Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear traded to Carolina for Warren Foegele

What Are Your Thoughts on the Ethan Bear for Warren Foegele Trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think it's a wash right now and that's assuming Foegele delivers, which remains to be seen.

Do you have any reason to believe that Foegele won't deliver and Bear will?

He's been 5th and 7th in scoring on a pretty deep Carolina lineup. We aren't asking any more of him here. Given:

McD
Drai
Nuge
Hyman
Yama
Pulju
Foegele
Archibald
Kassian
Ryan
McLeod
Shore
Rookie
Rookie
Perlini

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Ethan Bear is a beauty. Went out and bought a kid hockey equipment so he could attend hockey camp. Gonna miss having him on the Oilers.

Love it!!

I separate Ethan Bear the person and Ethan Bear the player. The Oilers lose an incredible ambassador to the community and most especially to a large, non represented population. I'll miss Bear for his special story and as a fellow Sasky.

As a hockey trade this makes sense following Larsson not signing and the team needing to re-calibrate a considerable loss and distinct skill set. I'm not a fan of trading defensemen, especially young ones, for wingers. Ethan Bear is to my opinion firmly established as an NHL third pairing d-man and has shown ability in a small number of games (132) to play in a second pairing role stretching at times due to team need to first pairing. Poorly built though, the Oilers needed to build up forward depth and mix to add size and compete to a finesse group. I'm hopeful Foegele will have more upside but expect a high energy forward that will help the Oilers assert themselves harder and more aggressively against opposition. Success for me will be a guy that can pot 15+ goals per year with a consistent high energy motor, an assertive puck hunter, and can win board battles.

The trade is a push for me. But I think Bear's position, age and relative inexperience, utility of game with room to grow will tilt this hockey trade slightly to Carolina over time.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Do you have any reason to believe that Foegele won't deliver and Bear will?

He's been 5th and 7th in scoring on a pretty deep Carolina lineup. We aren't asking any more of him here. Given:

I'm not saying he won't deliver, I'm saying we don't know if he will yet whereas we know what Bear is capable of on this roster.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Could have had both and not Ceci at 4 years and more than $3M.
If you wanted absolutely no size or physicality on the right side, sure.

Bear to Ceci is a wash. Bear potentially has more to give than Ceci but I'd say Ceci is at least as good now if not slightly better.

Carolina will probably be playing Bear on the third pairing too.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not saying he won't deliver, I'm saying we don't know if he will yet whereas we know what Bear is capable of on this roster.
Bear is capable of playing 4/5 d minutes and doing okay.
We know he has great character but has issues getting into and staying in shape in the off season.
We also know when the going got tough, Bear went completely MIA

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Bear to Ceci is a wash. Bear potentially has more to give than Ceci but I'd say Ceci is at least as good now if not slightly better.

Indeed.

Barrie, Bear, Bouchard would have been disastrous defensively. Extra soft and while Bouchard had size he is untested and can’t be tasked with shutting down players at this time.

Critics would point out that it could have been Bear, Bouchard and another RD instead of Barrie (possibly even Ceci), but that would be putting almost all offensive responsibilities on Bouchard which would be poor for two reasons: 1) Too much to ask of a player with so few games played in the NHL (thanks Tippett) and 2) If he exploded offensively this year as the go to offensive guy he will cost much more on his next contract which could be tough to fit in.

I suppose Larsson, Bear and Bouchard would have had Bouchard as the go to offensive guy, though

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Indeed.

Barrie, Bear, Bouchard would have been disastrous defensively. Extra soft and while Bouchard had size he is untested and can’t be tasked with shutting down players at this time.

Critics would point out that it could have been Bear, Bouchard and another RD instead of Barrie (possibly even Ceci), but that would be putting almost all offensive responsibilities on Bouchard which would be poor for two reasons: 1) Too much to ask of a player with so few games played in the NHL (thanks Tippett) and 2) If he exploded offensively this year as the go to offensive guy he will cost much more on his next contract which could be tough to fit in.

I suppose Larsson, Bear and Bouchard would have had Bouchard as the go to offensive guy, though
Once Larsson and Oleksiak were gone and Savard was like...100% going to Montreal... The available right D kind of dropped. You had Barrie willing to come back at a discount and you had Ceci who apparently reached out to us to come here as well.

So we had a few choices
Barrie/Bear/Bouchard. 3 soft offensive d
Bear/Ceci/Bouchard which there is no proven anything there
Or
Barrie - Ceci - Bouchard much more well rounded

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Bear will be a top 4 D on Carolina by 5v5 icetime.

Bear is capable of playing 4/5 d minutes and doing okay.
We know he has great character but has issues getting into and staying in shape in the off season.

Allegedly. Of course, even if that's the case, the extent to which that actually impacted his game is also debatable.

We also know when the going got tough, Bear went completely MIA

Along with the rest of the team including its two superstars.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Indeed.

The Oilers don't have anything close to a shutdown D now either.

What happened to Nurse and Keith in this scenario?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The Oilers don't have anything close to a shutdown D now either.

What happened to Nurse and Keith in this scenario?

Perhaps they wouldn’t have had one in Larsson either if he played like he did the majority of his time here. The Ceci of the last two seasons doesn’t look to be as much of a downgrade from Larsson as some are saying.

For the second part, I’m talking about on the right side. Actually, having both Nurse and Keith makes it even more important that they didn’t have an all offense right side

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Allegedly. Of course, even if that's the case, the extent to which that actually impacted his game is also debatable.

Bear came in 8-10 lbs heavier than the previous season. And in his rookie year, he was also out of shape.
Guy is a pretty bad skater even when he was in shape so it's no surprise he struggled even more carrying that extra weight.

Reactions: McDoused

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Bear will see less 5v5 ice time than any other right shot d on the team

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Perhaps they wouldn’t have had one in Larsson either if he played like he did the majority of his time here. The Ceci of the last two seasons doesn’t look to be as much of a downgrade from Larsson as some are saying.

For the second part, I’m talking about on the right side. Actually, having both Nurse and Keith makes it even more important that they didn’t have an all offense right side
I always liked Larsson, even when he was enemy number one in Edmonton, and without revisionist history the same posters who can't stop themselves from pathologically hating the current roster moves critiqued Larson and made up the contingent that was overly vocal about the Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson transaction.

I don't know how things will go without Larsson, he did great at one thing last season, breaking the cycle and the analytics point to an elite season of performing that one task, but he wasn't a good skater, he isn't going to get any faster over the next 4 years, and he wasn't a good passer.

Bear is a fantastic passer with offensive instincts who got physically overwhelmed in the NHL. He'll have to work this out in Carolina.

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
I think Bear has more upside in value than Foegele, but Foegele fills a bigger need today, especially since Bear still needed time to develop, and Bouchard needs that time too. It's a win-now move - we'll see how it pays off, but I think today's value is pretty even between the two.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think Bear has more upside in value than Foegele, but Foegele fills a bigger need today, especially since Bear still needed time to develop, and Bouchard needs that time too. It's a win-now move - we'll see how it pays off, but I think today's value is pretty even between the two.
If Ethan Bear wasn't traded then subsequently lost his job to Evan Bouchard you don't get much in trade value for Bear.

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
If Ethan Bear wasn't traded then subsequently lost his job to Evan Bouchard you don't get much in trade value for Bear.

Yeah, unless you think that one of them could replace either Larsson or Barrie, there isn't really room for both. And, while there is some merit to making that bet, there is zero room for error - if either one of them is in over their head, you screw both the team and their development.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I kind of see each of their top ends in a similar vain. #4D is Bear's peak and #2LW is Foegele's. Both have probably shown equal flashes in each role, but haven't locked it down yet.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I always liked Larsson, even when he was enemy number one in Edmonton, and without revisionist history the same posters who can't stop themselves from pathologically hating the current roster moves critiqued Larson and made up the contingent that was overly vocal about the Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson transaction.

I don't know how things will go without Larsson, he did great at one thing last season, breaking the cycle and the analytics point to an elite season of performing that one task, but he wasn't a good skater, he isn't going to get any faster over the next 4 years, and he wasn't a good passer.

Bear is a fantastic passer with offensive instincts who got physically overwhelmed in the NHL. He'll have to work this out in Carolina.

I agree with most of what you are saying but where Larsson is probably needed is balancing some of our up and coming rookies. I'd feel a lot better about Broberg with a counterbalance like Larsson lined up next to him even if he loses a step or two over the next few years.

Reactions: Broberg Speed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad