Will Melnyk Keep his Promise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
lol...per T Yost @T$N

Say hello to your 2021-2022 Ottawa senators.

yost.JPG

This is basically the same thing I said in an earlier post when suggesting we trade with Detroit for Zetterberg, Franzen and Kronwall to hit the floor and then save the actual salary budget for when the team is ready to ramp up.

But wouldn't it be hilarious if this was EM plan to fulfill his promise of spending to the cap, but with actual salaries below the floor.

Reactions: Bean Drown

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lol... HFSens consensus opinions these days carry about as much weight at Eklund.
Nah, we're the laughing stock franchise of the NHL in pretty much all corners the Senators get brought up at this point. Fans of other teams, analysts, talk shows, sports news, print and social media, radio, podcasts, etc. At this point nobody talks about the team itself, it's only about the money issues, who's leaving/being sold off, why they don't want to play here, new arena drama, owner hate, and the crumbling state of the franchise.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's the minority at this point.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Nah, we're the laughing stock franchise of the NHL in pretty much all corners the Senators get brought up at this point. Fans of other teams, analysts, talk shows, sports news, print and social media, radio, podcasts, etc. At this point nobody talks about the team itself, it's only about the money issues, who's leaving/being sold off, why they don't want to play here, new arena drama, owner hate, and the crumbling state of the franchise.

The very vocal minority.

Reactions: Engineer and Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The very vocal minority.
Completely out to lunch. This is not at all an HFSens only issue and quite frankly, I can't believe that's being claimed, it's an absurd suggestion. They may not hammer Eugene in every single sentence on air, but it's gotten to the point now that the only context the Ottawa Senators are discussed is on the business and drama side. Nobody gives a shit about the hockey team itself.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I guess man, you guys in here are the worst in terms of laughing at the team and mocking each other as fana than anyone I have spoken to about hockey anywhere over the last few years. Fans of other teams just don’t care enough about other teams to look at you as the laughing stock. For some reason some of you have internalized the team and it’s fortunes and are paying the price.

Hey maybe Ottawa is filled with embarrassed fans with an inferiority complex, all worried that everyone else is posting and laughing at you, but I doubt it. HFSens is not a reflection of Ottawa. In my neck of the woods no one cares about Ottawa’s franchise minutia. We’re just another team going through a bottoming out.

Reactions: coladin

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
In my neck of the woods no one cares about Ottawa’s franchise minutia. We’re just another team going through a bottoming out.

So out to lunch, as if everything that's happening with Melnyk and terrible ownership is just 'a franchise bottoming out'. Melnyk's drama with his business partner was picked up by national media outlets.

It's crazy that people on the far west coast don't care about an east coast team though, right? Try living in the actual market surrounded by several rival teams and their fans and then see if you can make the same statement. You just straight up are out of touch and do not know what you're talking about.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I guess man, you guys in here are the worst in terms of laughing at the team and mocking each other as fana than anyone I have spoken to about hockey anywhere over the last few years. Fans of other teams just don’t care enough about other teams to look at you as the laughing stock. For some reason some of you have internalized the team and it’s fortunes and are paying the price.

Hey maybe Ottawa is filled with embarrassed fans with an inferiority complex, all worried that everyone else is posting and laughing at you, but I doubt it. HFSens is not a reflection of Ottawa. In my neck of the woods no one cares about Ottawa’s franchise minutia. We’re just another team going through a bottoming out.
I'm surprised. I feel like I can't hear the team being discussed without it being about the drama or financial aspects, no matter where it's being discussed, even way out west here in the Yukon. It is what it is, but it's the only interesting thing going on with the Ottawa Senators right now. That may change next year with the tank reward in tow this time, because it really does kill any enthusiasm about a tanking teams rebuild and a reason to follow during the bad years. You seem to be okay with just watching hockey and feeling like there's development happening, but I really don't think that's enough for most fans, especially when your ufa core's future is a dark cloud hanging over the whole season. Trade the UFA's, get through this year as a write off, and maybe, MAYBE there's some positivity around this team next year.

Anecdotally, the only conversations I've had brought up to me about them is things like... How could they trade Karlsson? Are they really going to trade Stone and Duchene too? Does nobody want to play there? Will they just not pay anyone? Is the new arena going to get done or fall apart sending the team in to a possible relocation? I'm not just trying to hate on them here, I genuinely find that the drama and financial aspects are all that's being discussed about this team whether it's at the water cooler, in the locker room at hockey, on tv/radio/social media. No offense Ice-Tray, but being positive about the rebuild and just following for the kids actually does appear to be the minority opinion around this team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So out to lunch, as if everything that's happening with Melnyk and terrible ownership is just 'a franchise bottoming out'. Melnyk's drama with his business partner was picked up by national media outlets.

It's crazy that people on the far west coast don't care about an east coast team though, right? Try living in the actual market surrounded by several rival teams and their fans and then see if you can make the same statement. You just straight up are out of touch and do not know what you're talking about.

So it’s the old inferiority complex some fans have when dealing with overbearing leaf and hab fans...

Dude, this has been a tired tale since ‘92. Here’s the hard truth, it’s not them, it’s you. You are the reason that you’re miserable, and that the people around you are miserable.

Reactions: coladin

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm surprised. I feel like I can't hear the team being discussed without it being about the drama or financial aspects, no matter where it's being discussed, even way out west here in the Yukon. It is what it is, but it's the only interesting thing going on with the Ottawa Senators right now. That may change next year with the tank reward in tow this time, because it really does kill any enthusiasm about a tanking teams rebuild and a reason to follow during the bad years. You seem to be okay with just watching hockey and feeling like there's development happening, but I really don't think that's enough for most fans, especially when your ufa core's future is a dark cloud hanging over the whole season. Trade the UFA's, get through this year as a write off, and maybe, MAYBE there's some positivity around this team next year.

Anecdotally, the only conversations I've had brought up to me about them is things like... How could they trade Karlsson? Are they really going to trade Stone and Duchene too? Does nobody want to play there? Will they just not pay anyone? Is the new arena going to get done or fall apart sending the team in to a possible relocation? I'm not just trying to hate on them here, I genuinely find that the drama and financial aspects are all that's being discussed about this team whether it's at the water cooler, in the locker room at hockey, on tv/radio/social media. No offense Ice-Tray, but being positive about the rebuild and just following for the kids actually does appear to be the minority opinion around this team.

Sure, but I’d wager that it’s you that introduces most of the drama to the conversations when you’re asked. I’m in the same boat as you by the way :)

Of course people around you are going to shake their heads when you take the crap that passes in here for fact and pass that on to other people as reality.

If you behaved differently, the Yukon fans around you would too.

An example would be EK. It pretty easy to explain why EK was traded, especially when we stick to what we actually know; ‘we offered him a massive contract and him and his agents chose not to negotiate, choosing instead to either be traded or go to UFA’. See, not much drama there, in fact it makes a lot of sense in light of what we just saw with JT. Any added speculation and storytelling you add based on what you ‘think’ is going to colour all of the surrounding opinions concerning the Sens when your the local ‘expert’.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Wow. I took the train to the Leafs and Sens game the other night with my jersey on. I don’t worry too much about other people’s opinions. I try to be proud.

I talked to lots of fans of the blue and white that night most were nice but all mentioned that they know Melnyk is a bad owner and how we are in the cellar now. At no time did anyone question why I am still a Sens fan. Why? Because they were shit team for years under crap management, too. They stuck through it. (They spent to the hilt and still sucked.)

They are all happy now.... (until they get out in the first round)

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Wow. I took the train to the Leafs and Sens game the other night with my jersey on. I don’t worry too much about other people’s opinions. I try to be proud.

I talked to lots of fans of the blue and white that night most were nice but all mentioned that they know Melnyk is a bad owner and how we are in the cellar now. At no time did anyone question why I am still a Sens fan. Why? Because they were **** team for years to under crap management. They stuck through it. (They spent to the hilt and still sucked.)

Exactly, like we’re the first team to hit some adversity. The truth is that we have made the playoffs more than almost every other team since forever, we’re definitly due a real rebuild.

Even our owner has pledged to his sponsors that he will spend, He’s a Buffon for sure, but he loves his hockey team, even if he has to struggle to afford it. He’s nowhere close to the worst team owner this league has seen.

Be unhappy, but man, get a grip.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sure, but I’d wager that it’s you that introduces most of the drama to the conversations when you’re asked. I’m in the same boat as you by the way :)

Of course people around you are going to shake their heads when you take the crap that passes in here for fact and pass that on to other people as reality.

If you behaved differently, the Yukon fans around you would too.

An example would be EK. It pretty easy to explain why EK was traded, especially when we stick to what we actually know; ‘we offered him a massive contract and him and his agents chose not to negotiate, choosing instead to either be traded or go to UFA’. See, not much drama there, in fact it makes a lot of sense in light of what we just saw with JT. Any added speculation and storytelling you add based on what you ‘think’ is going to colour all of the surrounding opinions concerning the Sens when your the local ‘expert’.
I would certainly give my opinion about it if asked, but no I don't think it's as you describe. In a small 25k city, being a Sens fan is an outlier, so it's quite often a conversation starter people use because I'm always in some sort of Sens gear. That's not all I'm talking about though, I added the anecdotal part just at the end, I'm talking from the ground level all the way up to professional media.

All the other avenues are completely out of my control. TV, Radio, Sports Podcasts & talk shows, Sportsnet, Social Media, etc. it's all about the drama, financial aspects, new arena, and UFA's, I don't control any of that.

I don't care that this is the consensus view of the organization, it's just sports and entertainment.

Reactions: Acidrain66

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Exactly, like we’re the first team to hit some adversity. The truth is that we have made the playoffs more than almost every other team since forever, we’re definitly due a real rebuild.

Even our owner has pledged to his sponsors that he will spend, He’s a Buffon for sure, but he loves his hockey team, even if he has to struggle to afford it. He’s nowhere close to the worst team owner this league has seen.

Be unhappy, but man, get a grip.
He's said that before and it never happened. There's a reason people don't just take that statement and run. Actions always speak louder than words.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I talked to lots of fans of the blue and white that night most were nice but all mentioned that they know Melnyk is a bad owner and how we are in the cellar now. At no time did anyone question why I am still a Sens fan. Why? Because they were **** team for years to under crap management. They stuck through it. (They spent to the hilt and still sucked.)

Oh for sure. I don't care that's the opinion of the team, the whole debate and my argument is just that it IS the consensus opinion.

Let's be honest, if I cared what people think, I wouldn't have chosen to be a Sens fan in the first place. They've always been the ugly duckling hockey team of Canada as far as treatment outside of Ottawa.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Oh for sure. I don't care that's the opinion of the team, the whole debate and my argument is just that it IS the consensus opinion.

Let's be honest, if I cared what people think, I wouldn't have chosen to be a Sens fan in the first place. They've always been the ugly duckling hockey team of Canada as far as treatment outside of Ottawa.

I always like to cheer for the underdog. Face it, we all loved it most when we were the Pesky Sens. It is our MO.

This team is always the laughing stock where I live, even when we were in the ECF. Been here for 17 years. Never faltered.

Stay Strong.

Reactions: Gesus and coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I always like to cheer for the underdog. Face it, we all loved it most when we were the Pesky Sens. It is our MO.

This team is always the laughing stock where I live, even when we were in the ECF. Been here for 17 years. Never faltered.

Stay Strong.
The team’s actions over the last 18 months have made it a laughingstock.

It is a well earned title.

Even the architect of the downfall admiited “we are in the dumpster”.

Not sure why posters pointing out legitimate issues with this organization are constantly insulted and told to be quiet.

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
The teams actions over the last 18 months have made it a laughingstock.

It is a well earned title.

Even the architect of the downfall admiited “we are in the dumpster”.

Not sure why posters pointing out legitimate issues with this organization are constantly insulted and told to be quiet.

negativity always bad xD

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
So it’s the old inferiority complex some fans have when dealing with overbearing leaf and hab fans...

Dude, this has been a tired tale since ‘92. Here’s the hard truth, it’s not them, it’s you. You are the reason that you’re miserable, and that the people around you are miserable.
You're right! Truly, I have seen the light! Fans being upset with the state of the Sens has nothing to do with the mismanagement of this team over the last decade with that frustration building up year after year! It's all because we're a bunch of entitled whiners who should just shut-up and gleefully eat the garbage dear Uncle Euge serves us! Real fans are the kind of people who defend the Melnyks, Ballards, and Wirtzs of the sports world no matter what! Especially when the two most storied franchises in the game are in close proximity and dominate the media discussion, with the Sens often relegated to an afterthought even when they were good.

Reactions: Deku

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Honestly interested to see if tones change if the deadline goes as many of us expect it will. Would be pretty tough to defend this franchise post Stone/Duchene/Dzingle trades.

I don’t think many people are defending management so much as pushing back against the smothering negativity in here. I love my team and am well tired of jaded fans kicking the team when it’s down relentlessly.

There is a difference.

I want the signed, but if they don’t want to stay then we’ll have to get the best offers we can, what other choice do we have? Hopefully the returns will be better than what EK was able to garner, and some firsts from this year would be nice.

I’m in the camp that if these guys want out, trade ‘em all and start from the bottom like Drake... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad