Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear traded to Carolina for Warren Foegele

What Are Your Thoughts on the Ethan Bear for Warren Foegele Trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Not sure if it been mentioned but I couldn’t help notice that everyone posting a lineup has Foegele in the bottom six. From what I picked up on the Carolina board is that Foegele was wanting a bigger role in the lineup(top six). I hope this isn’t going to be a problem because I really like what this guy brings to the table. He seems to be able to take a hot pass and has the ability to finish. He might fit well with Draisaitl IMO.
I'd love for RNH to run our 3rd line.

But unfortunately he's not a line driver, but still a very good complimentary piece.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Right side is Pesce, Cole, RDA and Bear, Gardiner is left side. Both RDA and Gardiner are better then Bear.
Slavin - ADA
Skjei - Pesce
Cole - Bear
Gardiner

Gardiner might be better than Bear, but he's also left handed and highly injury prone. It's probably the primary reason why Cole was signed.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I watched an Oilers / Hurricanes game @ Rogers Place a couple of years ago & I remember Foegele really stood out. He was flying out there, hitting everything that moved and was quite the agitator. I thought to myself that this was the type of player we needed in YEG. Glad he is an oiler and hope he works out.
Yep seems like a younger faster version of Patty Maroon to me

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'll try to make this short and sweet.

You guys will like Foegele, he's on of the few day 2 picks that panned out quite well for us in the 2011-14 draft year range. Dude kicked serious ass in the Capitals playoff series in 2019. He plays hard, kind of reckless but in a good way.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Bit of a gut punch losing Bear, as he was one of the few home-grown talents that I think would have grown into a reliable middle pair Dman for years.

But when Larsson left, and we re-signed Barrie, it sorta made him a tad redundant.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
If Bear isn't traded and Bouchard pushes Bear out of the rotation this upcoming season, which is a very real possibility, you get diddly squat for Ethan in a trade.

That's one thing and other, they can't let Bouchard sit in the crowd anymore. So you had to choose on from Barrie, Bouchard and Bear and those first 2 will definitely have better return offense wise. I mean, last season Dmen top scorer for 4,5mil is definitely a good value. And what we saw last season from Bouchard, he's definitely what we need on our backend.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bit of a gut punch losing Bear, as he was one of the few home-grown talents that I think would have grown into a reliable middle pair Dman for years.

But when Larsson left, and we re-signed Barrie, it sorta made him a tad redundant.
I got shit on so hard for saying this earlier.

I wasn't even saying it SHOULD happen. But I had said, of Barrie is back Bear is gone.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I got shit on so hard for saying this earlier.

I wasn't even saying it SHOULD happen. But I had said, of Barrie is back Bear is gone.

Most years you are right but there was absolutely tons of right shot d available this year. Like the majority of the quality d this year were right shots. Out of all the big potential UFA d, Oleksiak was the only lefty

I agree with both your points.

This team could not retain Barrie and run a set of RHD of Bear, Bouchard and Barrie. Maybe the Oilers could have got more for Bouchard but I'd rather keep the player and trade the guy with a lower ceiling.

And looking at our depth we probably have 3 guys right now in the system who could step up in November and assume a role in the event of an injury. And that's just the right side.

If Samorukov breaks camp with a role there should be two guys down in the AHL who could step up and fill in at the NHL level if someone gets injured. Three if Samorukov doesn't break camp in the NHL.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Again its positive that the team made a BPA decision instead of a populist decision. On the ice Barrie is of course the far better player and really he's beyond even the conception of how far Bear will go. Barrie is a rarity in hockey, an elite production D capable of world class moves and puck movement.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Most years you are right but there was absolutely tons of right shot d available this year. Like the majority of the quality d this year were right shots. Out of all the big potential UFA d, Oleksiak was the only lefty
How many of em were young with a 2M cap hit? Oh well.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I watched an Oilers / Hurricanes game @ Rogers Place a couple of years ago & I remember Foegele really stood out. He was flying out there, hitting everything that moved and was quite the agitator. I thought to myself that this was the type of player we needed in YEG. Glad he is an oiler and hope he works out.
I might have seen that exact same game at Rogers and yes the kid looked great.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Ever since I first watched him play, he seemed like a modern day power-forward type that will help to win playoff games.
He, along with Hyman, Holloway, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto will be vital for post-season success
They've got the ability to really forecheck and succeed in hard areas now. It will only make the high skill guys like McDavid, Draisaitl, and Hopkins even better.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

midnightcopper

Apr 28, 2021
My heart goes out to the Indigenous folks in the Edmonton area.
Saw a TON of jerseys out there and have a couple friends with collections of just Bear. :(

The Ethan Bear Oilers logo made it to earrings and beadwork all through the province.

I think Foegele will be a nice addition, but could it have been anyone else but Bear. I understand that there were apparently some underlying issues...and of course the mistakes in the playoffs. But Bear certainly didn't own mistakes in the playoffs by himself. I get it and all...but a somewhat cold move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wretched Oil

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I think Foegele will be a nice addition, but could it have been anyone else but Bear. I understand that there were apparently some underlying issues...and of course the mistakes in the playoffs. But Bear certainly didn't own mistakes in the playoffs by himself. I get it and all...but a somewhat cold move.

Once Barrie was signed with Bouchard all but guaranteed a full time role on the right side it was inevitable that Bear wouldn’t have a place going forward

Reactions: Speedo

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I like the return for Bear but the trade confuses me from Carolinas perspective. When you look at Carolinas depth chart it’s hard to see Bear in the starting 6 if everyone is fully healthy.

Since the trade I have racked my brains as to why they did the deal and only one thing makes sense to me. They were afraid Foegele taken them to arbitration and decided to take Bear who is young and good for an asset they may walk away from.

Until Foegle signs, I am concerned about the knock on effect of this trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad