Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Do NOT get me started on this topic, lol. It is a *travesty* that he doesn't get more calls, the NHL should be down-right ashamed of itself.

If he were a LA King, NY Ranger or an Arizona Coyote would this still be the case? Is it because he plays for a non Original 6 Canadian team or because the league wants parody instead of allowing 1 player to absolutely dominate the game?

Reactions: Samus44

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If he were a LA King, NY Ranger or an Arizona Coyote would this still be the case? Is it because he plays for a non Original 6 Canadian team or because the league wants parody instead of allowing 1 player to absolutely dominate the game?

Honestly, I don't think that is it at all. I don't think there is some grand conspiracy against him, based on where he plays or anything like that. I just think its the individual refs thinking "I can't call every hook/hold against McDavid, otherwise I'd call 3-4 penalties every... single... game against the other team". I think its the refs thinking that its too one-sided if they called the game by the actual rule-book. I think the same thing applies to other fast, high-skilled players, like Kane or MacKinnon.

The buck stops with the NHL head office of course, and they should be instructing the refs to call the game the way it is supposed to be called, and if it ends up that teams playing the Avs take 3-4 penalties a game on MacKinnon alone, then so be it. Opposing teams will either learn to not hook/grab/hold those players, or they will be given a ridiculous amount of PKs.

It really is crazy that the league hasn't figured out that scoring sells tickets and draws interest. You want to generate a TON of interest in the game NHL? Have Matthews score 50-in-50, or have McDavid challenge the 150 points mark. Call the game by the rules, and other teams will either give up more goals on the PK, or they will stop hooking/holding and give up more goals against the games elite players at 5v5. The NHL is the only league in the ENTIRE FREAKING WORLD that actually treats its stars significantly *worse* than they do the borderline players, who are barely good enough to be playing in the league. The most nut-ball thing about it though, is that it is literally stealing money from the owners and lowering interest in the league. The opportunity cost is almost incalculable.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Honestly, I don't think that is it at all. I don't think there is some grand conspiracy against him, based on where he plays or anything like that. I just think its the individual refs thinking "I can't call every hook/hold against McDavid, otherwise I'd call 3-4 penalties every... single... game against the other team". I think its the refs thinking that its too one-sided if they called the game by the actual rule-book. I think the same thing applies to other fast, high-skilled players, like Kane or MacKinnon.

The buck stops with the NHL head office of course, and they should be instructing the refs to call the game the way it is supposed to be called, and if it ends up that teams playing the Avs take 3-4 penalties a game on MacKinnon alone, then so be it. Opposing teams will either learn to not hook/grab/hold those players, or they will be given a ridiculous amount of PKs.

It really is crazy that the league hasn't figured out that scoring sells tickets and draws interest. You want to generate a TON of interest in the game NHL? Have Matthews score 50-in-50, or have McDavid challenge the 150 points mark. Call the game by the rules, and other teams will either give up more goals on the PK, or they will stop hooking/holding and give up more goals against the games elite players at 5v5. The NHL is the only league in the ENTIRE FREAKING WORLD that actually treats its stars significantly *worse* than they do the borderline players, who are barely good enough to be playing in the league. The most nut-ball thing about it though, is that it is literally stealing money from the owners and lowering interest in the league. The opportunity cost is almost incalculable.

We really need to get away from the idea that scoring sells. What sells is suspenseful games in any sport. To make my point Soccer is a low scoring sport, but people love it because of how technical it is and how one play could throw the whole game. I think if the NHL went to an even more structured game where there were very few break downs and games were close. It would create suspense and in turn create more interest. I mean I went to Lacrosse games in Edmonton, but they were boring because it was like basketball. Just back and forth scoring.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I've envisioned Bouchard cycling the pp half boards on the left side and point.

He brings a passing game that Klefbom and Nurse do not possess. Passing plays between Draisaitl and Bouchard could be lethal with the option still available for the McDavid Draisaitl pp passing play that is already near unstoppable.

I think the power play can get better with two more offensive weapons on the first unit. The second pp unit also dramatically increases in skill. What do people think about that?

We should put the two good PP dmen on PP 2. Dmen can really create plays and scoring opportunities for less talented forwards. If you watch how many goals are scored off tipped point shots or rebounds you'll understand why I say that.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I think this is always the smarter move to have two dmen on the second unit. You don't want to risk getting caught with 4 forwards as the penalty ends.
We should put the two good PP dmen on PP 2. Dmen can really create plays and scoring opportunities for less talented forwards. If you watch how many goals are scored off tipped point shots or rebounds you'll understand why I say that.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
We really need to get away from the idea that scoring sells. What sells is suspenseful games in any sport. To make my point Soccer is a low scoring sport, but people love it because of how technical it is and how one play could throw the whole game. I think if the NHL went to an even more structured game where there were very few break downs and games were close. It would create suspense and in turn create more interest. I mean I went to Lacrosse games in Edmonton, but they were boring because it was like basketball. Just back and forth scoring.

I think this is very, very wrong. Soccer has the benefit of having 100+ years of low scoring to draw upon. It's built into the fabric of the game in many ways (how they hand out penalty shots, how they determine ties, etc). In a sport like hockey, which is so determined by luck, scoring more is the way to result in more "expected" outcomes where the better teams win more. Lowering the scoring, and making teams fluke out a bounce-goal and then sit back the rest of the game to protect the lead, will not result in the better team winning more often. It results in the Swiss and German hockey approach int he early 2000s. Try finding a hockey fan that enjoyed watching those games - they don't exist basically, because it was awful, AWFUL, hockey.

Again, I just disagree with this whole-heartedly, but maybe I'm in the minority.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think this is very, very wrong. Soccer has the benefit of having 100+ years of low scoring to draw upon. It's built into the fabric of the game in many ways (how they hand out penalty shots, how they determine ties, etc). In a sport like hockey, which is so determined by luck, scoring more is the way to result in more "expected" outcomes where the better teams win more. Lowering the scoring, and making teams fluke out a bounce-goal and then sit back the rest of the game to protect the lead, will not result in the better team winning more often. It results in the Swiss and German hockey approach int he early 2000s. Try finding a hockey fan that enjoyed watching those games - they don't exist basically, because it was awful, AWFUL, hockey.

Again, I just disagree with this whole-heartedly, but maybe I'm in the minority.

The more gifted teams will show their skills on the technical side of the game especially the PP where they can really create. I have no interest in watching 7-8 goal games. If the goals are too easy it gets boring.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The more gifted teams will show their skills on the technical side of the game especially the PP where they can really create. I have no interest in watching 7-8 goal games. If the goals are too easy it gets boring.

But this is exactly what I am arguing for. I'm confused what you are arguing against? My entire thing is that if the refs called the rules how they are actually written, it would result in a LOT more penalties being drawn by the high skill, and especially high skill/high speed, players. The extra PPs would result in extra goals. Sorry, I'm just not following what part of that you are against?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
But this is exactly what I am arguing for. I'm confused what you are arguing against? My entire thing is that if the refs called the rules how they are actually written, it would result in a LOT more penalties being drawn by the high skill, and especially high skill/high speed, players. The extra PPs would result in extra goals. Sorry, I'm just not following what part of that you are against?

I'm against things like bigger nets, and smaller goalie pads to increase scoring. In fact I think the NHL should be trying to make it harder to score. Making the skilled plays that much more relevant.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm against things like bigger nets, and smaller goalie pads to increase scoring. In fact I think the NHL should be trying to make it harder to score. Making the skilled plays that much more relevant.
They can start that by calling the rule book so there’s not some false parity between a fourth liner and McDavid. This whole “don’t want to call 3-4 penalties” against plays on McDavid would stop pretty quick when they started getting called on all of it

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Very interesting that he is playing LD. Jones and Russell watch out, this kid is going to take someone's job this year.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
They can start that by calling the rule book so there’s not some false parity between a fourth liner and McDavid. This whole “don’t want to call 3-4 penalties” against plays on McDavid would stop pretty quick when they started getting called on all of it
Look how many fouls James Harden draws in the NBA. They should call things like that for NHL stars

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Completely agree... when you have a Manning, who clearly couldn't keep up getting a stick on the hip of a phenom who is holding an edge with a force and angle most guys can't even try... and it almost ends the career of (perhaps) the best skater the game has seen, you should realize the frailty of your product and reevaluate your "policies" that support parody at the expense of excellence and entertainment.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Completely agree... when you have a Manning, who clearly couldn't keep up getting a stick on the hip of a phenom who is holding an edge with a force and angle most guys can't even try... and it almost ends the career of (perhaps) the best skater the game has seen, you should realize the frailty of your product and reevaluate your "policies" that support parody at the expense of excellence and entertainment.

I know you meant parity but this word also works...

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I agree and the worst part is that teams recognize this and they build it into their game plan for defending these guys. They play the odds of hooking/holding/interfering with these guys every time they touch the puck knowing that maybe one in five infractions will be called.
The worst part is that it doesn’t go the other way, so many times McDavid and his teammates are called on the regular ticky tac shit.

It’s clear as day that the league uses officiating to maintain a competitive balance.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I agree and the worst part is that teams recognize this and they build it into their game plan for defending these guys. They play the odds of hooking/holding/interfering with these guys every time they touch the puck knowing that maybe one in five infractions will be called.
The worst part is that it doesn’t go the other way, so many times McDavid and his teammates are called on the regular ticky tac shit.

It’s clear as day that the league uses officiating to maintain a competitive balance.
That’s the bill belicheck school of defending. They won’t throw a flag on every play.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
I guess that’s why I enjoy lacrosse and wouldn’t go to a “free” soccer match

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Cant wait to see this guy at camp. I even thought he looked good as a rookie here. Some questions I read about his weaknesses need to be cleared up. Mainly the defence side of his game. Is he developing there, to the point of realistically being an NHL player ? Is he developing too slowly, causing flags to be raised ?

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Just based on my eye test and biased memory, I remember Bouchard looking good in terms of defensive IQ with a good defensive stick in high pressure situations during the few games he had played with the Oilers

Reactions: oobga and Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad