Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Any time there's a player who looks like they could be a top AHL rookie there's a certain amount of people who don't want that...they want to push the player to the NHL instead. "If he can be a 55+ point player in the AHL then why not have him in the NHL?" He's starting the season as a 19-year-old, and a defenseman. He should be in the minors...there's no harm in that.
Thankfully for the first time in a long time there are a couple things saving us this year.

First is Holland. He has no issue letting guys mature in the AHL. That and this isn't Holland's pick either. Not like he's going to go out of his way to prove that he picked the right guy. Even if Bouchard is ready, he isn't going to feel forced to put Bouchard into the NHL.

Second we have other rookie options with more pro experience. Lots of times guys would be thrown in because we simply had no better options. This year when it comes to the rookie d-men, if one clearly isn't ready we have other guys to give a shot.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Any time there's a player who looks like they could be a top AHL rookie there's a certain amount of people who don't want that...they want to push the player to the NHL instead. "If he can be a 55+ point player in the AHL then why not have him in the NHL?" He's starting the season as a 19-year-old, and a defenseman. He should be in the minors...there's no harm in that.

There is also becoming alot more examples of D not needing the traditional long term path to the NHL. Charlie McAvoy is one of the examples of young D not needing the AHL. Young D are way, way better prepared for the NHL nowadays. 10-15-20 years ago, minor teams prioritized low skilled, tough guys at the D position. Todays development systems prioritize skill and smarts, so that is why so many top young D can make the jump right into the NHL, bypassing the 1-2 years in the AHL

I can defiantly see an argument to put him in the NHL right away (assuming he doesnt suck in camp and isnt anchored to Russell in the regular season). The AHL deploys different systems and its a different game. If you want to have Bouchard learning the NHL game to have his development come along faster, you have to have him in the NHL learning the NHL systems and speed

I wont be surprised to see him play 15 games in the AHL then be in the NHL full time. Nor will I falt Holland if he plays minimal time in the AHL

Reactions: La Bamba

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I agree but he needs to be at least passable defensively because we would put him out on the ice a lot.

Meh, we play Kris Russell 17 mins a night and there is nothing passable about his defense. As long as Bouchard is developing offensively and taking some strides defensively, its all good

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There is also becoming alot more examples of D not needing the traditional long term path to the NHL. Charlie McAvoy is one of the examples of young D not needing the AHL. Young D are way, way better prepared for the NHL nowadays. 10-15-20 years ago, minor teams prioritized low skilled, tough guys at the D position. Todays development systems prioritize skill and smarts, so that is why so many top young D can make the jump right into the NHL, bypassing the 1-2 years in the AHL

I can defiantly see an argument to put him in the NHL right away (assuming he doesnt suck in camp and isnt anchored to Russell in the regular season). The AHL deploys different systems and its a different game. If you want to have Bouchard learning the NHL game to have his development come along faster, you have to have him in the NHL learning the NHL systems and speed

I wont be surprised to see him play 15 games in the AHL then be in the NHL full time. Nor will I falt Holland if he plays minimal time in the AHL
In McAvoy's case it doesn't hurt that he came to a team full of veteran's with the ultimate mentor in Chara. A team that is defensively responsible as well.

In Edmonton it's a perfect storm of no real leadership or mentor, no goalie and a team that doesn't play great two-way hockey. Not exactly the perfect place to throw an offensive rookie in to learn.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In McAvoy's case it doesn't hurt that he came to a team full of veteran's with the ultimate mentor in Chara. A team that is defensively responsible as well.

In Edmonton it's a perfect storm of no real leadership or mentor, no goalie and a team that doesn't play great two-way hockey. Not exactly the perfect place to throw an offensive rookie in to learn.

There are other examples other than McAvoy, although I do agree it was a good situation to come into. I do also agree its a tough situation for Bouchard given our roster. It would have been awesome for Sekera to be able to be his partner on the bottom pairing.

I dont think its impossible or a bad decision to have him in the NHL. I see a path for it to happen. But I do agree it wont be as easy as it would be if it were a different team with better vet D

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Sure hope Bouchard goes and tears up the AHL.

Probably best for him to stay there this year, although I'm pretty convinced he's already one of our top 4 d-men.

Gonna be a rough year for D I think. Klefbom and Persson (if he stays healthy) might end up being the top pairing if Nurse-Larsson continue to struggle.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I like this move, I think Holland had decided that if Bouchard didn't assert himself as a top-4 defenseman throughout the preseason, he was going to go to the AHL, and that's where we are. I suspect he'll do very well in Bakersfield.

Reactions: SourOil

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
It's the right call to start the season. Still I wouldn't be surprised to see him up by American Thanksgiving or Christmas.

With Bear and Persson both potentially making the big team, Bouchard's should get plenty of time playing offensively. Day is the only other RHS defenceman that should be in the lineup consistently.

Lagesson-Jones
Lowe-Day
Samorukov-Bouchard
Manning(?), Kulevich, Desharnais

Reactions: MessierII

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

He also had Chara.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's the right call to start the season. Still I wouldn't be surprised to see him up by American Thanksgiving or Christmas.

With Bear and Persson both potentially making the big team, Bouchard's should get plenty of time playing offensively. Day is the only other RHS defenceman that should be in the lineup consistently.

Lagesson-Jones
Lowe-Day
Samorukov-Bouchard
Manning(?), Kulevich, Desharnais

That defence is going to kick some AHL ass. :nod:

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016

Exactly what happened to Schultz

Reactions: Throttlehead

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

Excuse me but we have an all time great stay at home defenseman that has 6 rings that can mentor the kids just fine. He knows a thing or two about winning.

And if that doesn't work you have Wayne you could call up for advice. I mean wow! look at all that championship experience, how could we lose?

Reactions: joestevens29

Slippery Fingers

Sep 25, 2019
Calgary
I've watched this team rush players far too often so I am okay with Bouch being in the minors. Last thing we need to see is Bouchard struggling in a top 4 role and I think this camp showed he still has some growing to do on both sides of the puck.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly what happened to Schultz
Schultz is a different IMO. He was a guy that showed well in his first three pro seasons. He had his defensive flaws, but he still has some of them. Offensively though he was doing fine all things considered.

The problem really became when they expected in his 4th year that he could do more and he just couldn't. It also didn't help that everyone except Sekera was hurt that year and Schultz was pushed to do more than he really was capable of. We threw Schultz into a bad situation, but it really wasn't his rookie or sophmore year that he struggled to do anything positive.

In fact where he went sideways was similar to Petry in his 4th/5th year. Petry was put in a similar position where they asked him to play a lot of minutes and he simply wasn't that guy. Put him or Schultz onto a 2nd pairing and you really aren't complaining all that much about them.

Which when I look at all of this is why I'm scared of where a d stands today. Our experienced guys are going to be too much to begin with. Anyone goes down and then all of a sudden we are back to playing them even more than they can actually should. Then you risk running 2 or 3 rookies in your lineup. With no true top pair guys it's a very poor makeup that can very easily backfire.

Reactions: Slippery Fingers

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Except Lowe / Day

That pairing sucks.
Lowe is there to mentor young guys. If Bear an Persson stay in Edm you will see
Jones-Bouchard
Lagesson-Day
Samorukov-Lowe
The top 4 are near NHL ready while Sam is just getting his feet wet. Expect the top 4 all to get NHL games this season

Slippery Fingers

Sep 25, 2019
Calgary
In fact where he went sideways was similar to Petry in his 4th/5th year. Petry was put in a similar position where they asked him to play a lot of minutes and he simply wasn't that guy. Put him or Schultz onto a 2nd pairing and you really aren't complaining all that much about them.
That is just it right there. Pushing guys too high up the depth chart has been such an achilles heel for this team for going on 15 years now. Go back through the decade (and a half) of darkness. Smid in 2007. Grebeshkov, Tom Gilbert, Petry, Schultz. It's practically tradition around here!

Reactions: joestevens29

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I suspect the plan all along unless they failed in preseason was to play one of Bear and Persson with Bouchard going to the AHL.

Fine by me.

Reactions: ujju2

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Someone made a good point with the Bruins young Dman coming in and having a good mentor in Chara. We never had that luxury here in Edmonton. If Pronger had of stayed, we would probably have had a good stable of Dman to come up thru the ranks.
The year we took Drai at 3rd, Ekblad went 1st overall. He was even granted early exemption to play junior. I’m not saying he has been a bust in Florida, but if they could do draft over, where would Ekblad go? He didn’t have a Chara to play with. He had Brian Campbell , Kulikov and Willie Mitchell. No offence to them , but they are no Chara

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Full year, long playoff run in the AHL.
Bear and Persson can stop gap just fine.
His next call up has to be his last.
I'd argue Bear and Persson are more than just a stopgap - Bear has been developing in our system for a few years now and Persson was one of the best defensemen in Sweden.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad