ESPN signs 7 year deal with the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I don't like that they are splitting the streaming games between two services. I was under the assumption all package B games will be broadcasted on TV.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
With all do respect to Steve Levy (who I like as a broadcaster overall) McDonough is the better option.
Not disputing your opinion, because I like both too, but getting the MNF PXP in the NHL games is a good look for the league. I don’t think I’ve ever heard McDonough call a hockey game but he definitely has a hockey voice. And he does the second feature college football game so that’s good too.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Not disputing your opinion, because I like both too, but getting the MNF PXP in the NHL games is a good look for the league. I don’t think I’ve ever heard McDonough call a hockey game but he definitely has a hockey voice. And he does the second feature college football game so that’s good too.

McDonough called the World Series in the 90’s for CBS and was their lead CFB announcer at the time. He’s called MNF in the past and calls one of the college football playoff games currently. I don’t think there is a drop in prestige on that front.

The worry is he hasn’t called hockey since the 90’s I believe. He called games in 90’s for ESPN before he went exclusive to CBS for a few years and called the 98 Olympics. I think he was the Bruins host before that. His calls were, it’s just been awhile. But at the same time outside of the World Cup and a few KHL games during the 2012-13 lockout Levy hasn’t called games since 2004.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
McDonough called the World Series in the 90’s for CBS and was their lead CFB announcer at the time. He’s called MNF in the past and calls one of the college football playoff games currently. I don’t think there is a drop in prestige on that front.

The worry is he hasn’t called hockey since the 90’s I believe. He called games in 90’s for ESPN before he went exclusive to CBS for a few years and called the 98 Olympics. I think he was the Bruins host before that. His calls were, it’s just been awhile. But at the same time outside of the World Cup and a few KHL games during the 2012-13 lockout Levy hasn’t called games since 2004.

I trust Levy though. He’s always been in-tune with the league. Slightly surprised Buccigross isn’t getting run here but maybe he’d rather be in-studio and available for college hockey.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I trust Levy though. He’s always been in-tune with the league. Slightly surprised Buccigross isn’t getting run here but maybe he’d rather be in-studio and available for college hockey.
Levy has had experience too owning a pro hockey franchise so that piece isn't that foreign to him, either.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Ez_RZ0LX0AMPVeW

Yikes, B/R had the Champion's League and Europa rights for like a year or something and it was down right terrible.

tornadowarning33

Feb 15, 2018
Ideally Bucci would go right back to NHL 2Night. That's the perfect role for him. As much as I enjoy his enthusiasm for the sport I've never been fond of him in a play-by-play role.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ideally Bucci would go right back to NHL 2Night. That's the perfect role for him. As much as I enjoy his enthusiasm for the sport I've never been fond of him in a play-by-play role.
I’d be willing to hear him, his enthusiasm for big moments is high. He could be the hockey Gus Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad