• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I guess you never heard of "maybe"? I would have voted for both because many are not sure. Hence the yes and no vote.

lol. You are an intelligent guy. I'm not engaged in a personal running battle with you.

It should be a binary question.

Putting maybe is pointless.

Maybe he does it ? So the "yesses" have it. Maybe he doesn't? The "noes" have it.

Melnyk made a commitment. Will he actually do it? Yes or No.

In the end, there will be a bunch of grey and nuance as to why or why not it actually comes to pass.

You could put a hundred different "Maybe , but .." poll options .. but... what's the point?

Thankfully we then have the discussion part under the poll where we can then kick around the meaningless poll results and our meaningless attempts to convince each other that our opinions are wrong.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It would be interesting to see someone do the math.

Here is Ottawa's first 4 seasons after a harsh expansion draft:

List of Ottawa Senators seasons - Wikipedia

SeasonTeamGPWLTOTLPtsGFGAPIMFinishPlayoffs
1992–931992–9384107042420239517166th, AdamsDid not qualify
1993–941993–9484146193720139717107th, NortheastDid not qualify
1994–95[a]1994–95489345231171747497th, NortheastDid not qualify
1995–961995–9682185954119129115536th, NortheastDid not qualify
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
What happens if we take those out? Even just the first two?

As for his pledge. It's likely more bull****. If Stone and Duchene are walking how do we even get to the cap ceiling? We'd overplay for UFAs or we'd have to have some insane drafts several years in a row.... seeing as we don't have our first round pick this year.

Boro 8 mill contract to be the face of the franchise and the new captain of the Ottawa Senators.

Reactions: Acidrain66

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
lol. You are an intelligent guy. I'm not engaged in a personal running battle with you.

Maybe he does it ? So the "yesses" have it. Maybe he doesn't? The "noes" have it.

In the end, there will be a bunch of grey and nuance as to why or why not it actually comes to pass.

You could put a hundred different "Maybe , but .." poll options .. but... what's the point?

Thankfully we then have the discussion part under the poll where we can then kick around the meaningless poll results and our meaningless attempts to convince each other that our opinions are wrong.
Excellent post.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I really think that "outlook hazy" and "ask again later" should have been poll options.

If we're going to include "maybe" as an answer, you might as well go full-Magic-8-Ball with it.

Reactions: Blotto71

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

A lot of polls have an "undecided" option. Like, when voting polls are done. Maybe is a bad option, I meant "undecided"

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
My bad. But you get my point
Your point being that I am the devil and should be attacked even when not responsible...sure.

Or your point being that you don’t like the overwhelmingly negative view of Melnyk the poll suggests, so instead of dealing with the reality it reveals you choose to try and deflect to methodology?

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A lot of polls have an "undecided" option. Like, when voting polls are done.

But a voting poll is asking you what YOU are going to do, in which case "undecided" is an entirely valid answer - it's asking about which action you will take. It's polling individuals to determine what each individual will do, and forming a data set comprised of many individual choices. "Undecided" is a valuable category to know in that case because it defines your variables and allows for predictive models to help fill in the blanks based on precedence and trends.

This is a poll about what you think someone else will do. You can't be undecided about something you have no control over.

Fence-sitting isn't really a valid option for these kinds of polls, because it doesn't give any real information. It's essentially a wasted poll.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
But a voting poll is asking you what YOU are going to do, in which case "undecided" is an entirely valid answer - it's asking about which action you will take. It's polling individuals to determine what each individual will do, and forming a data set comprised of many individual choices. "Undecided" is a valuable category to know in that case because it defines your variables and allows for predictive models to help fill in the blanks based on precedence and trends.

This is a poll about what you think someone else will do. You can't be undecided about something you have no control over.

Fence-sitting isn't really a valid option for these kinds of polls, because it doesn't give any real information. It's essentially a wasted poll.

A poll like this doesn’t give any real information either. If everyone votes one way or the other it is still pointless, it has no impact on what he does nor does it point to an outcome. I am not sure how being undecided has any more or less value then picking one option.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
A poll like this doesn’t give any real information either. If everyone votes one way or the other it is still pointless, it has no impact on what he does nor does it point to an outcome. I am not sure how being undecided has any more or less value then picking one option.
I realize you don't like the results, but he actually explained it pretty clearly, you should just read his explanation again.

You're right though, the poll is as pointless as the press release nobody believes.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I realize you don't like the results, but he actually explained it pretty clearly, you should just read his explanation again.

You're right though, the poll is as pointless as the press release nobody believes.

I didn’t even look at the results, he stated the ‘undecided’ is meaningless in a poll like this, and I pointed out that is incorrect. The entire thing is meaningless.
Can I ask why on earth I wouldn’t like the results?

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
I didn’t even look at the results, he stated the ‘undecided’ is meaningless in a poll like this, and I pointed out that is incorrect. The entire thing is meaningless.
Are all polls meaningless? Perhaps your definition of meaningless is different to others.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It speaks to the level of faith the fanbase has in Eugene Melnyk.

The vast majority have little to no trust that he will follow through on this promise do to his long standing record as a liar.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Are all polls meaningless?

Depends on the poll. If it asks what the person polled is going to do. or what people think about the city spending money on a new park and they are seeking public approval.
But a poll on weather or not some other person is ‘going to do it’ that is pointless, our opinions do not effect the outcome nor do they discredit or validate anything.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Im surprised you posted that after his clear explanation on why it doesn't apply to a poll such as this. Your post history was why i would assume you wouldn't like a poll demonstrating that Melnyk's word means nothing to fans or the sports media world.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It speaks to the level of faith the fanbase has in Eugene Melnyk.

The vast majority have little to no trust that he will follow through on this promise do to his long standing record as a liar.

And that changes what?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Im surprised you posted that after his clear explanation on why it doesn't apply to a poll such as this. Your post history was why i would assume you wouldn't like a poll demonstrating that Melnyk's word means nothing to fans or the sports media world.

What posting history? Trying to explain to people money doesn’t fall from the sky? Ohhh how dare I. I don’t care about EM nor am I concerned what people think of him. Neither matter

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Polls here are meant to stimulate conversation not change the world around us. "Maybe, idk" doesn't really make for stimulating discussion.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Speaks to the need to change owenership.

Let’s those posters who hold out hope of Eugene being able to mend fences see just how futile their fight is.

Do you think daddy will give us more? “See, see even Timmy thinks he won’t. I want a new daddy”

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Just assuming ScrooEuge lets $15M walk from the payroll in UFAs, just what can we expect him to add to make up the equivalent and more for 2021?

In 2017, the top free agents who moved teams were Radulov for $6.35M per, Shattenkirk $6.6M per and Marleau at $6.2M per.

2018, Tavares went home for $11M per, Van Riemsdyk got $7M per, Stastny $6.5M, Neal $5.8M, and Kovalchuk $6.2M.

This year available are Karlsson, Panarin, Spezza and Skinner among others.

So if ScrooEuge is going to add $20M, he will be hard-pressed to even add back the solid performing talent of Stone/Duchene, and given his history of meddling foolishness in Kovalev and Gonchar, he will likely wind up with washouts talents like Kovalchuk and Marleau being center pieces.

So yeah, he better keep what he has, let Ceci walk or be traded, sign a veteran D for less, and add to the mix in 2021, mostly on D, as Batherson, Formenton and Brown look like the additions to make 3 very solid forward lines by then, if we keep the rest.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Polls here are meant to stimulate conversation not change the world around us. "Maybe, idk" doesn't really make for stimulating discussion.

Why not? Being on the fence is a real world situation and can be part of any discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad