Eugene Melnyk Pledges to spend near salary cap: FYOUS Edition

Will Melnyk Keep his Promise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Personally i think that Melnyk's "commitment" to spend has to be related to a positive outcone on lebreton and going in to the new rink with momentum.

I don't think he can/will spend without a light at the end of the financial tunnel. So I'm hopeful that this means that the lebreton discussions are positive and that hopefully they include some kind of partner with an equity injection.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Personally i think that Melnyk's "commitment" to spend has to be related to a positive outcone on lebreton and going in to the new rink with momentum.

Personally, I don't think Melnyk has been planning around the team going downtown for a while now.

Way too many signs point to him having made up his mind a long time ago that the team (under his ownership, at least) is staying in Kanata for a while.

Among other signals - There are way too many major renovations being planned /recently completed for CTC right now to think that a cost-conscious owner like him is doing them only for the short term.

Reactions: BatherSeason

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I will eat my Karlsson jersey if Eugene Melnyk spends within 10% of the cap in any of those years. Maybe you haven't been around long enough, I'm not sure, but the man is a complete hype-mongering liar. His words literally mean nothing.
In this case, quite literally. The statement was that he "will plan to spend close to the NHL's salary cap every year from 2021-to-2025."

1. He's not committing to spending close to the salary cap – merely to plan on doing so.
2. Define "close" in relation to the salary cap. Within 10% of the upper limit? We're already there right now, even with this trash fire of a team. Within five percent? Within two per cent? It's meaningless if it's not quantifiable because, as we've seen this organization do time and time again, they'll just move the goalposts to suit their needs and treat the fans like idiots.
3. How is he going to do this, exactly? Does he intend on retaining our core players now? Overpaying past-their-prime players to ensure this meaningless "promise" is met?
4. Melnyk et al couldn't be counted on to predict six months ahead of time, as evidenced by their total lack of preparation for the swift downfall following the Turris trade and losing Methot to expansion. If we can't trust short-term projections, how on earth can we trust long-term projections?
5. If, for whatever reason, circumstances change, what's stopping him from saying "Well, I made that promise in good faith, but people aren't buying tickets and we've already had to slash the front office to bare bones yada yada yada..."

Nope. Snake oil salesman. Not buying it again. Fool me once, shame on you. But teach a man to fool me and I'll be fooled for the rest of my life.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If, in the next few years we somehow make the playoffs, 'unparalleled success' needs to be the playoff theme.

Does “unparalleled success” mean that the Senators will go on a Stanley Cup winning streak beating past records of accomplishment by any previous team in NHL history? I think not. It sounds and smells like something that came out of the hind end of a bull!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don't think he can/will spend without a light at the end of the financial tunnel. So I'm hopeful that this means that the lebreton discussions are positive and that hopefully they include some kind of partner with an equity injection.

I don’t think that at all, given the history of team statements on many issues. I think it is just a PR reaction to the negative comments and concerns raised by corporate backers of the team. Nothing more.

Reactions: Alex1234

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Anyone else attend the WWE Live event at CTC on Friday? One of the wrestlers told another that the only person the people in the crowd hated more than him was Eugene Melnyk. Biggest applause of the night.

If Melnyk knew he was insulted in his own building he'd be pisssssed.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think it is just a PR reaction to the negative comments and concerns raised by corporate backers of the team. Nothing more.

Yeah, we can't discount the possibility that these statements were made to pacify investor confidence.

It certainly could be more than that, and a legitimate declaration of intent, but it's possible that it was just lip service.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Anyone else attend the WWE Live event at CTC on Friday? One of the wrestlers told another that the only person the people in the crowd hated more than him was Eugene Melnyk. Biggest applause of the night.

If Melnyk knew he was insulted in his own building he'd be pisssssed.

Enh i really hate Melnyk but everyone knows that WWE spots will involve cheap pops like that to build the face/heel dynamic and/or play to the crowd.

Im sure all the Euge cares about was the building had an event with paying customers he didnt have to paper over for optics.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
I will eat my Karlsson jersey if Eugene Melnyk spends within 10% of the cap in any of those years. Maybe you haven't been around long enough, I'm not sure, but the man is a complete hype-mongering liar. His words literally mean nothing.

No you won't. Turns out fans make up stuff that's not true as well and spend large amounts of time believing it.

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
Whether he spends close to the cap or not doesn’t matter if the front office and behind the scenes staff are all still gutted. Players of course matter, but so do coaches and assistants, trainers, doctors, nutritionists, analysts, etc. The salary cap is merely what meets the eye..

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I was trying to go through all of the times Eugene has made similar claims and the exact quotes since he has owned the team...does anyone still have the link to that site that listed all of his ludicrous Senators claims in order going back 10+ years?

There were the "spend when the time is right" years, the claims of multiple Stanley cups, Ottawa spending to the cap for the foreseeable future, renewed commitment to scouting drafting etc...all coming a few years apart after the previous lie had proven fruitless, does anyone remember this website?

Reactions: Acidrain66

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
ScrooEuge signs himself to a $25M contract starting in 2021 to get near the cap.

While he can't skate and doesn't understand how the game is played, he is a healthy scratch for 5 seasons, despite outplaying Ceci in practice every day.

Ottawa goes 0-74-8, and ScrooEuge buries the fans for not supporting his Up and Coming roster of career minor leaguers, 4th liners and other scrubs on long term IR, because he feels this is still unprecedented success, albeit on the bottom side.

Reactions: billpo and Alex1234

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
ScrooEuge signs himself to a $25M contract starting in 2021 to get near the cap.

While he can't skate and doesn't understand how the game is played, he is a healthy scratch for 5 seasons, despite outplaying Ceci in practice every day.

Ottawa goes 0-74-8, and ScrooEuge buries the fans for not supporting his Up and Coming roster of career minor leaguers, 4th liners and other scrubs on long term IR, because he feels this is still unprecedented success, albeit on the bottom side.
Puts himself on IR so that insurance covers the majority of it.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Isn’t our owner supposed to be more popular than the commissioner?

If you could boo just one of them, who would you boo?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Bettman has been an excellent commissioner.

Melnyk has been a terrible owner.

Pretty simple decision IMO.

Yeah Bettman gets too much flak. All he does is expand the league and fight to keep teams in their homes. And he'll fight to keep the Sens in Ottawa again if Melnyk decides to be a dick.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
Pretty sure melnyk will be anointed as the next captain. Pierre will swoop in and take over the head coaching. Can you imagine eugene skating through center and getting blindsided by tom wilson? LOL

Reactions: Emerica

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No you won't. Turns out fans make up stuff that's not true as well and spend large amounts of time believing it.

hqdefault.jpg

:teach:

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
A
Am aware what figure of speech means but when you can't even recognize when a hockey team is rebuilding and spend large amounts of time discussing things that are not true , this is the type of reactions that i expect.
You're confusing rebuilding with financial and/or budget management. No Frills.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Its weird that he is going on about hitting the cap in x years. What about a promise to not spend to use the difference between our current budget and the cap to increase the size of our scouting and training teams. And pay some people to make sure that the dressing room is right.

Ultimately, I don't care if the Sens ever win the cup. I would prefer to cheer for a team that is good to cheer for.
One that is good to its employees. One that has some loyalty to its players. One that engenders loyalty from its players. Even if such a team loses, you can at least be proud of cheering them on.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Am aware what figure of speech means but when you can't even recognize when a hockey team is rebuilding and spend large amounts of time discussing things that are not true , this is the type of reactions that i expect.

Sounds like you've been eating too many hats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad