Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear traded to Carolina for Warren Foegele

What Are Your Thoughts on the Ethan Bear for Warren Foegele Trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I feel like the writing was kind of on the wall for Bear.

Holland seems to be collecting players that are either fast or physical and hard workers. Bear really isn't any of those things.

Yeah I think Tippett likes Bear but Holland not. He had a great year and Holland kind played hardball on his contract and Bear didnt really come back in good form.

He had moments and Tippett gave him some leash but without being lights out in the playoffs he wasnt going to overtake Bouchard. He was not lights out.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Since the trade I have racked my brains as to why they did the deal and only one thing makes sense to me. They were afraid Foegele taken them to arbitration and decided to take Bear who is young and good for an asset they may walk away from.

Until Foegle signs, I am concerned about the knock on effect of this trade
Foegele was out of CAR by all reports. They went to arbitration last offseason and it was common knowledge that he was looking for a change of scenery for better opportunity. From all indications he seems happy to be an Oiler and is already training with McDavid, Hyman and Nurse.

The Hurricanes’ Warren Foegele dilemma - Canes Country

North

Jun 25, 2009
Since the trade I have racked my brains as to why they did the deal and only one thing makes sense to me. They were afraid Foegele taken them to arbitration and decided to take Bear who is young and good for an asset they may walk away from.

The one thing you have to keep in mind with Carolina is the owner. He’s a business man and he runs the team as such.

He assigns a value to a player and then won’t go above that price point. It’s why they traded Ned and it looks like that’s why they traded Foegele.

Reactions: Samus44

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

There are rumors that Foegele asked for a trade to get more opportunity and ice time.

Yeah I think Tippett likes Bear but Holland not. He had a great year and Holland kind played hardball on his contract and Bear didnt really come back in good form.

He had moments and Tippett gave him some leash but without being lights out in the playoffs he wasnt going to overtake Bouchard. He was not lights out.

Tippitt downgraded his role all year to the third pairing and benched him in the playoffs. The scuttlebutt around the team this offseason is that the core/coach wants more greybeards that don't fall apart under pressure, and now most of the players that fit that description have now been moved on or traded.

Supposedly there are people that are bullish on Bear in the organization, but I don't think either of Tippitt or Holland are in that camp.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
There are rumors that Foegele asked for a trade to get more opportunity and ice time.

Tippitt downgraded his role all year to the third pairing and benched him in the playoffs. The scuttlebutt around the team this offseason is that the core/coach wants more greybeards that don't fall apart under pressure, and now most of the players that fit that description have now been moved on or traded.

Supposedly there are people that are bullish on Bear in the organization, but I don't think either of Tippitt or Holland are in that camp.
I think Tippett clearly loved him. In fact I think the plan was to keep him until Larsson left but after he did the D was too small. Keith, Barrie, Bear, Russell was simply too small of a group especially since 3 of the 4 would be key players in defensive matchups. By signing Barrie to play with Nurse and moving him the team felt they could have just as good a player overall, better offensively but worse defensively, and turn Bear into a much needed 3LW. Good asset management if you think of it. It's important to remember they traded him for a quality young player, it wasn't like they were dumping him per say. I really liked Bear and I'm not sure I love it but I get it. I think the veteran angle is a bonus and was a consideration but I see it well down the list of reasons they made the move.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Foegele was out of CAR by all reports. They went to arbitration last offseason and it was common knowledge that he was looking for a change of scenery for better opportunity. From all indications he seems happy to be an Oiler and is already training with McDavid, Hyman and Nurse.

The Hurricanes’ Warren Foegele dilemma - Canes Country
The roster has a lot of flexibility with him in the fold. I wouldn't even mind seeing a 3rd line of Holloway-Hopkins-Yamamoto if he blows the doors off and putting Hyman on the RW. So many options with the versatility of Draisaitl, Nuge and Hyman. Although in saying that I kind of hope they develop Holloway as a center, that would be even more flexibility too. 4 impact two way forwards would be huge and could create matchup nightmares. Holloway in particular could easily become the big strong matchup C who wins draws and scores. McLeod could in theory too but he's got to nut up and play a grittier game if he's going to produce in the NHL as he doesn't have the talent to score or make plays from the outside consistently enough.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Holland had no money, if he doesn't play hardball Barrie isn't here. I think it's just the reality of the personnel here and asset management. I think Holland liked him just fine, he traded him for a quality young player.

I feel like the writing was kind of on the wall for Bear.

Holland seems to be collecting players that are either fast or physical and hard workers. Bear really isn't any of those things.
They like smart players too. That's why Nuge is here still. Bear was a smart player.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The roster has a lot of flexibility with him in the fold. I wouldn't even mind seeing a 3rd line of Holloway-Hopkins-Yamamoto if he blows the doors off and putting Hyman on the RW. So many options with the versatility of Draisaitl, Nuge and Hyman. Although in saying that I kind of hope they develop Holloway as a center, that would be even more flexibility too. 4 impact two way forwards would be huge and could create matchup nightmares. Holloway in particular could easily become the big strong matchup C who wins draws and scores. McLeod could in theory too but he's got to nut up and play a grittier game if he's going to produce in the NHL as he doesn't have the talent to score or make plays from the outside consistently enough.
If we can keep the number low and term long on Foegele our forward group could be set for the next 5 yrs.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
If we can keep the number low and term long on Foegele our forward group could be set for the next 5 yrs.
With quality pushing up in Lavoie, Savoie, Bordeaux to add to Holloway and McLeod too it could be a great future. The high skill the big 3 have is the hardest thing to find and I suspect Puljujarvi makes it a big 4 even. The D has a lot of great pieces too with Broberg, Samorukov, and the underrated Kesselring who looked strong in the AHL. The Tampa model is what I genuinely think is the plan and although they've been trading 2nd and 3rd round picks to balance the roster now and compete there's a reason they've been keeping their 1sts to draft physical specimens and drafting high skill in the later rounds. It means they need to hit on who they got, or move them for quality, and it seems like that's happening or will happen for the most part. Hopefully a goalie pans out as a starter, that would really be huge.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I will add that if Bear wasnt traded then Bouchard would have been traded.
I am glad how things panned out.
The brass ring is there for Bouchard to grab now. If Chiarelli left us with a stud right shooting defenceman from the 2018 draft his name could be mentioned once more without preceding or following curse words.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This trade has potential to help us out for a year or two and then really bite us. The long term outlook on the blue line would be just fine with the likes of Bear, Broberg, Bouchard, Samorukov, Nurse.. the right side was looking tough for next season. It’s a bit of a short sighted trade. I thought Bear would be able to land more than Foegele.

Reactions: MessierII

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They like smart players too. That's why Nuge is here still. Bear was a smart player.

They have some smart players, but I'd say there's a pretty clear trend on skating and size or physicality by Holland. Keith, Hyman, Foegele, Kassian, Archibald, Shore, etc.

I'm not saying Bear is bad, but I think he lost a lot of the gains he made in skating from the season before. He just didn't really fit the team identity Holland is going for while Foegele fits it to a T.

Reactions: North and Samus44

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
They have some smart players, but I'd say there's a pretty clear trend on skating and size or physicality by Holland. Keith, Hyman, Foegele, Kassian, Archibald, Shore, etc.

I'm not saying Bear is bad, but I think he lost a lot of the gains he made in skating from the season before. He just didn't really fit the team identity Holland is going for while Foegele fits it to a T.
Theres some truth in that but they did resign Barrie. And based on that observation I thunk thats why they didnt keep both. I agree with your general premise i just think they liked Bear fine but no so much they were willing to have 2 players that didn't fit the mold you are describing.

Reactions: McDNicks17

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Theres some truth in that but they did resign Barrie. And based on that observation I thunk thats why they didnt keep both. I agree with your general premise i just think they liked Bear fine but no so much they were willing to have 2 players that didn't fit the mold you are describing.
Yep. And they chose to keep the guy who had elite offensive abilities. It makes sense

Reactions: North and Samus44

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
When Barrie wanted to come back at a reasonable number, Bear was on the trade block. Both need a bit of sheltering to look good, and aren't ideal as shutdown partners. (Same with Bouchard). So when you can add Barrie for free, even if you prefer Bear you trade him because you can. With our young D coming we need spots for them. So it was trading from a surplus (offensive right D) to a need (forward depth). Also forward depth shouldnt just be UFA bargain shopping. You need young ones in their prime like Foegele. They aren't going to be cheap either

Reactions: xoczar99ox

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What are some of these narratives?
Tippett really liked Bear. Bear was traded b/c of Barrie.

The last 2 playoff embarrassments literally dictaded every move this offseason. Keith experience. Hyman and Foegle possession capabilities.

Bear was traded cuz he wasn't even remotely serviceable to play defense in either playoff. He was straight up a liabilty

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

The last 2 playoff embarrassments literally dictaded every move this offseason. Keith experience. Hyman and Foegle possession capabilities.

Bear was traded cuz he wasn't even remotely serviceable to play defense in either playoff. He was straight up a liabilty
I wholeheartedly believe Tippett really did like Bear who had a terrific rookie campaign. Tippett propped him up and went out of his way to compliment the player at every opportunity. Then, like you said, the 2019-20 playoffs saw Chicago specifically target Bear. They leaned on him hard and he fell apart. Bear never regained his confidence at all last year and the concussion didn't help matters.

The word is out on Bear. He is shifty and makes an excellent first pass but when you pressure him he makes mistakes.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

I'm a big Bear fan, and always have been.

but you are correct.....the last two playoffs, the kid was exposed dramatically.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Bear was a good kid and will be a solid defender for Carolina but Foegele addresses a huge need for the Oilers

Prefer this to overpaying for Bertuzzi or trading for DeBrusk who has to get paid

Instead we have a huge need for a RhD who can defend,have already a really bad goalie combo!

We need to score 5-6 goals to win games this coming season!

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Instead we have a huge need for a RhD who can defend,have already a really bad goalie combo!

Okay, but Larsson was the RHD who was a defensive d-man, so not sure what Bear has to do with that

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle
The last 2 playoffs/play ins....
Larsson got hurt and or was garbage.
Bear was garbage.
Russell was decent
Nurse decent last year and a God this year.
Our defense Is head and shoulders above what it was last year.
Ceci is better than Bear and Larsson.
Keith is better than Bear or Larsson or an injured klefbom.
It is gonna be a good year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

We have a better defence now then we did last season. The last 2 seasons we had Smith/Koskinen in net and they got us to 2nd place in our division each season while having a GAA under 3. Larsson was good this last season but he was a non factor the year before yet we finished 2nd both years. As much as I’d like a stud RD and a more reliable goalie then Koskinen I think we’ll be fine this coming season with the current lineup.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If nobody else is gonna say it, I will:

Foegele - in
8446871.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad