Will Melnyk Keep his Promise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Do you think daddy will give us more? “See, see even Timmy thinks he won’t. I want a new daddy”
Always about the money with the Melnyk defenders while ignoring all the other negative aspects his ownership brings. This is exactly why his "announcement" was met with crickets and disbelief, it just misses the point.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Always about the money with the Melnyk defenders while ignoring all the other negative aspects his ownership brings. This is exactly why his "announcement" was met with crickets and disbelief, it just misses the point.

This poll is all about the money, nothing else

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why not? Being on the fence is a real world situation and can be part of any discussion
Sure, siting on the fence is a real world situation, just not one that historically stimulates conversation. That why you don't see tv shows or radio program hosts humming and hawing will they sit on the fence.

Anyways, this thread isn't about how to best design polls or how humans are best encouraged to to discuss opinions, so time to move on. If you have an opinion about melnyk and his pledge, great lets hear it, otherwise this might not be the thread for you.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This poll is all about the money, nothing else
Which was created only because of Melnyk's comments himself, but you're in here being condescening about spending being discussed or dispputing options for the poll.

Even the problem himself seems to realize spending is a problem enough to put this out there, but really it just demonstrates again just how out of touch they are.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Sure, siting on the fence is a real world situation, just not one that historically stimulates conversation. That why you don't see tv shows or radio program hosts humming and hawing will they sit on the fence.

Anyways, this thread isn't about how to best design polls or how humans are best encouraged to to discuss opinions, so time to move on. If you have an opinion about melnyk and his pledge, great lets hear it, otherwise this might not be the thread for you.

A forced controlled opinion that has to be yes or no? That don’t seem right, anyway on T.V they do it so they can act like it is unbiased ‘news’ while in reality it’s meaningless fluff with a fake fight.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Which was created only because of Melnyk's comments himself, but you're in here being condescening about spending being discussed or dispputing options for the poll.

Even the problem himself seems to realize spending is a problem enough to put this out there, but really it just demonstrates again just how out of touch they are.

No your in here saying.....it’s all about money with you, shame shame. Two posts later....ya it’s all about money stupid...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A forced controlled opinion that has to be yes or no? That don’t seem right, anyway on T.V they do it so they can act like it is unbiased ‘news’ while in reality it’s meaningless fluff with a fake fight.
So i guess you didn't notice the helpful hint that this isnt a thread about poll design?

You don't need to vote if you don't have a strong opinion on the matter and you don't need to post in this thread if you can't stay on topic. This applies to everyone, btw

Back on topic, i'm sure there is a great forum to discuss poll design out there somewhere, but this isn't it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think its pretty simple ... After sitting on the fence . is your ass sore Yes or No... No maybe its sore .. its Sore or it isn't sore. Do you think you should get off the fence if your ass is sore Yes or No ... No maybe
Do you think he'll keep his promise Yes or No. Of course its a fn maybe .. but will he Yes or No.. pretty simple to me

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Anyway, he gave this speech at an event that was full of his sponsors? Given that he has received punishment for misleading investors in the past he should have learned from this and should be doing what he said he will do. So I am leaning towards the fact that he will. Although he could just be a liar that has learned nothing from his past. I don’t know him so I am leaning towards the team being sold before then.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Good post,

It will be misunderstood and disputed.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyway, he gave this speech at an event that was full of his sponsors? Given that he has received punishment for misleading investors in the past he should have learned from this and should be doing what he said he will do. So I am leaning towards the fact that he will. Although he could just be a liar that has learned nothing from his past. I don’t know him so I am leaning towards the team being sold before then.
So glad we got that covered .. now I can just sit back and relax again

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Remember how the narrative people were trying to paint was that this isn't a rebuild and Melnyk won't be able to spend. Not only that but he won't be willing to?

He comes out publicly saying he will now all you've got is we'll see what happens in 2021-2022. Enjoy the rebuild.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Remember how the narrative people were trying to paint was that this isn't a rebuild and Melnyk won't be able to spend. Not only that but he won't be willing to?

He comes out publicly saying he will now all you've got is we'll see what happens in 2021-2022. Enjoy the rebuild.
Do you remember during the last “rebuild” when Eugene stated he would “Spend when it was time to compete”?

I do.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
One part of melnyks message that is often overlooked is the fact he said he would only spend close to the cap for those 5 seasons....what’s implied there after those 5 seasons are up? Back to the floor?

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Even though I'm a Leafs fan, you guys have my sympathies.

I grew up a fan of the Mississauga Icedogs, and still to this day I'm pissed that Melnyk bought them just to sell and move 'em so he could get an arena and the Memorial Cup Tournament (which was never going to happen at St. Mike's) - The fact that the OHL even allowed it still irritates me. So, I see what he's now doing to the Sens, and I'm not surprised, but still disappointed.

Fans deserve better than owners like Melnyk. If Melnyk truly cared about the team and fan base, he'd sell to owners with real money like Devcore Canderel DLS/André Desmarais and Guy Laliberté. At the end of the day he would still get a decent amount for the Sens, and could run off to Barbados and Toronto as a "winner" in his own eyes. Too bad the League doesn't give him the boot...

Last edited:

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
One part of melnyks message that is often overlooked is the fact he said he would only spend close to the cap for those 5 seasons....what’s implied there after those 5 seasons are up? Back to the floor?

They have a plan set out but knowing exactly what will happen beyond 5 years from now isn't predictable enough to be said publicly. If we build like we did the first time around(like 1996-1997 timeframe) and end up making the playoffs 10 years in a row, then after 5 years we'd obviously keep spending but if we're horrible around that time and have up and down seasons repeatedly, or the team falls apart, yeah I'd consider hitting the reset button again.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Your point being that I am the devil and should be attacked even when not responsible...sure.

Or your point being that you don’t like the overwhelmingly negative view of Melnyk the poll suggests, so instead of dealing with the reality it reveals you choose to try and deflect to methodology?
Nope.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
But a voting poll is asking you what YOU are going to do, in which case "undecided" is an entirely valid answer - it's asking about which action you will take. It's polling individuals to determine what each individual will do, and forming a data set comprised of many individual choices. "Undecided" is a valuable category to know in that case because it defines your variables and allows for predictive models to help fill in the blanks based on precedence and trends.

This is a poll about what you think someone else will do. You can't be undecided about something you have no control over.

Fence-sitting isn't really a valid option for these kinds of polls, because it doesn't give any real information. It's essentially a wasted poll.

Yes. It is a wasted poll. I agree

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
So i guess you didn't notice the helpful hint that this isnt a thread about poll design?

You don't need to vote if you don't have a strong opinion on the matter and you don't need to post in this thread if you can't stay on topic. This applies to everyone, btw

Back on topic, i'm sure there is a great forum to discuss poll design out there somewhere, but this isn't it.

Sorry I wasn't trying to wander of topic I just saw people debating weather or not undecided should be a part of it, and being in the undecided camp myself...I just couldn't find a logical reason for those people to be excluded from discussions in a forum.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

They have a plan set out but knowing exactly what will happen beyond 5 years from now isn't predictable enough to be said publicly. If we build like we did the first time around(like 1996-1997 timeframe) and end up making the playoffs 10 years in a row, then after 5 years we'd obviously keep spending but if we're horrible around that time and have up and down seasons repeatedly, or the team falls apart, yeah I'd consider hitting the reset button again.

I will eat my Karlsson jersey if Eugene Melnyk spends within 10% of the cap in any of those years. Maybe you haven't been around long enough, I'm not sure, but the man is a complete hype-mongering liar. His words literally mean nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad