Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: Scoring like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Craig Button watching Bouchard playoff highlights.

s5cwzm.gif
It still seems so strange to me his comments regarding Bouchard. Listen to what he said about Bouchard at 0:48 of this video prior to him being drafted.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Button is a guy who wants to make bold predictions. It's why he always rips a top end player to fail and tries to glorify his a darkhorse

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think people are jumping onto the Bouchard hype train too quickly here.
#1 - He's still got flaws to get over. His skating needs work and he needs to get used to making decisions at a faster pace if he wants to be relevant in the NHL.
#2 This is the OHL. Not AHL, let alone NHL.
#3 He playing on a very talented team.
  • Connor McMichael (C) led the team in points and is ranked 22nd-29th at this up coming draft depending on where you go.
  • Liam Foudy (C) was over 1PPG and he went 18th overall at the last draft.
  • Adam Boqvist (D) was drafted a few spots before Bouchard and his offensive numbers were almost as impressive as Bouchard's in the regular season.
  • Alec Regula (D) was drafted in the 3rd round at the last draft and put up almost 0.6PPG.
  • Nathan Nunkley (C) and Billy Boskal (C) put up 53 and 36 points respectively in the regular season and are both ranked top 200 at the upcoming draft.
  • Undrafted Kevin Hancock has put up 1.5PPG and .06GPG in 33GP with the London Knights. He was drafted from the Owen Sound where had around the same PPG.
This team has a bunch of powerful offensive weapons and it's really hard to tell if Bouchard is the main catalyst.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
#1 - He's still got flaws to get over. His skating needs work and he needs to get used to making decisions at a faster pace if he wants to be relevant in the NHL.
  • Connor McMichael (C) led the team in points and is ranked 22nd-29th at this up coming draft depending on where you go.
  • Adam Boqvist (D) was drafted a few spots before Bouchard and his offensive numbers were almost as impressive as Bouchard's in the regular season.
  • Alec Regula (D) was drafted in the 3rd round at the last draft and put up almost 0.6PPG.
  • Nathan Nunkley (C) and Billy Boskal (C) put up 53 and 36 points respectively in the regular season and are both ranked top 200 at the upcoming draft.
  • Undrafted Kevin Hancock has put up 1.5PPG and .06GPG in 33GP with the London Knights. He was drafted from the Owen Sound where had around the same PPG.
This team has a bunch of powerful offensive weapons and it's really hard to tell if Bouchard is the main catalyst.

What?

Everyone's happy he's had a great start to the playoffs and rightfully dismissing the opinions of those who were calling him a bust after another successful OHL season, because he had a less than stellar WJC.

Not like people are anointing him our saviour...

Why is there an issue with being excited and optimistic for a prospect?

Thanks for bringing everyone back to earth though, we don't want optimism and positive prospect talk ruining the great vibe we have going around here.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Forgot that we aren’t allowed to be excited for our prospects.

Even with his team being so good, Bouchard has been the best player on the ice in the 2 games and it’s not that close

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Bouchard is definitely a main catalyst. Last year their team sucked, but he still led his team in points by a fair bit. He's also carrying his team in the playoffs right now. 7 points on the 9 goals their team has scores so far.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

What?

He obliterated the OHL in what was supposed to a rebuild for the Knights. Same s*** happened last year w/ ppl crediting other players over him. You don't do what he did with "poor" skating

Boqvist is only better b/c he is played to his strengths. Bouchard, for anyone with any insight, was not gonna repeat last year. And thankfully he didn't. Totally predicable. Why this is used as an argument is perplexing? Strip the team of all talent, play him as #1 30 min a night and lets talk how great Boqvist is.

He was asked to work on things. He has. The Knights are the #1 PK team this year w/ him helping the PK. His #'s are equivalent to Boqvist yet he has a different role, and is more improved all around. How is Boqvist's on the PK? Has Boqvist been the #1 dman all year?

Bouchard is also going thru motions. He got sent to the O after playing in the NHL. Human nature should be factored in also.

He played admirably in the NHL. This didn't happen?

Your post is riddled w/ excuses looking for him to fail.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bouchard is definitely a main catalyst. Last year their team sucked, but he still led his team in points by a fair bit. He's also carrying his team in the playoffs right now. 7 points on the 9 goals their team has scores so far.

Those points are irrelevant. Other teammates made it happen. His skating is too useless to be a factor:sarcasm:

Reactions: Llamamoto

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
And he looks too stiff and lazy.

Totally

I watched Sergachev skate around like a monkey his first NHL stint. Dahlin wasn't much better in his first few games

Bouchard looked pretty damn comfortable and w/ some predicable rookie lapses.

I see a NHL player, as much as the other 2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What?

Everyone's happy he's had a great start to the playoffs and rightfully dismissing the opinions of those who were calling him a bust after another successful OHL season, because he had a less than stellar WJC.

Not like people are anointing him our saviour...

Why is there an issue with being excited and optimistic for a prospect?

Thanks for bringing everyone back to earth though, we don't want optimism and positive prospect talk ruining the great vibe we have going around here.

It just baffles me how all these hockey "experts" you see in the media seem to put much more stock into a two week international tournament over the player's body of work throughout his junior career. This includes Mckenzie.

A player could lead his junior team in scoring and play well in the playoffs but because he rang one off the post instead of scoring in a WJC game, he folds under pressure and his game won't translate to the NHL (I'm stretching it here, but that's what it seems like).

I'm no hockey expert by any means but the WJC is just a tournament to me, it doesn't define a player or his future career, yet it certainly seems to with high-profile analysts.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I'm not a big fan of Bouchard but he tore the OHL apart in his draft year on a team that was much worse than this one so I wouldn't dismiss his ability to be a catalyst at that level.

Bouchard is an elite level junior defenseman, I just have doubts that it will translate to the next level. I think he'll always need to be sheltered in the NHL, his defense will be a major liability IMO.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Is a talented team, but their highest scorer was still only 39th in the OHL.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm not a big fan of Bouchard but he tore the OHL apart in his draft year on a team that was much worse than this one so I wouldn't dismiss his ability to be a catalyst at that level.

Bouchard is an elite level junior defenseman, I just have doubts that it will translate to the next level. I think he'll always need to be sheltered in the NHL, his defense will be a major liability IMO.

Seems to be the case with most offensive defensemen. They aren’t great defensively.

I will say that while he got torched a couple of times while with the Oilers, he didn’t look completely out of place defensively.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It still seems so strange to me his comments regarding Bouchard. Listen to what he said about Bouchard at 0:48 of this video prior to him being drafted.

Button consistently bashes everything Oilers except how good McDavid is. It’s funny some times (bashing Eakins, Chia and the like), but pretty lame in other instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->