ESPN signs 7 year deal with the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Interesting to see a few Canadian team games on the ESPN / ESPN+ schedule. Aimed at expats perhaps?

The Vancouver - Seattle game may be just trying to tap into a budding regional rivalry.

1.) They are limited by the number of times they can take a US team for an exclusive game. Because they are near max on the exclusivity they have to work in more games with Canadian teams.

2.) ESPN+ is a subscription streaming service, so rating don’t matter. The aim is to get US fans to subscribe to get the 8 or so games that are exclusive to ESPN+. Who those teams play those games doesn’t matter. There is only 1 Leafs game on actual ESPN and that is the only ESPN/ABC game that has a Canadian team. Turner has more Canadian games, but that is more of a function of having to fill a bigger schedule, team limitations and having to do a last minute schedule adjustment because of the AEW situation.

3.) the Vancouver-Seattle game is the Kraken’s first home game.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
ESPN+ is our new overlord. I do wonder if some Turner games get simulcast on HBO Max eventually?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
ESPN+ is our new overlord. I do wonder if some Turner games get simulcast on HBO Max eventually?

They have the rights to do so. Plus I think they have the rights to a non-exclusive slate for a streaming service. Though with the WarnerMedia spin off and Discovery merger that might end up being Discovery+ than HBOMax.

My guess is we won’t see movement on that from until the spin-off/merger is finalized. But there are also rumors that Turner might bid heavy for with the Premier League rights later this year, so sports is a strategy on the streaming front for them.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
With the schedule out they also placed the NHL behind MLB and above soccer/NCAAF (I don't know why this fascinates me).

Screenshot-from-2021-09-16-17-37-53.png

Reactions: Bostonzamboni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad