Proposal: Evander Kane to Toronto

Mad Brills*

Well obviously they didn't. There was a rift between him and the rest of the team, something that IS NOT PRESENT in Buffalo. What issues did he have in Winnipeg? Posting embarassing photos on social media? The horror!

While I agree that some of the stuff in winnipeg was coded racism (stacks of cash), the stuff in buffalo isn't.

I was sympathetic then, but not now.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
So 2 cap dumps a decent winger prospect and a 3rd round pick for a top line scorer with exactly the type of personality problem that the leafs don't want on their team. I don't see either side making this deal as it doesn't help either side.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
So 2 cap dumps a decent winger prospect and a 3rd round pick for a top line scorer with exactly the type of personality problem that the leafs don't want on their team. I don't see either side making this deal as it doesn't help either side.

If you don't think this kind of deal helps the Leafs you're delusional.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

"Top Line Scorer" which player in this deal is a top line scorer?

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Wouldn't blame Toronto if they turned this down. I wouldn't want Kane near a rebuilding team.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Toronto wouldn't touch Kane with a 10 foot pole. He's Buffalo's problem.

Weast

May 16, 2011
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a-timeline-of-kanes-indiscretions-with-jets/

Some highlights

" After playing in all of the Jets’ post-lockout games Kane caused a stir when he posted a homophobic tweet."

" Kane is accused of assault after an incident in Vancouver and sued for financial damages."

"Kane is a healthy scratch under new head coach Paul Maurice in a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada.

After the game Maurice said it was a coach’s decision and that if Kane wanted back in the lineup all he needed to do was “probably just come to the rink.â€"

"Kane wore a track suit when the Jets players gathered that morning for a meeting — a violation of team policy. Following a brief workout and stretch, Byfuglien is believed to have thrown those clothes into the shower to send a message to his teammate, according to sources."

In Buffalo he's been better. Instead of posting pictures and getting in fights with team mates over his commitment, he's only punching women in bars.

B-b-but he's changed!! :sarcasm:

Batrous

May 4, 2016
If you don't think this kind of deal helps the Leafs you're delusional.

It hurts the leafs period because they are a rebuilding team and the last thing they need is a toxic player in the locketroom being an influence on their younger prospects.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
"The stuff in Buffalo" being a dumb trespassing charge? k

It is pretty ****ing dumb to break the law multiple times in different ways. But I guess I'll let you win this case, since everyone else seems to be delusional if they disagree with you.

...at least we won the Kane trade by a long mile though :)

Nov 24, 2006
Evander Kane has had 0 locker room problems in Buffalo.

But hey, narratives eh?

Uh huh.

Kane had "0 locker room problems" in Winnipeg too, until, you know, he was thrown off the team by his own players. Must have been a one time thing.

Narratives are what people need them to be.

No team should give up anything for a player like this, much less Toronto. The media there would destroy him in two weeks.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
That's not true, his problems in Winnipeg were mainly in the locker room. The complete opposite of his Buffalo situation. There has been nothing that suggests any locker room issues related to Evander Kane in Buffalo. We have strong enough leadership to keep the off-ice issues where they belong. Off the ice, out of the arena.

Very incorrect. He had several off ice issues that were widely reported in the media and even more that weren't (I usually take with a grain of salt but with as many as there were, smoke and fire etc).

I still can't believe we got rid of him and got value for him. Wouldn't take him back for free, maybe he'd thrive in Toronto but from watching his game progress by 0% in 5 years I wouldn't bank on it.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I'd rather have Kane the Big Red Machine than Evander Kane and I'm not even sure if he can skate....

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That's not true, his problems in Winnipeg were mainly in the locker room. The complete opposite of his Buffalo situation. There has been nothing that suggests any locker room issues related to Evander Kane in Buffalo. We have strong enough leadership to keep the off-ice issues where they belong. Off the ice, out of the arena.

So you don't think Kane's off ice problems are an issue in the room? Tell me, how many times is your coach/GM going to have to answer questions about it? How about the players? Does Buffalo not have a code of conduct for players to follow? If Kane is allowed to play, how do team mates react?

Believe me, Kane's off ice antics are felt in the room. You can't tell me other players don't think he's a childish/selfish brat the way he acts....that's going to become a problem, and with the way TO media reacts (see: cookiegate/hotdoggate), that's a problem i can live without.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
One of the best aspects of Toronto's rebuild IMO is ridding themselves of the attitude/culture that has festered for so many years with the Leafs.
Zero interest in negatively impacting the change afoot, or ever revisiting that culture in the future.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
To Toronto

Evander Kane

To Buffalo

Stephane Robidas (expiring contract)

Jared Cowen (expiring contract)

Kasperi Kapanen

3rd round pick

Obviously that's not a very good return for Buffalo but I wouldn't take Kane for free.
Both teams pass.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
So you don't think Kane's off ice problems are an issue in the room? Tell me, how many times is your coach/GM going to have to answer questions about it? How about the players? Does Buffalo not have a code of conduct for players to follow? If Kane is allowed to play, how do team mates react?

Believe me, Kane's off ice antics are felt in the room. You can't tell me other players don't think he's a childish/selfish brat the way he acts....that's going to become a problem, and with the way TO media reacts (see: cookiegate/hotdoggate), that's a problem i can live without.

There is no way to determine his impact on his teammates or on the team.

Several sports teams, particularly in the NFL (the Dallas Cowboys and Buffalo Bills of the early 90's come to mind) had their share of players, even stars with off the field problems and it isn't a distraction if those teams win consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad