ESPN signs 7 year deal with the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nice, let's go.

Right now the main highlight is that ESPN has the rights to 4 Stanley Cup Finals between 2022-2028. Would be nice if they could get that to ABC.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Wonder if they get Stanley Cup Finals right.

I doubt it since they have NBA Finals but who knows.

EDIT: Nevermind they do. They better all be on ABC.

DOCHockeyGuy

Jan 8, 2019
Wisconsin
This is great news. I’m hoping there’s no forcing it onto ESPN+ though. Gotta think the league was smart enough to not get roped into that

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
ESPN is committed to trying to make sure the NBA is still relevant

I would not be surprised if they started moving weekly games to ESPN+

They are stacked enough as is trying to show college basketball and the NBA all week
I am pretty sure NHL will not allow that.

ESPN can't air NBA games 7 days a week considering Turner holds other half of NBA tv rights.

There's definitely a space for NHL.

Sep 19, 2008
I am pretty sure NHL will not allow that.
I hope so

I mea I'd still pay ESPN+ but where would they put all the games then? ESPN already controls the rights to a lot of college basketball as well as half of the NBA and ESPN probably isn't interested in showing less NBA

Also interesting to see if Thorne returns as Thorne is not doing anything RN

Reactions: DaveG

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I hope so

I mea I'd still pay ESPN+ but where would they put all the games then? ESPN already controls the rights to a lot of college basketball as well as half of the NBA and ESPN probably isn't interested in showing less NBA

Also interesting to see if Thorne returns as Thorne is not doing anything RN
Its not "I hope so", its not happening, period.

Sep 19, 2008
ESPN can't air NBA games 7 days a week considering Turner holds other half of NBA tv rights.
ESPN also airs content other than the NBA and NHL (primarily college content) so your argument about ESPN airing NBA all week is wrong

Heck, with all the networks they have they might slide a weekly game on 2 or News

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
ESPN also airs content other than the NBA and NHL (primarily college content) so your argument about ESPN airing NBA all week is wrong

Heck, with all the networks they have they might slide a weekly game on 2 or News
Like what, during NHL season?

NFL but thats once a week.

Tryamw

Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
it isn't they've aired games nearly every day but Friday during CBB season
Also With all the Conference channels now they love the additional content. Yeah yeah they can put in occasional other sports but the ones that pay for the channel are Football and Basketball. Not soccer Lacrosse nor gymnastics.. Still some new content is still better then old content..

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
ESPN is committed to trying to make sure the NBA is still relevant

I would not be surprised if they started moving weekly games to ESPN+

They are stacked enough as is trying to show college basketball and the NBA all week

I doubt ESPN can just do that if its written in the contract that they air games a number of games per week on tv. NHL can require that.

Sep 19, 2008
I doubt ESPN can just do that if its written in the contract that they air games a number of games per week on tv. NHL can require that.
All I want is regular weekly games like NBC has Wednesday Night Hockey (and also weekend games like Saturday and Sunday afternoon, and Saturday nights)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

you're forgetting local contracts.... and Turner aka TNT/TBS, never mind NBA TV, which the NBA owns, and does WNBA/G-League, when necessary, John.

the NBA All Star Sunday night/and the All Star Game that was played Sunday in Atlanta, was simulcast both on TNT/TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->