Management Eugene Melnyk -Lawsuits, rants, and more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
A little worried that this guy is the marketing guy too

"I am thrilled to be appointed to the position of president of business operations with the Senators. Having been a diehard Senators fan since the Sens rejoined the league, this opportunity is truly an honour,” LeBlanc said in a release.

I look forward to working closely with the entire staff as we prepare for an exciting chapter in the history of the Senators. I am confident that my experience in the NHL, as well as my sales and marketing background in the technology sector, will be put to good use here in the National Capital Region.”

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A little worried that this guy is the marketing guy too

He was a part of RIM (Blackberry) when they fell flat on their face.

I don't think he's good at anything other than giving nothing answers to poignant questions.

Reactions: Sensung

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Nothing would have made Arizona or RIM into competent companies in their respective industries. I couldn’t care less about who the business people of the team are (75% of fans won’t even know this happened) but certainly willing to give the guy a chance, especially given he’s actually a Sens fan.

he also has ties to Bettman and Daly. They may have their hands in this hire

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Anyone been able to find any positive feedback from LeBlanc's previous positions?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
They also got Kane in 2017 and Towes turned 19. Seabrook, Buf , Barker, Bolland, Bickell, Crawford etc were all entering their 21-23 windows.

Management is important but a lot of execs could have led that 2017 roster to success.

2007, not 2017.

I guess you missed this paragraph.

Rocky also showed a willingness to spend money, signing Marian Hossa in 2009 for $63 million, an amount which might have horrified his father. Hossa has had six strong years in Chicago and, at 36, ranked third behind Toews and Kane on the team’s points list this season.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Anyone been able to find any positive feedback from LeBlanc's previous positions?
The local media seems to be spnning it as a positive hire on Twitter. Mendes, Lloyd, Murray Pam, etc. all think this is a good hire, but I guess that's in their job description when it comes to the Sens. Either way, anyone other than Melnyk acting as CEO, COO, CFO, President is a good hire considering the alternative. We have all seen this song and dance before though. As long as Leblanc doesn't blame the owner, he will keep his job.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
They also got Kane in 2017 and Towes turned 19. Seabrook, Buf , Barker, Bolland, Bickell, Crawford etc were all entering their 21-23 windows.

Management is important but a lot of execs could have led that 2017 roster to success.
Some other parallels in the comments section seemed eerily familiar.

The problems began in the mid-1990s when Wirtz continued a disturbing trend of letting key Hawks stars walk like Belfour, Hasek, Chelios, and Roenicke. Mikita was the very rare Hawk that played his entire career in Chicago. As Mark Lebow noted, they let Pat Foley go after 25 years--unconscionable. They got rid of Wayne Messmer, the original voice who bellowed the Anthem when the clapping tradition started back in '85.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
2007, not 2017.

I guess you missed this paragraph.

Rocky also showed a willingness to spend money, signing Marian Hossa in 2009 for $63 million, an amount which might have horrified his father. Hossa has had six strong years in Chicago and, at 36, ranked third behind Toews and Kane on the team’s points list this season.

Ya - he added a nice player to the 10 he inherited.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Ya - he spent a large some of money on a UFA and added a great player to the 10 he already had.

Fixed your post.

Melnyk's plan is to ship out all star players who reach UFA status and be a farm team for the NHL.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The local media seems to be spnning it as a positive hire on Twitter. Mendes, Lloyd, Murray Pam, etc. all think this is a good hire, but I guess that's in their job description when it comes to the Sens. Either way, anyone other than Melnyk acting as CEO, COO, CFO, President is a good hire considering the alternative. We have all seen this song and dance before though. As long as Leblanc doesn't blame the owner, he will keep his job.
The local media is in full spin mode. No one even reached out to media colleagues who dealt with LeBlanc when he was running the Yotes to get insight to my knowledge.

It would be great if any of them realized their job is reporting, not cheerleading.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Great plan. Paying EK, MS, and MD $30 million per year for 8 years would have been stupid.
The team could have easily been built around EK and MS, just not for an owner doing everything he can to spend less than the cap floor.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chicago's turn around was more nuanced than just adding star players or just fixing management. Both needed to happen to reach the level of success, both on ice and off, that they did. Dismissing one or the other doesn't accomplish anything aside from reducing you own credibility.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The team could have easily been built around EK and MS, just not for an owner doing everything he can to spend less than the cap floor.

Fair enough. I wouldn’t. EK, Chabot, Stone, and Brady would take nearly $35 million or half our budget and $40 with White and $46 with Ryan leaving about $1.5 each for the rest of the 16 players or basically $1 after Z etc.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

How is that your takeaway from that article? Did you actually read it?

Sensung already pointed out several key parts but I’d also draw your attention to the part of the article where they explain that hiring Quenneville a proven excellent, experienced head coach, was a key to the turnaround.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Chicago's turn around was more nuanced than just adding star players or just fixing management. Both needed to happen to reach the level of success, both on ice and off, that they did. Dismissing one or the other doesn't accomplish anything aside from reducing you own credibility.

I think that’s understood. Opening a bag of chips is more nuanced than simply opening the bag of chips. Reminding people of that reality and attaching an unnecessary passive insult isn’t required.

Reactions: Bileur
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad