Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Benning and Russell would be the correct answers. Frees up ~4 mil, as their replacements will/should cost ~2mil.

What I'm hope to see next seasoning

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Bouchard
Lagesson-Larsson
Jones

Re-sign Persson too if you want to be 8 deep, and have a swing option so you can send Bouchard down if he needs more time. (I would)

I just hope that Holland proceeds with caution, because he needs to prepare for the expansion draft. One of Jones, Lagesson, Persson, or Benning need to be given a 2 year extension, and that player MUST meet the # of games played required. Otherwise we'll be forced to expose Bear.

"One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons." - source

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I just hope that Holland proceeds with caution, because he needs to prepare for the expansion draft. One of Jones, Lagesson, Persson, or Benning need to be given a 2 year extension, and that player MUST meet the # of games played required. Otherwise we'll be forced to expose Bear.

"One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons." - source

Good timing and point, I cover that in my edit :DD

If I was a betting man, it'll be one of the young defencemen that will get snagged by Seattle.

• Nurse and Klefbom are locks to be protected.
  • Larsson is UFA, and could be left unprotected and then re-signed afterward if you want to keep him. See what SJ did last at the last expansion draft.
  • Bouchard, Samorukov, Broberg, and Berglund are exempt. (Plus Kemp and Kesselring in Collage)
  • Leaves you with one (or two) spot(s) to protect Bear, Jones, and Lagesson (or possibly Larsson if he's re-signed eariler; or Persson if he works his way into the conversation or if the Oil bring in someone else over the next 18 months)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

This is a very good point. But you can always trade for such a player. The guy could be a #7. That said probably two or three of this group, Jones, Lagesson, Persson, or Benning will make the requirement by the end of next year.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Good timing and point, I cover that in my edit :DD

My protected list: McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Kassian, Yamamoto, Benson, ? | Klefbomb, Nurse, Bear.

I like that Bear is made for the modern NHL and is entering his prime years. We can likely get a value contract out of him if Holland decides to sign him long-term (I think he should). I'm on the fence about Larsson. I'd give him at most a 3 year extension, which conveniently expires at the end of Bouchard's ELC. He brings the experience, leadership, and physicality that our other RD lack.

The '?' is ideally a 3C that we've gone out and acquired from somewhere. I'm open to exposing Neal for the cap space as I'm not sure if he'll be worth his contract in the remaining 2 years of his deal.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
This is a very good point. But you can always trade for such a player. The guy could be a #7. That said probably two or three of this group, Jones, Lagesson, Persson, or Benning will make the requirement by the end of next year.

Fair enough, in that case this doesn't pose as big of an issue as I thought. Trading for that player would mean exposing one of our young D to waivers.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Fair enough, in that case this doesn't pose as big of an issue as I thought. Trading for that player would mean exposing one of our young D to waivers.
It's going to be almost impossible to avoid exposing one of the young d unless they make a deal with Seattle. The key is that you want to be able to control who you expose. Your observation about having to have a guy under contract with at least 40 NHL games is something that needs to be met so as not to be forced into exposing Bear.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Maybe thats why Jones get so many games over other alternatives.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
It's going to be almost impossible to avoid exposing one of the young d unless they make a deal with Seattle. The key is that you want to be able to control who you expose. Your observation about having to have a guy under contract with at least 40 NHL games is something that needs to be met so as not to be forced into exposing Bear.

I think thats a good plan 2.b. Have a deal in hand, if the two top choices doesnt get in.
Preferable dealing Neal on his last year together with a small prospect or at worst, a high draftpick.

We will see if Kassian can stay productive in about two years. Probably, but he can also start to decline.
My guess is McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Yamamoto, Benson, Haas, some new guy | Klefbom, Nurse, Bear.

My bet is that Kassian, Larsson or Nygård, if he is still here, gets picked.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

meh. That’s easy enough to work around. You just sign a guy who played full time this year, but isn’t good enough to get 1 million +, to a 2 year deal to be our #7 next year. That hits the 70 games over 2 years requirement, even if you end up leaving them in the minors most of the year next year. Say Luca Sbisa or Michael Del Zotto

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
meh. That’s easy enough to work around. You just sign a guy who played full time this year, but isn’t good enough to get 1 million +, to a 2 year deal to be our #7 next year. That hits the 70 games over 2 years requirement, even if you end up leaving them in the minors most of the year next year. Say Luca Sbisa or Michael Del Zotto
Yah, that's what I said in the previous post to the one you quoted.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Like many other players who didn't play at the recently completed WJC, Bouchard (and every other Oilers prospect) is off Craig Button top-50 NHL-affiliated prospect list. His recency bias towards the latest WJC has become comical at this point.

I don't understand how that guy has a job. I suppose someone finds him entertaining?

No offense to those that like him but I basically ignore or believe the opposite of everything this guy says. He is a complete joke and always has.

Edit: Having Broberg outside the top 50 is fine after his season to date but still having him as our #1 prospect is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I don't understand how that guy has a job. I suppose someone finds him entertaining?

No offense to those that like him but I basically ignore or believe the opposite of everything this guy says. He is a complete joke and always has.

Edit: Having Broberg outside the top 50 is fine after his season to date but still having him as our #1 prospect is ridiculous.

An embarrasing list. The recency bias is just unreal. He has Joel Hofer ranked higher than any Oilers prospect. Literally know one knew about him until the world juniors, and now he's a top-50 worldwide prospect. Just ridiculous.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Just as an update

Bouchard is:

4th for rookie defenseman points in the AHL
Tied for 2nd for rookie defenseman goals
1st in shots (which we need from the back end on the big team) Somehow he has 20 more shots than 2nd place

Two of the rookie defensemen ahead of Bouchard in points are 24 and 23 year olds.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hopefully he is improving defensively in AHL because he surely isn't 'scoring like mad' anymore

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Like many other players who didn't play at the recently completed WJC, Bouchard (and every other Oilers prospect) is off Craig Button top-50 NHL-affiliated prospect list. His recency bias towards the latest WJC has become comical at this point.
Also called Broberg a #1 can't-miss defenseman after his Hlinka-Gretzky tourney in 2018
now Rasmus Sandin is the greatest thing since sliced bread

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Impressive. Akil Thomas is now better than any Oilers prospect because of 1 goal.

Button is getting lazier and lazier every year. Dude is just gonna be a blob in a motorized chair on TSN in a couple years.

AvOiL

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2008
Calgary, AB
Also called Broberg a #1 can't-miss defenseman after his Hlinka-Gretzky tourney in 2018
now Rasmus Sandin is the greatest thing since sliced bread

Button also had Broberg ranked at #7 in his final draft rankings for the 2019 NHL Draft, ahead of names like Cozens, Knight, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Robertson, Fagemo, McMichael, Harley, Heinola, Seider, Krebs, Soderstrom, Hoglander, Foote, Alnefelt, Tomasino, Pinto, all of whom made his top-50 drafted prospects list.

I understand that Broberg has not had an excellent season to date, but he also hasn't had a poor season. If you look up my previous posts (including my draft list), you'll see that I was not a fan of picking Broberg at #8, particularly with Zegras and Caufield still available. That said, I don't think there's any question that Broberg (and Bouchard for that matter) are top-50 drafted prospects. I also have no doubt that both Broberg and Bouchard will be NHL defensemen (likely top-4 defensemen), and I am confident that at least a fifth of the players in Button's top-50 will not develop into legitimate NHL players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese