ESPN Article: Top 10 Centers in the NHL, as Ranked by Players and Team Officials

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Really solid list overall.

Malkin should get more love, but never does. He's having a really bad season, but was great last season, and this was done at start of season.

I'd also have had Crosby above Matthews, but I suppose I could see the reasoning for liking Matthews.

I think Drai doesn't get enough respect, that's my one big nitpick. He should be in contention for #2. I also probably wouldn't have had Barzal at #10, and instead have another player there - but again, it's not a huge thing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ill just leave this here. Barkov has been getting nominated for the Selke for years now.

Team success or lack thereof does play into the award winners.

Actually watch the Panthers and focus on Barkov. Not sure who should be placed where. But he is a very special talent at both ends.

Ill see myself out now.

His highest finish was 4th and he has 1 other 5th place finish. That doesn't sound like "getting nominated for the Selke" to me, at least at the level I'd deem "best 2-way center in hockey".

Saying "just watch him" is a lazy argument. I'm not arguing that Barkov is a bad 2-way player, I'm arguing he doesn't have a case for being the best 2-way player in hockey. I'm saying he doesn't have the resume to be put over Bergeron (or even Couturier if we want to go further) as the best 2-way center in hockey.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Its a shame that so many people allow their distaste for a specific team tarnish their view of an exceptional talent.

Get used to Matthews being near the top of goals for the next decade+.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think it’s a pretty good list tbh. You can quibble about numbers 3-5 but it’s hard not to put Matthews at number 3 with the season he’s having. That said, I think there’s a bit of a gap between the top 2 and then 3-5 are really close.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby is ahead of Draisaitl, Matthews, and MacKinnon. People seem to forget defense is a part of the game

62% offensive zone starts. Doesn't PK. Doesn't shut anyone down. Has a career 5v5 GA/60 nearly identical to Ovechkin's.

The Canadian media started selling people on Crosby's alleged defense right when his offense fell off. It's mostly nonsense.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Tbh I still haven't seen a convincing argument for Matthews over Crosby yet. I don't think it's "wrong", but I just don't think Matthews has had that continuous level of being better than Crosby to warrant being rated higher than Crosby. I'd probably call it "premature" more than "wrong".

I don't think Matthews has shown a sustained level above Crosby that would make me rate him over Crosby like MacKinnon and Draisaitl have.

At the start of the season I think it makes sense to take Matthews over Sid.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No, it's judging players based on how good they are defensively based on the award given out to the best players defensively. You're just being asinine with giving him credit for something he has literally never accomplished and doesn't have an argument for beyond "because I say so".

By the time Bergeron started to come into the conversation for the best defensive player in hockey, he was already a finalist for the Selke or pushing for finalist finishes. Bergeron wasn't one of the best defensive players before he was in contention for those Selke finishes.

It's almost like judging a player based on a 30 game sample size is dumb because unusual things can happen in small sample sizes.

Oh wow, Crosby's doing the same exact thing with the Penguins right now. But I'm not grasping for straws to defend my asinine placement for him and using that as justification.

So you're judging how good a player is this year based on previous year stats only and ignoring everything that's happening this year and the mind blowing idea of a young player actually improving and becoming a better player lol /discussion.

With your logic there are no new cup contenders, only teams that made the SCF the previous year, no one can emerge as a contender for any award without first being a runner up. Terrible take.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Considering that Marner and Hyman aren't centers, and Tavares doesn't belong in the top fifty....

The first half of your post is correct (why even respond to a list that includes wingers), but to say Tavares isn't in the top 50 is just as bad a take. He's definitely not top 10, but once you're getting around 15 to 20, then he's definitely in the discussion.

People also need to remember that this list was at the start of the year. So you're not looking at where they are now. A lot has changed for some players since the start of the season (Eichel especially).

I would have McDavid, MacK, Drai, Matthews and Crosby...but that's just me.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
His highest finish was 4th and he has 1 other 5th place finish. That doesn't sound like "getting nominated for the Selke" to me, at least at the level I'd deem "best 2-way center in hockey".

Saying "just watch him" is a lazy argument. I'm not arguing that Barkov is a bad 2-way player, I'm arguing he doesn't have a case for being the best 2-way player in hockey. I'm saying he doesn't have the resume to be put over Bergeron (or even Couturier if we want to go further) as the best 2-way center in hockey.

There is no better offensive player in the league that plays better defense than Barky. If you need some Selke trophies before you can accept it. Thats on you. Watch him every night and you cannot deny that fact.

He is the best of both worlds. THE MOST COMPLETE player in the NHL.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So you're judging how good a player is this year based on previous year stats only and ignoring everything that's happening this year and the mind blowing idea of a young player actually improving and becoming a better player lol /discussion.

With your logic there are no new cup contenders, only teams that made the SCF the previous year, no one can emerge as a contender for any award without first being a runner up. Terrible take.

If you are going to make a claim like "he's the best 2-way center in hockey", then yes, I am going to look back at past year stats to evaluate that. Judging players based solely on 30 game sample sizes is downright asinine.

There's a massive difference between saying "Barkov is playing like the best 2-way center in hockey this year" (which may or may not be true) and "Barkov is the best 2-way center in hockey". It's the same difference as saying "the Panthers are playing like the best team in hockey this year" and "the Panthers are the best team in hockey".

There is no better offensive player in the league that plays better defense than Barky. If you need some Selke trophies before you can accept it. Thats on you. Watch him every night and you cannot deny that fact.

"Just watch him bro" isn't a rebuttal against what the actual results say.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If you are going to make a claim like "he's the best 2-way center in hockey", then yes, I am going to look back at past year stats to evaluate that. Judging players based solely on 30 game sample sizes is downright asinine.

There's a massive difference between saying "Barkov is playing like the best 2-way center in hockey this year" (which may or may not be true) and "Barkov is the best 2-way center in hockey". It's the same difference as saying "the Panthers are playing like the best team in hockey this year" and "the Panthers are the best team in hockey".

"Just watch him bro" isn't a rebuttal against what the actual results say.

Barkov was not the best 2 way C in hockey last year, Barkov is the best 2 way C in hockey this year. It's not that difficult.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Tbh I still haven't seen a convincing argument for Matthews over Crosby yet. I don't think it's "wrong", but I just don't think Matthews has had that continuous level of being better than Crosby to warrant being rated higher than Crosby. I'd probably call it "premature" more than "wrong".

I don't think Matthews has shown a sustained level above Crosby that would make me rate him over Crosby like MacKinnon and Draisaitl have.
I think for a lot of people they just need to see him carry his team through a playoff round or two before he’s accepted in the next tier. Mackinnon has done that. And I think it’s a fair argument really. When the chips are down can he elevate his game? Aside from 1 playoff series where he had 2 points in 7 games against Boston, he’s been very good in the playoffs. But he needs to will his team to a win on his own for others to accept it.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The argument from Leaf fans here in this thread is that Matthews > MacKinnon. We'll put it to the poll and have a real discussion and see who's better
Yes, you will totally get 100% unbiased answers and that will settle it.

I can already tell you Mackinnon will win that poll by a landslide. But you're a troll first and foremost, you already know this.

Its funny that people on HF always believe and preach that the difference between these two is so large, yet ask major media outlets or actual hockey people and it will be a toss up.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The first half of your post is correct (why even respond to a list that includes wingers), but to say Tavares isn't in the top 50 is just as bad a take. He's definitely not top 10, but once you're getting around 15 to 20, then he's definitely in the discussion.

Ehh, not anymore. This is a player who has only two more even strength goals than Vesey, Mikheyev, and Kerfoot. I don't think he's top 15-20 anymore, maybe around 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad