Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why is that even the end of the world?

What is the risk? They have to select a new Captain?

As far as risk/reward, I think the risk of alienating Brady Tkachuk is greater than the risk associated with having to name a different Captain in 3-4 years.

A risk to what? Prestige of the organization?
It's also worth pointing out that a long term deal doesn't eliminate the potential for him wanting out or us deciding we can no longer afford or want to keep him.

Reactions: NyQuil

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
So why do it?

Why name someone else because of the length of contract?

He's already acting as Captain from what I could see, in terms of his demeanor and how he comports himself in interviews.

It's his team. I was firmly on Team Chabot for the Captaincy before this season, but I've changed my mind.

He speaks for the rest of them, he's vocal and he battles for his teammates. I was worried that he'd somehow hold himself back with the "C" but I think the opposite now.

It's easy to say that "well, it doesn't really matter anyway" but there's pretty strong evidence that it was a fairly major factor in Chara going elsewhere. Phillips was reportedly pretty bitterly disappointed that the "C" went to Karlsson instead of him.

I think it's more important than we think.
Chara didn’t leave because he wanted to be captain. He was never even offered a contract and he was upset how they treated Hossa.

Brady isn’t signing or not signing long term because of a letter on his chest.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chara didn’t leave because he wanted to be captain. He was never even offered a contract and he was upset how they treated Hossa.
Tell that to Mlakar who directly contradicts you and has direct knowledge of the situation.

Brady isn’t signing or not signing long term because of a letter on his chest.
And yet here Melnyk is bringing it up as something tied to contract term.

Honestly, what's the worst that happens, we bridge Tkachuk, give him a C and he leaves, the C then goes to the guy we'd have given it to had we opted not to give it to Tkachuk in the first place and we're no worse off.

Tying the captaincy to contract negotiations is just a bad idea.

Reactions: NyQuil

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
no no, don’t be silly. It’s because you’re a bigoted xenophobe, haven’t you followed the thread ;)
The irrational irritation you have for the mere suggestion that the team could move to a different part of what is functionally the same city geographically is pretty funny. Are you one of the folks who had their expired plate tags ticketed too, since that's apparently a thing. Cops ticketing expired tags, who would have thought? So unfortunate

Reactions: BatherSeason

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I am not a Melnyk booster by any stretch, but strictly speaking, if I owned the team, Tkachuk would already be captain. So I guess my point is I believe the owner definitely should have a say. It's his team.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
The irrational irritation you have for the mere suggestion that the team could move to a different part of what is functionally the same city geographically is pretty funny. Are you one of the folks who had their expired plate tags ticketed too, since that's apparently a thing. Cops ticketing expired tags, who would have thought? So unfortunate

lmfao
You wouldn’t happen to live in Gatineau would you?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I am not a Melnyk booster by any stretch, but strictly speaking, if I owned the team, Tkachuk would already be captain. So I guess my point is I believe the owner definitely should have a say. It's his team.
I don't think anyone has ever really implied that he doesn't have the right. It's more just objectively pointing out that it's not a good idea and has only ever hurt the franchise.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Everything true about an NHL arena in Hull (let's say at the Zibi location along the river near Place de Portage where Cirque du Soleil has been recently, or at the site of the Robert Guertin) is also true about the location of the current arena in Kanata. The big problems are the the drive through the neighbourhood south of Lebreton Flats (never sure of the proper name) that would be true of a Lebrteon arena and the bridges, which are the new problem.

Even as resident on the Quebec side, I think putting it over here would be a mistake, but let's not pretend it would be a whole lot worse than it's current location in Kanata.

And yes, he's posturing. He's trying to make it sound like he has options, even if they're totally unrealistic.

Reactions: branch

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I don't think anyone has ever really implied that he doesn't have the right. It's more just objectively pointing out that it's not a good idea and has only ever hurt the franchise.
Well, maybe he shouldn't be openly talking about it. Like I said, if I owned the team, Tkachuk would be captain but I wouldn't be talking to the media about it. It would just happen.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Tell that to Mlakar who directly contradicts you and has direct knowledge of the situation.

And yet here Melnyk is bringing it up as something tied to contract term.

Honestly, what's the worst that happens, we bridge Tkachuk, give him a C and he leaves, the C then goes to the guy we'd have given it to had we opted not to give it to Tkachuk in the first place and we're no worse off.

Tying the captaincy to contract negotiations is just a bad idea.

maybe seeing Alfie being a Captain as long as we did I don’t want to see the c being passed around like my ex girlfriend. If it goes to someone I want them to build an identity to an era with it an rock it for at least 6 seasons

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Everything true about an NHL arena in Hull (let's say at the Zibi location along the river near Place de Portage where Cirque du Soleil has been recently, or at the site of the Robert Guertin) is also true about the location of the current arena in Kanata. The big problems are the the drive through the neighbourhood south of Lebreton Flats (never sure of the proper name) that would be true of a Lebrteon arena and the bridges, which are the new problem.

Even as resident on the Quebec side, I think putting it over here would be a mistake, but let's not pretend it would be a whole lot worse than it's current location in Kanata.

And yes, he's posturing. He's trying to make it sound like he has options, even if they're totally unrealistic.
Also if those are realistic locations especially the Zibi location, that opens it up to foot traffic as well. Well, as much foot traffic as possible during the Ottawa winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->