OT: Everything COVID19 - PART 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I appreciate and agree with many of your economic and societal concerns. But the bolded just simply isn't true, as evidenced by @Sens quote about his workplace:

The simple reality is that many people -- young, old, diabetic, whatever -- will assume that they are taking the appropriate precautions, right up UNTIL they actually catch the thing. And after that, they will assume / expect that our healthcares system will be able to treat them. Which may not be true.

lol I'm 40 father of 3. Sorry if I think like older people

I'm sorry for your mom, I can understand if older generations are more subject to "fear mongering" but at the same time, if they weren't, many more would have gotten the virus from their coffee gatherings at McDonald's, at least here in Quebec. My grandmother is 83 and she is not scared at all, she has just modified her way of living temporarily. I guess it really depends on people but I don't know anybody who is "scared by the virus" and I know many older people through relatives and community work.

And thank God the death rates are not as bad as it was first anticipated. The world would be literally crumbling right now.

It's not about "respecting" this thing or even "fear it", it's about taking every possible measure to stop the spreading. It's as simple as that, but it seems that for some people it's taking a crazy amount of time to figure it out. I mean, how long do they need? It was totally possible to see this coming at the beginning of the year, It was evident right from the start that the only way to counter a virus was to "flatten the curve"

Personally, I still played hockey when it was allowed, I'm going to Costco and post office regularly, I'm still doing voluntary work to help out people, I don't have a "job" so I control my schedule and I'm just avoiding direct contacts. I'm still advancing, maybe slower than usual but still progressing working on various projects. I haven't been hiding at all, but at the same time I don't depend on social events like some might do. Even before covid, we are people that like to be with our family and close friends. I'm not somebody that likes big crowds and being close to "strangers". I don't trust people and their hygiene. How many times have I seen people go to the bathroom and not wash their freaking hands? Really disgusting. Personally, I find social distancing pretty easy and even welcome.

When you say young people's risk factor is minor, you may not look at the whole situation correctly. It's not about them getting it and dying from it. It's about them becoming carriers and then continuing the spread. I don't think everybody realize the chaos it would have been without social distancing and masks, and other public health rules.

I also wish we could go full Sweden but I don't think everybody would be smart/responsible enough for that, unfortunately. Putting the health of your whole population in the hands of the youth is SILLY (and not just the youth, some adults are terribly irresponsible too). I don't know how it is in Ontario, but I can assure you that here in Quebec it wouldn't work at all. Too many are careless or just selfish. Do you need videos?

I used to think I was invincible too. I used to think that nothing will ever happen to me. I came close to potential death a few times but somehow it didn't happen like if angels were watching me. But it's not about that, it's not about ourselves, it's about everybody. If someone can't sacrifice himself for the good of others, then he should probably be living in the woods and not in society.

Remember, there's no perfect solution. If everybody would sacrifice what is necessary to get rid of this thing, the faster we could go back to a normal life, but it won't happen. Some people don't have the mental fortitude and resilience to do that.

Link : Do you really want to put your public health in these people's hands?

There's one guy who says "I have nothing against the mask, but it should be on a voluntary basis"

I mean what's the point of the mask if people randomly choose to wear it or not? lol

believe me guys, I do not want to see so much as a single person die. In my immediate circle, I have almost a dozen, high risk people. I mean; High risk. And if we all lived in some utopia, were we did not have to worry about; food, shelter, transport, etc. I would be petition the government to lock things down and seal it like a space suit. 10-18 months later, a vaccine will be developed and we would move on.

But we do not live in that world, we are going to do more damage in what we are doing, than by loosening things up. And when I follow the numbers, I become more convinced that a more open approach will work.

In 5-10 years, I believe that analysis of this period will show that we were wrong and did more harm than good. I just hope that in 5-10 years, the after effects are not still with us. Covid will be, by the way. We have never cured a single disease, we have vaccines that protect against contracting it. You may be shocked at how much TB and polio and a whole host of diseases dating back to the stone age still exist.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
believe me guys, I do not want to see so much as a single person die. In my immediate circle, I have almost a dozen, high risk people. I mean; High risk. And if we all lived in some utopia, were we did not have to worry about; food, shelter, transport, etc. I would be petition the government to lock things down and seal it like a space suit. 10-18 months later, a vaccine will be developed and we would move on.

But we do not live in that world, we are going to do more damage in what we are doing, than by loosening things up. And when I follow the numbers, I become more convinced that a more open approach will work.

In 5-10 years, I believe that analysis of this period will show that we were wrong and did more harm than good. I just hope that in 5-10 years, the after effects are not still with us. Covid will be, by the way. We have never cured a single disease, we have vaccines that protect against contracting it. You may be shocked at how much TB and polio and a whole host of diseases dating back to the stone age still exist.

In a space suit lockdown, we wouldn't need 10-18 months to get rid of the thing. If you isolate the virus and let it "die", then it can't spread anymore

In 5-10 years, the analysis will show that we weren't ready to face this thing at all.

I hope next time there is a pandemic, humanity will be ready to manage the situation much better and faster. Everybody in complete lockdown, specialized teams fully trained and protected to asssure the essential services, health system ready to treat patients without more risk of infection, etc. Then you isolate and control the threat pretty fast. After the quarantine period, nobody is infected anymore.

Problem is dissidents wouldn't let it work. You'd have to use an overloaded police force to control them and then we'd never hear the end of how we live in dictactorship. Personally, I'm more for resolving situations as fast as possible and with the less damage as possible

This ridiculous fight for "freedom" is the reason why this thing will last and last... It's not about freedom, it's about security. The virus is the one restraining your freedom genius (not talking to you)

As usual, humanity will prove that we are not capable to be on the same page, that we aren't united. Instead of that, government officials receive death threats :facepalm:

Edit : the guy I have talked about earlier in the thread, you know why he became a dissident at first and then searched for conspiracy theories? He couldn't go play his pool games anymore... That's all you need to know

Last edited:
Reactions: Smash88

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
In a space suit lockdown, we wouldn't need 10-18 months to get rid of the thing. If you isolate the virus and let it "die", then it can't spread anymore

In 5-10 years, the analysis will show that we weren't ready to face this thing at all.

I hope next time there is a pandemic, humanity will be ready to manage the situation much better and faster. Everybody in complete lockdown, specialized teams fully trained and protected to asssure the essential services, health system ready to treat patients without more risk of infection, etc. Then you isolate and control the threat pretty fast. After the quarantine period, nobody is infected anymore.

Problem is dissidents wouldn't let it work. You'd have to use an overloaded police force to control them and then we'd never hear the end of how we live in dictactorship. Personally, I'm more for resolving situations as fast as possible and with the less damage as possible

This ridiculous fight for "freedom" is the reason why this thing will last and last... It's not about freedom, it's about security. The virus is the one restraining your freedom genius (not talking to you)

As usual, humanity will prove that we are not capable to be on the same page, that we aren't united. Instead of that, government officials receive death threats :facepalm:

Edit : the guy I have talked about earlier in the thread, you know why he became a dissident at first and then searched for conspiracy theories? He couldn't go play his pool games anymore... That's all you need to know

I am worried about my Mortgage!!!

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I am worried about my Mortgage!!!
I'm worried about my elderly parents' lives. And I'm worried that the economy will never be able to fully "bounce back" as long as we're putting this unnecessary stress on it, on public healthcare and on public support systems by not even attempting to limit infections. I sympathize with your mortgage issues, but I can't for the life of me understand how you think it'll be made better from "re-opening" and putting a strain on the healthcare system.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I'm worried about my elderly parents' lives. And I'm worried that the economy will never be able to fully "bounce back" as long as we're putting this unnecessary stress on it, on public healthcare and on public support systems by not even attempting to limit infections. I sympathize with your mortgage issues, but I can't for the life of me understand how you think it'll be made better from "re-opening" and putting a strain on the healthcare system.
What’s the alternative to living and working through this virus like we are doing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad