ESPN signs 7 year deal with the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
ESPN before getting nhl, SAS hates hockey

ESPN after getting hockey rights

This was expected - ESPN does not cover sports they do not have and you won't find any other TV partner that can promote you as well. I am pretty sure the NHL found that out with what has happened over the last decade plus with NBC/NBCSN. I always thought they should have done a deal (even if it was revenue sharing) post lockout with ESPN.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
This was expected - ESPN does not cover sports they do not have and you won't find any other TV partner that can promote you as well. I am pretty sure the NHL found that out with what has happened over the last decade plus with NBC/NBCSN. I always thought they should have done a deal (even if it was revenue sharing) post lockout with ESPN.

Should be noted things like the stuff with Steven A. are only going to be temporary. There will be a big push in the first year of rights to draw attention that they have it, but they will withdraw after that normal. They basically did this with NASCAR when espn first for the rights from NBC in 2007.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Should be noted things like the stuff with Steven A. are only going to be temporary. There will be a big push in the first year of rights to draw attention that they have it, but they will withdraw after that normal. They basically did this with NASCAR when espn first for the rights from NBC in 2007.

Well as long as it's available on tv and to cord cutters than even highlight would suffice. Up to the league to make it work too.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
The same familiar, and boring, personalities. Very few former star NHL players serve as analysts compared to their colleagues in the other leagues.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Both networks are going to hire experienced broadcasters for their #1 in-game pxp and color commentary roles. That isn’t a place to take a risk on someone who can’t do the job.

You may get some new faces for the studio analyst roles. At least there if the person doesn’t work out you can minimize them. You can’t hide a bad in-game crew.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Interesting ESPN signed a 7 year deal with MLB, so both NHL and MLB deals will be up after 2028

The MLB deals expired this year as well with the NHL. The Fox and Turner deals with MLB go to 2028 as well.

ESPN drops its midweek MLB slate in this deal, which is how it made room for the NHL’s Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Reactions: FriendlySpungo

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
New ESPN-MLB game includes very few games I found this intresting about the deal:

Assuming an expanded Wild Card round, the number of regular season baseball games (with the same Wild Card games ESPN gets 38 games) on ESPN’s linear networks will only slightly exceed the number of NHL games it will air in its new contract with that league (25).

Unlike ESPN’s NHL deal, ESPN+ will not have any exclusive MLB rights. The streaming platform will continue to carry one out-of-market game on most days of the regular season. It will have rights to air new studio and highlight shows. ESPN’s linear networks will also have expanded highlight rights.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
New ESPN-MLB game includes very few games I found this intresting about the deal:

Assuming an expanded Wild Card round, the number of regular season baseball games (with the same Wild Card games ESPN gets 38 games) on ESPN’s linear networks will only slightly exceed the number of NHL games it will air in its new contract with that league (25).

Unlike ESPN’s NHL deal, ESPN+ will not have any exclusive MLB rights. The streaming platform will continue to carry one out-of-market game on most days of the regular season. It will have rights to air new studio and highlight shows. ESPN’s linear networks will also have expanded highlight rights.

What's baseball doing with its playoffs? Right now, 10 teams make the post-season, right? How many are they considering increasing it to?

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
What's baseball doing with its playoffs? Right now, 10 teams make the post-season, right? How many are they considering increasing it to?

Last year in the short season they tested a 16 team playoffs with 8 per league, similar to the NHL in the way you got in, then they had the wild card game change to a best of 3 series so it became the wild card series. TBS retained their right to one wild card and ESPN got the other seven. Everybody believe that they were going to keep it this year but they choose not to altought when in december the CBA expires they might put that in the negotiations.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Last year in the short season they tested a 16 team playoffs with 8 per league, similar to the NHL in the way you got in, then they had the wild card game change to a best of 3 series so it became the wild card series. TBS retained their right to one wild card and ESPN got the other seven. Everybody believe that they were going to keep it this year but they choose not to altought when in december the CBA expires they might put that in the negotiations.

I googled it and apparently the MLB commissioner didn't like the 16-team playoffs. They are considering a 14-team post-season with the top teams in the NL and AL getting a first-round bye. I think that's a good compromise.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
I googled it and apparently the MLB commissioner didn't like the 16-team playoffs. They are considering a 14-team post-season with the top teams in the NL and AL getting a first-round bye. I think that's a good compromise.

And i'm sure ESPN would love that, they're clearly more intrested in more playoffs games than the regular season ones.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The same familiar, and boring, personalities. Very few former star NHL players serve as analysts compared to their colleagues in the other leagues.

ummm.....

plead analysts on network tv are former players. NBA commentators are former players, in MLB color commentators are former players.....

Thrn in golf...many are former players....same with nascar/racing...and tennis....

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
ummm.....

plead analysts on network tv are former players. NBA commentators are former players, in MLB color commentators are former players.....

Thrn in golf...many are former players....same with nascar/racing...and tennis....

I don't think that has anything to do with what the poster is saying.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

If I were ESPN I would make her the prime studio host (she would be a massive upgrade over Buccigross and Cohn) with giving her some pxp opps for some ESPN+ games and college hockey broadcast. She needs more reps on pxp first. However, one of those hires I assumed ESPN would make given her previous work there during the World Cup.

Also in the news today...

We know ESPN is looking for an on air insider...does 1 + 1 = 2?

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
If I were ESPN I would make her the prime studio host (she would be a massive upgrade over Buccigross and Cohn) with giving her some pxp opps for some ESPN+ games and college hockey broadcast. She needs more reps on pxp first. However, one of those hires I assumed ESPN would make given her previous work there during the World Cup.

Also in the news today...

We know ESPN is looking for an on air insider...does 1 + 1 = 2?

Sounds about right. Being on TSN, he’s already in the family. And ESPN likes Philly-based hockey insiders (see Al Morganti, WAY back in the day...)

Reactions: Anisimovs AK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad