ESPN signs 7 year deal with the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
ESPN Names Burke Magnus President of Programming and Original Content - Variety

Burke Magnus has been promotoed to the president of programming and original content for ESPN. I think this is a good move for ESPN. I'd like to see how he brings in NHL Content. He's been on record in the past about being a pretty big hockey fan.

And it is just a great sport. I personally love it. I think the NHL playoffs and Stanley Cup is one of the great competitive sport properties on television. It just seems like the number of series that go seven games, the number of games that go to overtime, the fact that it’s the one sport where home/road seems to matter less than any other, it’s just really compelling.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Has Pierre McGuire landed anywhere yet?

Sorry American fans, you have to keep him, no sending him back to Canada.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
I'm too lazy to look it up, but are Linda Cohn and John Buccigross to be included in ESPN NHL coverage?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Another good spinoff from the media rights being split is there will be an internal competition between ESPN and Turner Sports. They will push each other to up their game with production and coverage.. Both will already want to up their game from the NBC production by default.. This will only bode well for American hockey fans.

In Canada, it is very evident that Rogers feels zero pressure to up their game since there is no competition (Nationally). Plus them overpaying for the rights doesn't help either.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
My #1 concern with the whole Disney/ESPN deal is how will that affect the NHL Center Ice programming?

Apparently local blackouts like what happens today. If you're in the states I think the ESPN plus package is going to be better value

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Apparently local blackouts like what happens today. If you're in the states I think the ESPN plus package is going to be better value
Not sure what ESPN+/Disney will have for programming...Not sure if they'll have the option of watching any game such as what Center Ice (or NHL TV for that matter), or if it'll be a handful of games per week of the more 'popular' teams?

I get the feeling that I won't be happy...

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
Reactions: FMichael
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes