Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think people are jumping onto the Bouchard hype train too quickly here.
#1 - He's still got flaws to get over. His skating needs work and he needs to get used to making decisions at a faster pace if he wants to be relevant in the NHL.
#2 This is the OHL. Not AHL, let alone NHL.
#3 He playing on a very talented team.
  • Connor McMichael (C) led the team in points and is ranked 22nd-29th at this up coming draft depending on where you go.
  • Liam Foudy (C) was over 1PPG and he went 18th overall at the last draft.
  • Adam Boqvist (D) was drafted a few spots before Bouchard and his offensive numbers were almost as impressive as Bouchard's in the regular season.
  • Alec Regula (D) was drafted in the 3rd round at the last draft and put up almost 0.6PPG.
  • Nathan Nunkley (C) and Billy Boskal (C) put up 53 and 36 points respectively in the regular season and are both ranked top 200 at the upcoming draft.
  • Undrafted Kevin Hancock has put up 1.5PPG and .06GPG in 33GP with the London Knights. He was drafted from the Owen Sound where had around the same PPG.
This team has a bunch of powerful offensive weapons and it's really hard to tell if Bouchard is the main catalyst.
And who is the best player on this powerhouse team?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
#1 - He's still got flaws to get over. His skating needs work and he needs to get used to making decisions at a faster pace if he wants to be relevant in the NHL.
  • Connor McMichael (C) led the team in points and is ranked 22nd-29th at this up coming draft depending on where you go.
  • Adam Boqvist (D) was drafted a few spots before Bouchard and his offensive numbers were almost as impressive as Bouchard's in the regular season.
  • Alec Regula (D) was drafted in the 3rd round at the last draft and put up almost 0.6PPG.
  • Nathan Nunkley (C) and Billy Boskal (C) put up 53 and 36 points respectively in the regular season and are both ranked top 200 at the upcoming draft.
  • Undrafted Kevin Hancock has put up 1.5PPG and .06GPG in 33GP with the London Knights. He was drafted from the Owen Sound where had around the same PPG.
This team has a bunch of powerful offensive weapons and it's really hard to tell if Bouchard is the main catalyst.

Bringing up Dunkley and Moskal is like saying, "Yeah, McDavid is pretty good, but he plays with a bunch of offensive weapons like Kyle Brodziak and Colby Cave".

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I mean... you just have to look at last season to see what Bouchard was doing on a not great team..
Spoiler.. he led the team in scoring.

I think there is plenty of fair questions about whether his game will translate... but "hes good because he plays on a good team" is straight up bunk.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Best player on a bad team last season, best player on a good team this season.
Cannot really ask for more.

It will be exciting to see what he can do next season and the how the dynamics of the D in AHL/NHL will change.

Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Day, Stanton, Lowe
+
Bouchard, Persson, Samorukov, Berglund

Lots of options for Bakersfield, and it would probably be too optimistic to peg in more than 1 of them on the Oilers.

Lagesson Bear
Jones Bouchard/Persson
Samorukov Berglund/Day
Stanton/Lowe

Lots of RDs as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Best player on a bad team last season, best player on a good team this season.
Cannot really ask for more.

It will be exciting to see what he can do next season and the how the dynamics of the D in AHL/NHL will change.

Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Day, Stanton, Lowe
+
Bouchard, Persson, Samorukov, Berglund

Too many for Bakersfield and it would probably be too optimistic to peg in more than 1 of them on the Oilers.

At least one of these will be traded to/for AHL purpose and one for NHL purpose (still play AHL for a bit). Dang I sure hope they get it right and dont trade away a future NHL stud.

Reactions: LaGu

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I'd be surprised if a D prospect wasn't traded at the draft.

We simply don't have the room.

I'd prefer not to.. but maybe Logan Day? (Do we still own Logan after this year? Was he just an AHL signing?)

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I think the main areas of concern are defensive awareness and responsiveness.

He's going to be a player that is going to anger fans at times, because he plays very methodically and at times it looks like he doesn't have a great motor. To some observers, that means his compete level isn't there.

On the other hand, he's the captain, he's on the PK, he's maintained close to the same level of scoring with the Knights adding another offensive powerhouse in Boqvist.

It's hard to see anything but up arrows at this point.

Really hoping the Knights do well in the playoffs and Bouchard learns from that, similarly to how Draisaitl adjusted to being sent back to juniors and destroyed the competition for Kelowna in the WHL playoffs and the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
At least one of these will be traded to/for AHL purpose and one for NHL purpose (still play AHL for a bit)
Probably yes, I also have a bit of doubt around Persson/Berglund.

Persson is a bit of a hit or miss player, wouldn't surprise me at all if he actually manages to exceed expectations but at the same time I assume that if he struggles he could very well be traded off or sent back to Europe by TD 2020. Berglund wants to come over but I think (hope) the organisation realises that the SHL is not a bad option if the AHL is "full". I don't think it would be a bad option to have him over here for TC + some weeks in the AHL and then loan him to a SHL team over next season. I'd very much prefer him playing 20 mins per night in the SHL over being an AHL scratch or ECHL.

Reactions: dustrock

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
The Logjam is real, I personally think Bear gets traded for a forward prospect in a similiar position at the draft.

Jones is better and can play both sides so we keep him, teams are gonna drool over a puck moving RHD with a big shot. Bear could get a good return.

Reactions: dustrock

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
The Logjam is real, I personally think Bear gets traded for a forward prospect in a similiar position at the draft.

Jones is better and can play both sides so we keep him, teams are gonna drool over a puck moving RHD with a big shot. Bear could get a good return.
I agree with this. Also think Jones plays for the Oilers next season.

Reactions: Cypress

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'd be surprised if a D prospect wasn't traded at the draft.

We simply don't have the room.

I'd prefer not to.. but maybe Logan Day? (Do we still own Logan after this year? Was he just an AHL signing?)

Logan Day was just an AHL signing.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have been hard on Bouchard this year but anyone to say he isn't the best player on the team.... its laughable. He gets the toughest assignments top to bottom, has the second best +/- on the team for defenders (only better is older and has 1 better in like...9 extra games).

He makes defensive gaps sure, but anyone saying he isn't the offensive catalyst.....wow. They have never seen the Knights play. His offensive numbers took a bit of a dip but going back and watching shifts, when he is on the ice, the game defensively and offensively flows thru him. Go watch the last 2 playoff games and watch how the team plays when he is on the ice.

He is the Knights captain, it's his team and the team plays like it.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I have been hard on Bouchard this year but anyone to say he isn't the best player on the team.... its laughable. He gets the toughest assignments top to bottom, has the second best +/- on the team for defenders (only better is older and has 1 better in like...9 extra games).

He makes defensive gaps sure, but anyone saying he isn't the offensive catalyst.....wow. They have never seen the Knights play. His offensive numbers took a bit of a dip but going back and watching shifts, when he is on the ice, the game defensively and offensively flows thru him. Go watch the last 2 playoff games and watch how the team plays when he is on the ice.

Ya what happened? If I'm not mistaken you were a huge fan of getting him then suddenly you became super critical

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
NHL GMs and Scouts and smart hockey insiders: Bouchard is bluechipper who will become a damn good NHLer

HFers and hockey morons like Button: Bouchards game wont translate to the NHL.

Not sure which group I should believe

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
We get it.. you don’t like Bouchard.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ya what happened? If I'm not mistaken you were a huge fan of getting him then suddenly you became super critical
It was a sudden realization that he wasn't as close to NHL ready as I thought.

I had expected him to take a major step forward this year based on the improved team around him and him being older for his draft year. He offensively is the same as last year which with an improved team a little disapointing but not bad and his defensive game hasn't taken the step forward it should.

Basically I had extremely high expectations based on what I have seen but those take a huge step back when he didn't improve like I thought he would.

He will still be an NHL defender but I think he is at least 2 years away from being close to NHL ready when I originally thought he had the ability to be a staple in our top 6 as early as next year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I had expected him to take a major step forward this year based on the improved team around him and him being older for his draft year. He offensively is the same as last year which with an improved team a little disapointing but not bad and his defensive game hasn't taken the step forward it should.

Basically I had extremely high expectations based on what I have seen but those take a huge step back when he didn't improve like I thought he would.

He will still be an NHL defender but I think he is at least 2 years away from being close to NHL ready when I originally thought he had the ability to be a staple in our top 6 as early as next year.

No defensive improvement?

Everything i heard says he made good strides defensively.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You do understand having more offensive weapons doesn’t always equal in more point production?

His minutes are also significantly less than last year

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
NHL GMs and Scouts and smart hockey insiders: Bouchard is bluechipper who will become a damn good NHLer

HFers and hockey morons like Button: Bouchards game wont translate to the NHL.

Not sure which group I should believe

Button never said that.
God I hate it when people fabricate shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad