Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Imagine giving someone your liver away to someone to see them extend their life by being miserable and going around suing small businesses owners.
Well when you're a quasi celebrity and have a fan base to appeal to for such things, you get to live by a different standard than the rest of us.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The wealthiest owner in the league is spending about $10 million more per year than our owner ... and WPG is in a competitive window.

The next owner isn’t going to come into this market and outspend the revenue base.

The best way for us to get an owner willing to spend more ... is for us fans to spend more and increase the revenue base.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The wealthiest owner in the league is spending about $10 million more per year than our owner ... and WPG is in a competitive window.

The next owner isn’t going to come into this market and outspend the revenue base.

The best way for us to get an owner willing to spend more ... is for us fans to spend more and increase the revenue base.
But how can you expect the fans to spend when the organization has shown an unwillingness to do the same? It's incumbent on the org to show the fanbase that this is a product worth investing in, and actions speak louder.

Field of Dreams had it bang on: if you build it, they will come.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
But how can you expect the fans to spend when the organization has shown an unwillingness to do the same? It's incumbent on the org to show the fanbase that this is a product worth investing in, and actions speak louder.

Field of Dreams had it bang on: if you build it, they will come.

This team has was close to the cap and fans didn’t even attend playoff games. We had stars like EK and MS... They spent, we didn’t go.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

The best way for us to get an owner willing to spend more ... is for us fans to spend more.

So this is a bit of a circular argument. The example i can think of that best represents what you are saying is the toronto blue jays. For a long long time Rogers was saying we will spend more on the team if fans show up and spend money and fans just didnt believe it (sounds very familiar).

Rogers then suddenly decided to spend money aggressively in 2015 and add to the team in their competitive window. What ended up happening was a three year attendance spike. The three years was the same time frame as the financial push from Rogers.

Toronto Blue Jays Attendance Records (1977 - 2020) by Baseball Almanac

The two way street argument does hold some water but if you have burned bridges like Melnyk has then he needs to make the first step imo (like Rogers)

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I don’t expect us to ever have an owner who spends like the big markets. I do expect a competent owner who creates an organizational culture people want to be a part of, and also realizes if we can’t spend a lot then we have to focus on spending smartly. We don’t have any of this under Melnyk.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
This team has was close to the cap and fans didn’t even attend playoff games. We had stars like EK and MS... They spent, we didn’t go.
If you go back further into history, the Senators had attendance close to the top of the league. I clearly remember researching that, finding the attendance stats, and being involved in subsequent discussions about this subject (no, I'm not going to research this and post it just in case someone wants to go there).

But that was some years ago (before EK & Stone) and the team had been good for some time.

I guess EM has managed to influence some people's thinking on this subject, or its another bending to authority - idk.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Melnyk was on with Bob McCown, apparently the podcast will be up soon. Hold on to your horses people, a whole bunch of crazy is about to happen!

westernreinscloseup-56a4dcac5f9b58b7d0d991f1.jpg

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Rogers then suddenly decided to spend money aggressively in 2015 and add to the team in their competitive window. What ended up happening was a three year attendance spike. The three years was the same time frame as the financial push from Rogers.
Rogers spent the money out of a necessity. Rogers owns Sportsnet and Blue Jays baseball is key content for them. A losing team means less TV viewers and a lot less Ad revenue. And a winning team does the opposite.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If you go back further into history, the Senators had attendance close to the top of the league. I clearly remember researching that, finding it, and being involved in subsequent discussions about this subject (no, I'm not going to research this and post it just in case someone wants to go there).

But that was some years ago (before EK & Stone) and the team had been good for some time.

I guess EM has managed to influence some people's thinking on this subject, or its another bending to authority - idk.

When the team trades away its star players for lower quality players, picks and retreads, the fans will see the result which was predictable and start to stay away. However, if you build a team by retaining your stars and add younger picks and prospects, the fans will feel allegiance to the team and continue to attend.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If you go back further into history, the Senators had attendance close to the top of the league. I clearly remember researching that, finding the attendance stats, and being involved in subsequent discussions about this subject (no, I'm not going to research this and post it just in case someone wants to go there).

There is no question that 20 years ago people we excited about the new building, first rise of the Yashin->Havlat crew etc. We also know the government was buying tickets and that the building was papered to some extent... 20 years later many of those ticket pressures are gone.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Rogers spent the money out of a necessity. Rogers owns Sportsnet and Blue Jays baseball is key content for them. A losing team means less TV viewers and a lot less Ad revenue. And a winning team does the opposite.

For a long time they didnt spend though. The shift (actually spending) changed in person attendance, viewership and ad revenue too.

asking people who make 5-10 cents on the dollar to spend before a millionaire/billionaire spends is backwards

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So this is a bit of a circular argument. The example i can think of that best represents what you are saying is the toronto blue jays. For a long long time Rogers was saying we will spend more on the team if fans show up and spend money and fans just didnt believe it (sounds very familiar).

Toronto Blue Jays Attendance Records (1977 - 2020) by Baseball Almanac

The two way street argument does hold some water but if you have burned bridges like Melnyk has then he needs to make the first step imo (like Rogers)

Melynk would rightfully say that the first salvo was fired by fans - they didn’t attend his near cap playoff games ... the next fall he fired back at the winter classic and all the streamers and $1 Costco beer drinkers got offended.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Melynk would rightfully say that the first salvo was fired by fans - they didn’t attend his near cap playoff games ... the next fall he fired back at the winter classic and all the streamers got offended.

Im fairly certain our spending was getting reduced and our penny pinching was going on well before the playoff games that you are talking about

Im also fairly certain that the whole issue of fans v melnyk has been going on a lot longer then our last playoff run

So melnyk can say that all he wants that doesnt make it accurate

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Im fairly certain our spending was getting reduced and our penny pinching was going on well before the playoff games that you are talking about

Im also fairly certain that the whole issue of fans v melnyk has been going on a lot longer then our last playoff run

So melnyk can say that all he wants that doesnt make it accurate
It has been a team defined by major holes in the lineup due to the budget for like a decade, almost the entirety of Karlsson's tenure.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
It has been a team defined by major holes in the lineup due to the budget for like a decade, almost the entirety of Karlsson's tenure.

I agree but it leads back to my original post where i referenced the Blue Jays as an example. Acting like he has for a decade give or take and expecting the fans to not react is asking a bit much.

The funny thing is that as much as a sizeable portion hates melnyk if he started spending more and making moves to contend the problem would go away. Fans will still have a memory of it but the extreme dislike/hate will go away.

Rogers used to get near melnyk level hate for how they were running and spending on the blue jays. That has gone down significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad