Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I think Bouchard will end up being a better offensive dman than Broberg
I mean that’s virtually guaranteed. They are very different prospects. Broberg is a all tools but hopefully can get them all in the tool box prospect, Bouchard is an elite offensive defenseman, and has been at every level he’s ever played at. If it was just offense Bouchard likely would have been in the NHL the last couple years. He just needs to learn how to be satisfactory in his own end.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Broberg and Bouchard would be a sick duo.
You have one with the sick passing and a cannon, the other with speed and size that can drive up the ice.

Throw in Samorukov into that core as well and we have really good young D prospect pool.

I’d argue that we are worst a top 3 D prospect pool in the NHL especially with Makar graduating from the Avs. Possibly the best, our forward pool on the hand while better after this draft is nowhere near the level our D prospects are.

I can’t remember a time in the last couple decades at least where we had a D pipeline this good even with Bear and Jones graduating.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
For Bouchard to reach his potential or most of it he will need a different kind of partner than Broberg.
However its nice to imagine all of Bear and Jones and Bouch and Broberg and Sami all continuing to develop, unlikely but possible. Linear development for most will hit snags along the way--maybe the oilers should invest in a coach that focuses only on 8 to 10 of our D.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

i think broberg will end up being a better offensive dman than bouchard.

I mean that’s virtually guaranteed. They are very different prospects. Broberg is a all tools but hopefully can get them all in the tool box prospect, Bouchard is an elite offensive defenseman, and has been at every level he’s ever played at. If it was just offense Bouchard likely would have been in the NHL the last couple years. He just needs to learn how to be satisfactory in his own end.

While Bouchard and Broberg are very different players, in my mind they are both currently on the primarily offensive defenseman path. Bouchard through IQ, shot, and passing; Broberg through speed and aggression.

Neither Bouchard or Broberg are looking "good" defensively imo. Both have had question marks in their own zone in the past and recently. While Broberg may be considered slightly better and have better tools to be better defensively, if they were both tossed into the nhl today I doubt that there would be enough of a difference defending against nhl talent between the two. Confusing I know but I just don't think either would be "good enough" defensively that either would be getting consistent praise for their work. I also don't believe either will add that aspect to their game for many moons.

I think statistically speaking Bouchard has the edge offensively. Already good nhl IQ, passing, and shot versus speed and aggression I lean towards Bouchard as well.

All things being equal Bouchard has the higher floor and higher ceiling offensively while Broberg has been billed as a raw talent that requires patience and development. Assuming Broberg is in the AHL next year at least for a bit we finally have an apples to apples situation to compare the two.

Broberg should be a better 2 way defender with his tool box. As a quick example Nurse should be a great 2 way defender as well but imo has really pushed and pushed to be an offensive threat to the point it hurts his overall game. I hope Broberg doesn't go that route. Our whole team currently seems far too focused on scoring points imo. Got to go back to the 2016 season and Adam Larsson to pick out an Oiler defender that dominated defensively. It's an area we are sorely lacking and Broberg and Nurse with their skating and size could make Edmonton a tough team to play against. Maybe Samourukov can also help in that area.

Bouchard, Broberg, and Samourukov are all tracking well and all tracking to have nhl careers but all 3 are still just potential until they actually make and stick in the NHL. Defenders don't usually hit their stride until 26 to 28. Even Nurse is only 25 and "could" make a big jump offensively and defensively to jump in the upper echelon of defenseman.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
While Bouchard and Broberg are very different players, in my mind they are both currently on the primarily offensive defenseman path. Bouchard through IQ, shot, and passing; Broberg through speed and aggression.

Neither Bouchard or Broberg are looking "good" defensively imo. Both have had question marks in their own zone in the past and recently. While Broberg may be considered slightly better and have better tools to be better defensively, if they were both tossed into the nhl today I doubt that there would be enough of a difference defending against nhl talent between the two. Confusing I know but I just don't think either would be "good enough" defensively that either would be getting consistent praise for their work. I also don't believe either will add that aspect to their game for many moons.

I think statistically speaking Bouchard has the edge offensively. Already good nhl IQ, passing, and shot versus speed and aggression I lean towards Bouchard as well.

All things being equal Bouchard has the higher floor and higher ceiling offensively while Broberg has been billed as a raw talent that requires patience and development. Assuming Broberg is in the AHL next year at least for a bit we finally have an apples to apples situation to compare the two.

Broberg should be a better 2 way defender with his tool box. As a quick example Nurse should be a great 2 way defender as well but imo has really pushed and pushed to be an offensive threat to the point it hurts his overall game. I hope Broberg doesn't go that route. Our whole team currently seems far too focused on scoring points imo. Got to go back to the 2016 season and Adam Larsson to pick out an Oiler defender that dominated defensively. It's an area we are sorely lacking and Broberg and Nurse with their skating and size could make Edmonton a tough team to play against. Maybe Samourukov can also help in that area.

Bouchard, Broberg, and Samourukov are all tracking well and all tracking to have nhl careers but all 3 are still just potential until they actually make and stick in the NHL. Defenders don't usually hit their stride until 26 to 28. Even Nurse is only 25 and "could" make a big jump offensively and defensively to jump in the upper echelon of defenseman.
Did you just post something not saying anything silly about Broberg? :laugh:

Reactions: ujju2 and snipes

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

This says a whole lot of nothing.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
For Bouchard to reach his potential or most of it he will need a different kind of partner than Broberg.
However its nice to imagine all of Bear and Jones and Bouch and Broberg and Sami all continuing to develop, unlikely but possible. Linear development for most will hit snags along the way--maybe the oilers should invest in a coach that focuses only on 8 to 10 of our D.

I like both Nurse and Broberg as future partners for Bouchard. I think the skate it out pass it out combo of such pairings could be very complimentary.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

tied for 2nd on his very good club team in Sweden First Division with 6 goals and 16 points in just 19 games as 20 year old ! anyone who doesn't think that Bouchard might be NHL ready now needs to give their head a shake !! o_O

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I like both Nurse and Broberg as future partners for Bouchard. I think the skate it out pass it out combo of such pairings could be very complimentary.
Think about when you team has just completed a rush and the forwards still deep...and the other teams transitions into a rush of their own and Bouchard and Broberg are you men backing up....Bouchard wants to get the puck and pass it back into transition again (headmanning the puck to a forward)....and Broberg --he needs that biscuit.

With what we have now

Jones/Lagesson Bouchard

Broberg Larsson

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just based on my eye test and biased memory, I remember Bouchard looking good in terms of defensive IQ with a good defensive stick in high pressure situations during the few games he had played with the Oilers

Yeah, I think he is a pretty smart player too. His issue will be like almost all offensive-minded D, keeping up the effort and engagement in his own zone while they're inclined to be looking for a quick way to go on offense. He'll probably never be perfect, and it's rare players like him are in their end. Watching Washington in the playoffs and focusing on Carlson, the guy is standing straight up watching bad things happen in his own zone all the time. It is what it is, and he makes up for it everywhere else on the ice.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Think about when you team has just completed a rush and the forwards still deep...and the other teams transitions into a rush of their own and Bouchard and Broberg are you men backing up....Bouchard wants to get the puck and pass it back into transition again (headmanning the puck to a forward)....and Broberg --he needs that biscuit.

With what we have now

Jones/Lagesson Bouchard

Broberg Larsson

All good points.

However. Look at the current Nurse Bear pairing. Bear isn't fast either but is a great puck mover. At the moment those two use each exactly as Bouchard Nurse would. Nurse uses his speed to get open for the pass/transition into the neutral zone and Bear threads the needle. Nurse can get also get to pucks and get back into the play because of his speed when he does carry the puck into the zone, just like Broberg likes to do.

Seems to work for Nurse Bear so I think Nurse Bouchard or Broberg Bouchard "could" have similar chemistry/complimentary skill sets.

Reactions: McDNicks17

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Dave Manson in Bakersfield has been doing an excellent job with our young D in Bakersfield. He’s had a major influence on Bear and Jones as well as Bouchard. Bouchard has a pretty damn good rookie year all things considered with Bakersfields forward and goaltending struggles.

Holland is starting to address the prospects forwards now though obviously given all the picks made were forwards in this draft. Lavoie is trending well from the 2019 draft.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
tied for 2nd on his very good club team in Sweden First Division with 6 goals and 16 points in just 19 games as 20 year old ! anyone who doesn't think that Bouchard might be NHL ready now needs to give their head a shake !! o_O
Not sure what Sweden First Division means...

First Division in Sweden does not exist anymore, and when it did last it was actually Sweden's 3rd tier league.

Bouchard is in HockeyAllsvenskan, which has never been called first division. HockeyAllsvenskan is Sweden 2nd highest league. SHL (former elitserien) is the top league.

1. SHL
2. HockeyAllsvenskan
3. HockeyEttan
4. Division 2
5. Division 3
and so on.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
For me, the top 4 pairings going forward are...

Nurse-Bouchard
Broberg-Bear

I liked the look of B&B at the summer TC, and Nurses seems like a natural fit with Bouch, as their skills seem to mesh well. Plus I think Nurse would benefit from being the defensive presence on an offensive pairing vs. the offensive driver on a tough minutes pairing. Let him play a KISS (keep it simple, stupid) style, where he's far more effective.

Even if you lose both Barrie and Larsson to UFA next year, and one of Jones and Klefbom to SEA, that would still leave you Klef/Jones, Lagesson, and Samorukov to round out the defence. That's a nice spot to be in.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
For me, the top 4 pairings going forward are...

Nurse-Bouchard
Broberg-Bear

I liked the look of B&B at the summer TC, and Nurses seems like a natural fit with Bouch, as their skills seem to mesh well. Plus I think Nurse would benefit from being the defensive presence on an offensive pairing vs. the offensive driver on a tough minutes pairing. Let him play a KISS (keep it simple, stupid) style, where he's far more effective.

Even if you lose both Barrie and Larsson to UFA next year, and one of Jones and Klefbom to SEA, that would still leave you Klef/Jones, Lagesson, and Samorukov to round out the defence. That's a nice spot to be in.
In 3 years sure but that should not be our top 4 in 2021-2022 (post Seattle draft)

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
In 3 years sure but that should not be our top 4 in 2021-2022 (post Seattle draft)

Oh for sure.

I think the defence at next year's TC will still be similar to the one we see this winter, only with Bouchard subbing in for Barrie. Personally I think they'll bring back Larsson on a 2 year deal, but at minimum I would expect a 1 year UFA vet (think of the equivalent of Hamonic or Stone from this year's UFA class) to bridge in Samorukov and Broberg.

My template for the next year and a half on the defence:

Nurse-Barrie(Bouchard)
Jones/Klefbom-Larsson
Lagesson-Bear

I admit I'm still high on Lagesson, and have him beating out Russell for the #6 job this year. I see him settling in as a Gunnarsson-like defenceman. Plus you'll also have Samorukov knocking at the door, and Broberg not far behind.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad