right now than we would've been in the 1970s where the average family had less than a dozen t v channels and the radio as their main home entertainment.

We're really lucky. Many places have home delivery (or at least deliver to your car) for groceries. We have amazon for just about everything else. Kids can still attend school remotely, and many adults can work from home.

It could've been one hell of a lot worse.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
A CDC update Wednesday says individuals are more likely to survive the coronavirus after contracting it. The health agency says if you have the virus between the ages of 0 to 70, you have a 99% survival rate. And if you’re over 70, the survival rate is nearly 95%. Mortality Risk of COVID-19 - Statistics and Research
This is really misleading. The rates vary so much by age they really shouldn't be averaging across such a big range. A 65-year-old doesn't have a 99% survival rate, and an 85-year-old doesn't have a 95% rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad