Europa League 2017/2018

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
OK. Good for Russia I guess. Though it doesn't change much over 5 years.

Anyway, Marseille at home in Lyon would be quite ironic given the rivalry. Aulas must be eating his hat right now.
That said, Salzburg is not an easy draw by any means. Both teams met earlier in the season (0-0, 1-0 Salzburg).
However, OM was a different team then than what they are now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I want to say I hope Marseille wins in the off chance that Arsenal beat Atletico (and they could) because even though I know Salzburg has been playing really well I don't think they can beat either of Arsenal/Atletico. Marseille actually seems to have a pretty strong and entertaining team on the other hand.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
A club gets 2 points per win and 1 point for each further round reached, which would put their ceiling at earning 7 more points this year if they win every match. Hertha, Köln, Hoffenheim, and Freiburg combined for 13 points. Dortmund had a well-documented horror and ended up with 10 points, only barely above Germany's average for this year so far even if you include those four clubs that laid a total egg. Leipzig and Bayern have had nice runs but it couldn't possibly be enough with how the other 5 floundered. With Schalke and Leverkusen back in the mix - as odd as this is to say - Germany should get a lot more out of Europe next year than they did from the total minnow clubs.

France would only need 12 more points to surpass Russia for this year alone, but they can't do that either.

I think points are only awarded for the two legged result and not individual matches.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Now that's a great draw! Atletico-Marseille final should be fun. Atletico could win quite easily against Arsenal who has no defence and Marseille on the other hand I think will be very close but they should go through. At least the fun is back in European Competitions so you never know.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not so sure Atletico is a dominant match-up stylistically for Arsenal. On paper and because of their league results one would expect Atletico to win, but Arsenal are flat track bullies that are kind of built to play against defensive teams. I'm not so sure this is as easy a tie for Atletico as people think, and I don't hold Arsenal in the highest regard. Simeone might be the biggest issue for Atletico in this round.

I do think that Marseille could end up winning the whole thing regardless which is pretty cool.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm not so sure Atletico is a dominant match-up stylistically for Arsenal. On paper and because of their league results one would expect Atletico to win, but Arsenal are flat track bullies that are kind of built to play against defensive teams. I'm not so sure this is as easy a tie for Atletico as people think, and I don't hold Arsenal in the highest regard. Simeone might be the biggest issue for Atletico in this round.

I do think that Marseille could end up winning the whole thing regardless which is pretty cool.

Depends which Arsenal shows up. They've played very well at times and could easily carve apart Atletico if they're on. But they could also play like they have for the other part of games and be an absolute tire fire all over the pitch.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I think points are only awarded for the two legged result and not individual matches.

I don't think so. From the UEFA website:

Points system
1. Each team gets two points for a win and one point for a draw (points are halved for matches in the qualifying and play-off rounds).
2. Clubs that reach the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Champions League, or the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Europa League, are awarded an extra point for each round.
3. In addition, four points are awarded for participation in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League and four points for qualifying for the round of 16.

Bayern are listed at 28 points and Real are at 26. If it were just a matter of winning the two-legged result they'd probably be at the same number.

Real's point breakdown:
Group stage participation- 4 points
4 group stage wins+1 draw - 9 points
Round of 16 participation - 4+1=5 points
2 wins over PSG - 4 points
Quarterfinal participation - 1 point
1 win, 1 loss against Juventus - 2 points
Semifinal participation - 1 point

=26 points so far, as is listed on the UEFA website. So yeah, calculated with all individual wins including group stage wins.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Depends which Arsenal shows up. They've played very well at times and could easily carve apart Atletico if they're on. But they could also play like they have for the other part of games and be an absolute tire fire all over the pitch.
Anything can happen, but I'd say there's probably a ~20% chance of advancing.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going to be tough for Arsenal seeing that they also have Man U the weekend in between the Madrid games

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I want to say I hope Marseille wins in the off chance that Arsenal beat Atletico (and they could) because even though I know Salzburg has been playing really well I don't think they can beat either of Arsenal/Atletico. Marseille actually seems to have a pretty strong and entertaining team on the other hand.

I think Salzburg can beat Arsenal or Marseille but not Atletico. Their odds vs Atletico would go up in a final vs a two match tie though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well, poooo, it was just a matter of time before getting Atletico. Only fortunate thing we have going is this isn't the AM squad of years ago, they're beatable.

That game yesterday by Cech had to be one of the WORST goaltending performances I've ever seen. Also I don't know if the CZKA ultras are trying to attract attention in gay clubs and bars, but their couple hundred shirtless guy routine is definitely giving them some good publicity. :laugh:
Ramsey is prone to some pretty huge mental mistakes and is too often standing around prone while the other team goes back the other way to either score or get a great chance. He's very frustrating to watch.
Agreed, people can Ramsey a BXB, but his defencive game is sub par at best as we saw like two years ago against Bayern. He's great going foward and has great creativity to go along with his skills, but he's lost defensively and is constantly injured. That's why I think he shouldn't be untouchable.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Atleti have a relatively easy schedule from here on in. I think if everything falls as it should they'll be focusing on the Europa League.

If Atleti can win it, and I think they are favorites, it will be their third in a decade and they will be tied for second on the all-time UEFA Cup/Europa League winners list. So hopefully Arsenal win it.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm mad that Leipzig lost because it deprived us all of the Massive Conflict of Interests Derby we all wanted!!!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Finally the real European competition is back tomorrow. I mean FFS, why couldn't we have just gone out in the group stage? f***ing Valverde. Anyway, still betting Atleti win it, but Super Aaron Ramsey can never be counted out.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
As if league games are relevant for them at this point

With the FA cup final going to United or Chelsea, the only difference between 6th and 7th is either playing in the Europa playoff right between the group stage or directly in the group stage.

That’s a much bigger deal for Burnley given that they’re far more likely a team to lose a game like that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Arsene will win the EL before leaving to make some Arsenal fans question whether Wenger still has it and shouldn't have been pushed out.

Reactions: KJS14

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Arsene will win the EL before leaving to make some Arsenal fans question whether Wenger still has it and shouldn't have been pushed out.

Whyyyyyy
But actually that would be just fine as long as he didn't Actually Stay

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Mesut masterclass incoming. But Welbeck will be on the end of all the chances and miss them most likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad