Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Russell is the better player, paid less.

Why would it make more sense to get rid of him?
especially seeing Russell last game, I have to agree. Sekera coming back from injury was sheltered, while Russell doesn't need sheltering. Meanwhile, there was a good chance we'd be adding a rookie, and they would also need sheltering. Keeping Russell was the right move. If your lineup has a lot of players who need to be sheltered, and not enough heavy lifters, it can't succeed

And like I have said, I disagreed with getting rid of Sekera, but only if we didn't replace the skill he offered. I still don't think we did, but after Bear's game last night I think maybe it could happen.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Cap management.

I like Russell. If we were contending I would suggest keeping him as our #5. He can even hold his own as a #4 if needed. He can play the off side.

But replacing a #4/5 is relatively easy. With as many blue chip defense prospects as we have even more so. As a betting man I think Lagesson can replace what he brings sooner than later. Or Jones. Or Samorukov. Or eventually Broberg. If we kept Sekera instead I have no doubt even declined he could fill the void left by Russell np.

He is a "tradable" asset... Well an easy cap dump for a depth pick or middling prospect. No salary retained. Don't have to buy him out. He gets dirt cheap for budget teams in his last year...

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if teams enquired about his availability and we're turned away.

At the end of this year it "should" make even more sense to trade Russell. I'm assuming real growth from our blueline both in the nhl and ahl of course.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Russell is the worse player. Russell isn’t a top 4 D. Sekera has top 4 or even top pairing skill. Dallas is very happy right now, although it is only preseason.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
To be honest my post was just off the top of my head. But it also included Persson and Nygard as a replacement for Granlund in my calculations since they are both injured. That takes you to just under $2M over the cap. Brodziak does not come off the cap. If you get under you can LTIR him but he still counts which means this impacts both space at the deadline and also puts you at risk for Smith's bonus.

Smiths' bonuses can be paid next year. If he makes them yahoo. If he doesn't then you just threw away some of this years cap space for what ifs.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The quality of that video is a lot like the Oilers streaming feed. :nod:

At least the quality of that video improved just before Bouchard shot the puck.

Nice goal. :nod:

Yeah, nice of them to make the quality part start after the play ends, and the absolute worst quality part to be the part where he does the cool thing. Well done.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, nice of them to make the quality part start after the play ends, and the absolute worst quality part to be the part where he does the cool thing. Well done.

Its funny...I played it a few times and the 3rd time I played it the quality improved just in time to see the shot.

Still very poor though...would have been nice to see the whole sequence in decent resolution.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Hes going to destroy the AHL for about 20 games and be back with the big club.

Hes just to good, and looked really good in training camp.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hes going to destroy the AHL for about 20 games and be back with the big club.

Hes just to good, and looked really good in training camp.

Here's hoping. :nod:
He just needs to improve his defending.

Offence isnt an issue at all.
He is the Oilers best offensive dman by a mile already...he is that talented.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Here's hoping. :nod:
He just needs to improve his defending.

Offence isnt an issue at all.
He is the Oilers best offensive dman by a mile already...he is that talented.

Thats every young dman, the offense out weighs the defense.

Still cant believe they sent him down.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bouchard update please. How's he looking down there?

Is he getting top pairing minutes? And is he the defacto PP QB down there? He better be on both counts Woodcroft you pencil neck (jk I like Woodcroft now)!

Reactions: Mav3rick07

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Thats every young dman, the offense out weighs the defense.

Still cant believe they sent him down.
Just think about how good he’s going to be in a year when he’s learned to better defend against men by playing tonnes of minutes in a lesser league. Besides, we needed to know what we had in Ethan Bear as he is waiver eligible next year. Arent you glad we are doing that right now?

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Bouchard update please. How's he looking down there?

Is he getting top pairing minutes? And is he the defacto PP QB down there? He better be on both counts Woodcroft you pencil neck (jk I like Woodcroft now)!

Some good chatter on Bouch in the Bako thread, I iso'd his game today and left a few notes.

I think he looks good in many, many ways, he does a ton of good stuff out there. But his mobility going to be his challenge. Not mobile, not fast, first three strides are not good.

He's used on PP1. He's not top pairing, Jones and Lowe are top pairing. But he plays a fair amount.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Some good chatter on Bouch in the Bako thread, I iso'd his game today and left a few notes.

I think he looks good in many, many ways, he does a ton of good stuff out there. But his mobility going to be his challenge. Not mobile, not fast, first three strides are not good.

He's used on PP1. He's not top pairing, Jones and Lowe are top pairing. But he plays a fair amount.

Sweet Ill check it out. His skating isn't NHL level yet wouldn't be a surprise. His compete too. But he does win battles.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Can someone give me an update on Bouchard game this season? Didn't really analyze him the last few months

The Condors thread is likely the best place to get a read up on him. But even there, it's mainly been focused on the forward prospects.

I'd say solid is the word to describe his first few months as pro.

A 0.5 PPG is lower than what people would want to see, but the skill on the Condor's blueline eats into his usage. The other 2 RHD on the team are also known for their offence with Persson and Day; plus there's Jones and Lagesson too, both of whom can put up points.

Contrast that to a guy like Joey Keane, who is a fellow '99 born rookie, and has more points than Bouchard. But when you look a little deeper at the teams, and you see he's the only one putting up points on that defence. He's the go-to there, while Bouchard shares the opportunity with the rest of the defence.

Relative to the rest of the Condors' defence, he's got the highest point total, but also the lowest +/-. Though I wouldn't put too much stock into +/-, as Bakersfield's goaltending has been horrific without Starrett, and Bouchard has gotten half of his points via the PP. I do like his shot totals though; over 2.6 a game, while the next best on the defence are at ~2.

Nothing that truly merits a call-up, but no major red-flags yet (unless you count a rookie having challenges defensively in the first half season of their pro-careers as a red-flag).

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind calling him up the week before the all-star break. Let him get some NHL practices and maybe a game, and then send him back down with a clearer outline of what he needs to work on.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
The Condors thread is likely the best place to get a read up on him. But even there, it's mainly been focused on the forward prospects.

I'd say solid is the word to describe his first few months as pro.

A 0.5 PPG is lower than what people would want to see, but the skill on the Condor's blueline eats into his usage. The other 2 RHD on the team are also known for their offence with Persson and Day; plus there's Jones and Lagesson too, both of whom can put up points.

Contrast that to a guy like Joey Keane, who is a fellow '99 born rookie, and has more points than Bouchard. But when you look a little deeper at the teams, and you see he's the only one putting up points on that defence. He's the go-to there, while Bouchard shares the opportunity with the rest of the defence.

Relative to the rest of the Condors' defence, he's got the highest point total, but also the lowest +/-. Though I wouldn't put too much stock into +/-, as Bakersfield's goaltending has been horrific without Starrett, and Bouchard has gotten half of his points via the PP. I do like his shot totals though; over 2.6 a game, while the next best on the defence are at ~2.

Nothing that truly merits a call-up, but no major red-flags yet (unless you count a rookie having challenges defensively in the first half season of their pro-careers as a red-flag).

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind calling him up the week before the all-star break. Let him get some NHL practices and maybe a game, and then send him back down with a clearer outline of what he needs to work on.

Thanks for the write up!

I think the Oilers are in a good spot right now with their defense. Who does Bouchard displace?

Nurse/Bear
Klefbomb/Larsson
Russell/Benning

I'd like to see Holland trade Russell to open up cap space for Nurse's extension and create a spot for Jones/Lagesson.

Given that 3LD will likely be one of Jones/Lagesson next season, I'd prefer to hold onto Benning since he has that NHL experience. He's a very solid 3rd pairing D in the NHL.

At the 2021 deadline I'd trade either Benning or Larsson for help at forward and replace them with Bouchard.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Thanks for the write up!

I think the Oilers are in a good spot right now with their defense. Who does Bouchard displace?

Nurse/Bear
Klefbomb/Larsson
Russell/Benning

I'd like to see Holland trade Russell to open up cap space for Nurse's extension and create a spot for Jones/Lagesson.

Given that 3LD will likely be one of Jones/Lagesson next season, I'd prefer to hold onto Benning since he has that NHL experience. He's a very solid 3rd pairing D in the NHL.

At the 2021 deadline I'd trade either Benning or Larsson for help at forward and replace them with Bouchard.

Benning and Russell would be the correct answers. Frees up ~4 mil, as their replacements will/should cost ~2mil.

What I'm hope to see next seasoning

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Bouchard
Lagesson-Larsson
Jones

Re-sign Persson too if you want to be 8 deep, and have a swing option so you can send Bouchard down if he needs more time. (I would)

If I was a betting man, it'll be one of the young defencemen that will get snagged by Seattle.

• Nurse and Klefbom are locks to be protected.
  • Larsson is UFA, and could be left unprotected and then re-signed afterward if you want to keep him. See what SJ did last at the last expansion draft.
  • Bouchard, Samorukov, Broberg, and Berglund are exempt. (Plus Kemp and Kesselring in Collage)
  • Leaves you with one (or two) spot(s) to protect Bear, Jones, and Lagesson (or possibly Larsson if he's re-signed eariler; or Persson if he works his way into the conversation or if the Oil bring in someone else over the next 18 months)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad