Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
what did he say?
He said he has to work on his quickness,intensity, compete...etc. Or something along those lines.
No different than most any 19 year old. They all have stuff to work on.
People fabricate shit. Im guessing cause they (Button et al) don't slobber about the fan... favorite player

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He said he has to work on his quickness,intensity, compete...etc. Or something along those lines.
No different than most any 19 year old. They all have stuff to work on.
People fabricate ****. Im guessing cause they (Button et al) don't slobber about the fan... favorite player
You think that’s why people hate button? Haha okay

Reactions: A91

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We get it.. you don’t like Bouchard.

Don't put words in my mouth. If you can't stand reading what I'm saying block me or don't bother wasting my time talking to me.

What?

Everyone's happy he's had a great start to the playoffs and rightfully dismissing the opinions of those who were calling him a bust after another successful OHL season, because he had a less than stellar WJC.

Not like people are anointing him our saviour...

Why is there an issue with being excited and optimistic for a prospect?

Thanks for bringing everyone back to earth though, we don't want optimism and positive prospect talk ruining the great vibe we have going around here.

There's positive, and then there's also drinking so much cool-aid that you're one step away from labeling him a savior like we did with Schremp. Cool story, Bouchard's flaws are very similar to Schremps. Leaving the whole learning to play hockey in your own end part aside; skating and faster decision making are what Bouchard needs to work on to be able to see his skills translate in the NHL.

Because of this I'm going to assume he plays the entire 19/20 season in the AHL.

Bringing up Dunkley and Moskal is like saying, "Yeah, McDavid is pretty good, but he plays with a bunch of offensive weapons like Kyle Brodziak and Colby Cave".

Just stating what they've got. I remember going to a lot of Giants games during their first two seasons and the best we had was Mark Fistric and some guy I can't remember who went in the 3rd round and never played more than a few dozen games in the NHL.

And who is the best player on this powerhouse team?

Hard to say. It's either Bouquivst or Bouchard. I think Bouquvist's season deserves a bit more appreciation and hype than it's been getting this year considering it's his first year in North America. While he did spend some time playing against adults before being drafted, it was only for 15 games of last season. Before then he was playing with kids just like Bouchard.

Is a talented team, but their highest scorer was still only 39th in the OHL.

Yup. Nonetheless, I don't think you can expect to have a league leading scorer on a team that gets so many of it's points from the rear unless you've got Bobby Orr on your team.

I'm not a big fan of Bouchard but he tore the OHL apart in his draft year on a team that was much worse than this one so I wouldn't dismiss his ability to be a catalyst at that level.

Bouchard is an elite level junior defenseman, I just have doubts that it will translate to the next level. I think he'll always need to be sheltered in the NHL, his defense will be a major liability IMO.

I'm not willing to cast doubt on his future yet. I just want to be realistic. Even if he does turn into a 60-80 point d-man it's not going to happen over night, it's not going to happen if he secures an NHL roster position next season and it's not going to happen any faster if he jump on his hype train that will only lead to more pressure being thrown on the kid.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Trading Bear is going to be a mistake.

While I'm not in favor of trading him, I think his stock dropped a bit this season. He didn't start scoring consistently till mid January and he's been in and out of the line-up all year. Needs to stay healthy.

At this point I see Jones as the guy on the farm team we can't afford to trade.

There's a distinct possibility that we could see Nurse, Sekera, Russell and Larsson leave the team.
I could see Russell and Sekera leaving after their contracts expire. Who knows, maybe they get traded.

I'd be surprised if Edmonton didn't trade Larsson and while Nurse has put up awesome numbers offensively this year, he's a bit of a paper tiger. Klefbom injuries and the Connor McDavid effect have clearly bloated his stats.

With so many left handed d-men potentially leaving I see Jones being much more valuable at this point. Not to mention that he's much more effective at even strength than Bear.

Reactions: harpoon and Cloned

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I have no idea why "people" hate Button. I don't really care. But if people fabricate **** about what he says I guess that could be a start.

Craig Button is an idiot. He's essentially Pierre McGuire if Pierre spent less time pontificating about Sidney Crosby's meaty thighs and even more time watching junior hockey.

He has hard opinions about unknowable things, is wrong often and people forget how wrong he was because who really remembers what a blowhard said months ago. That makes him tough to take as a serious analyst, and maybe that'd be okay if he were the blow-hard TV personality you'd see on an NFL panel show, but he's constantly positioned (and loves to position himself) as an expert.

If he were an expert, he'd still have an NHL career. He only ever had one because his dad was connected, and only ever got to keep one because he was on the right team and the right time. He was he least effectual GM the Flames ever had and he's the worst analyst of any sort the TSN crew has today.

Some of my favorite Button memories are when he said that Mark Fistric was the missing piece for the Oilers to make the playoffs and how he ranted about how the Columbus team was going to be the worst in the league because their best players were Dubinsky and Saad (they finished with 108 points). Two examples of literally hundreds of times he's been dunked on by reality on his TSN panel and radio hit spots.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
My absolute sincerest apologies. HFers who say his game won't translate well to the NHL and morons like Button who have an at worst top20 prospect ranked outside the top50.

God I hate it when people get so butt hurt over **** on the internet

It's as if you punched Daryl in the Nose

Reactions: A91 and Llamamoto

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
My absolute sincerest apologies. HFers who say his game won't translate well to the NHL and morons like Button who have an at worst top20 prospect ranked outside the top50.

God I hate it when people get so butt hurt over **** on the internet
Not butt hurt at all. You might be good with guys fabricating shit ( presumably because they are “butt hurt” their fav player wasn’t slobbered over).Clearly you do it yourself. I was merely pointing out that’s not what he said.
It’s not tough. If you try hard you can figure it out.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Don't put words in my mouth. If you can't stand reading what I'm saying block me or don't bother wasting my time talking to me.

There's positive, and then there's also drinking so much cool-aid that you're one step away from labeling him a savior like we did with Schremp. Cool story, Bouchard's flaws are very similar to Schremps. Leaving the whole learning to play hockey in your own end part aside; skating and faster decision making are what Bouchard needs to work on to be able to see his skills translate in the NHL.

Because of this I'm going to assume he plays the entire 19/20 season in the AHL.

Just stating what they've got. I remember going to a lot of Giants games during their first two seasons and the best we had was Mark Fistric and some guy I can't remember who went in the 3rd round and never played more than a few dozen games in the NHL.

Hard to say. It's either Bouquivst or Bouchard. I think Bouquvist's season deserves a bit more appreciation and hype than it's been getting this year considering it's his first year in North America. While he did spend some time playing against adults before being drafted, it was only for 15 games of last season. Before then he was playing with kids just like Bouchard.

Yup. Nonetheless, I don't think you can expect to have a league leading scorer on a team that gets so many of it's points from the rear unless you've got Bobby Orr on your team.

I'm not willing to cast doubt on his future yet. I just want to be realistic. Even if he does turn into a 60-80 point d-man it's not going to happen over night, it's not going to happen if he secures an NHL roster position next season and it's not going to happen any faster if he jump on his hype train that will only lead to more pressure being thrown on the kid.

Bouchard will be a 30 to 40 pts man if you are lucky

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Not butt hurt at all. You might be good with guys fabricating **** ( presumably because they are “butt hurt” their fav player wasn’t slobbered over).Clearly you do it yourself. I was merely pointing out that’s not what he said.
It’s not tough. If you try hard you can figure it out.
So you think putting Ty Smith, Owen Tippet and Noah Dobson higher up in the top 50 prospects over Bouchard was completely justified and did not raise the eyebrows of more than just Oiler fans?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Bouchard will be a 30 to 40 pts man if you are lucky

Where do you get that number from?
Either he figures out how to adapt to the speed of the NHL game (most highly drafted prospects do) or he doesn't.
I don't see how his potential goes from 60 to 30.
If he can't figure out the NHL he wont' be given enough ice time to put up 30 points and if he figures it out coaches will use him in ways to take advantage of his skill set and regardless of whether or not he's able to play great defensively he'll end up putting up more points than that.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
While I'm not in favor of trading him, I think his stock dropped a bit this season. He didn't start scoring consistently till mid January and he's been in and out of the line-up all year. Needs to stay healthy.
We carry Klefbom, ‘staying healthy’ is a relative term. I’m not aware that Bear has had any injury trouble prior to this season. I don’t think it’s a big factor.

As far as his stock dropping, I’m not sure he has ever got the respect he deserves. Always playing in the shadow of the guy with the name pedigree. If you look at career stats, they are pretty much dead even since turning pro.

AHL/Jones 102-7-35-42. Minus 16. 67 PIM.
AHL/Bear 83-10-36-46. Plus six. 42 PIM.

NHL/Jones 17-1-5-6. Minus nine. 6 PIM.
NHL/Bear 18-1-3-4. Minus eleven. 10 PIM.
At this point I see Jones as the guy on the farm team we can't afford to trade
Both 21. Jones three weeks older. I think Bear is more than holding his own so far. I say we let it play out a bit more before making decisions on which one to hold onto. Bear may surprise you yet. Anyway, hopefully they both turn into players that can help the big club. Dare to dream, they could even be a feared pairing one day.

Reactions: thadd and Oilhawks

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
There's no player on the farm we can't afford to trade. Not even one.

The Oilers have like 5-6 good NHL prospects on D with 3 prime-aged top-4 defenseman on the team. If you're upgrading significantly somewhere on the roster, be prepared for it to cost you some shiny blue chips.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Looking forward to seeing if he can score at a PPG in the AHL next year. That Bakersfield Defence could be fun to watch if they keep all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad