Erik Karlsson's Scoring Pace

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I have defended EK in the past, but his effort level last game vs Colorado on his blocked PP shot attempt was pathetic. Led to a breakaway, the penalty shot. Luckily, no goal.

Wish I could find video of it.

And before all the Sens fans come running in to his defense, I think he is clearly the best Dman in the game. But if you see that play, it was awful effort.

Edit: here is one camera angle of it, skip to 2:27. There was a camera angle from behind the Sens net that showed how bad his backcheck was.

I'd argue it was more of a terrible decision than it was terrible effort. He tried to force a shot, and then tried to poke at a lose puck while skating forward instead of starting to skate back to avoid exactly what happened. But yeah, not one of his better moments regardless.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
too bad hes wasted on a terrible team

You mean a team that has not missed the playoffs twice in a row since 1997? A team that has made the playoffs more than any team outside of Detroit and Sanjose in the last 20 years?

A team that was a post a way from making the cup finals against the eventual cup winners last season?

A team that players actually like playing in a come back once their careers are over that has had guys like Alfie, Phillips, Neil etc want to stay there for basically their whole careers.

The one with one of the best coaches in the league who drafts extremely well..

Thanks for coming out.

Reactions: Bileur and CCM19

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
He's going to have a bit of a down year, his foot is going to be holding him back for a while.

If you have watched Karlsson you know that is not the case. Hes played 10 games LOL with no pre season and had 15 points.

Hes been trying to get into game shape. He plays hard minutes and you dont just miss pre season and are 100%.

Your comment makes no sense. Hes by far the hest dman in the world and no othet dman this year taking Karlsson spot would make this team better. Not even close.

His foot is fine.

Reactions: Bileur

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm a Sens fan. I have watched all the games he's played this year.

He is most definitely not fine.

His skill and compete level allow him to battle but his skating is quite noticeably worse than it was last year.

Not unlike Stamkos who had to get used to having a rod in his leg, Karlsson has to grt used to whatever they did to his ankle.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd argue it was more of a terrible decision than it was terrible effort. He tried to force a shot, and then tried to poke at a lose puck while skating forward instead of starting to skate back to avoid exactly what happened. But yeah, not one of his better moments regardless.
If you are ever able to see the camera angle from behind the Sens net, you will see the effort I am referring to. He looked like he was still inside the Avs end when the shot came on Anderson.

There was a serious lack of effort there.

But overall, he does way more good than bad and I don't want people to think I am just trying to run him down. He controls the game like no other.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Karlsson is not a 100%, anybody who watches him regularly can tell. On the defensive end, his edge work, and back skating are missing quickness and speed, his timing on 1-on-1 is off. He is usually effortless in those fronts, but struggling mightily since he came back IMO. I hope it's just him getting back his timing with all the missed time and practice, and I REALLY hope it's not the net new he was talking about wrt how his "new" ankle feel. As a fan, I feel robbed - the guy was easily one of if not the fastest player in the world, he has never had the same explosiveness since his Achilles got shanked.

All that said, still expect this guy to play as the best player in the world. Best playmaker in the game and has the IQ to adjust his game if something is wrong with his body.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
You guys watching the game or what?

Because Eriks skating looks really freaken good. Forwards. Backwards and his turns. Getting better every game.

Hes been godly already to start.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Karlsson is not fine in any way, but he's still the best defenseman in the league and one of the best players. I would like a time machine where Cooke didn't cut off his leg. He would be the best player and it wouldn't even be a question. He had McDavid's skating level before the injury.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Karlsson is not fine in any way, but he's still the best defenseman in the league and one of the best players. I would like a time machine where Cooke didn't cut off his leg. He would be the best player and it wouldn't even be a question. He had McDavid's skating level before the injury.

His skating last season was still better than nearly anyone in the league. I don't think it made as much of a difference as people say, but now it probably will after the last surgery.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
His skating last season was still better than nearly anyone in the league. I don't think it made as much of a difference as people say, but now it probably will after the last surgery.

I agree that the difference was negiliable and more the result of a player maturing and picking his spots better that made the difference. The 2013/2014 season was definitely a recovery season after the Achilles slice, and that’s how I expected this season to be but I also expect him to adapt quicker than he did back then given his growth as a player. Still too early for me to say that the surgery will affect his skating long term but at the moment there is a noticeable difference.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If you have watched Karlsson you know that is not the case. Hes played 10 games LOL with no pre season and had 15 points.

Hes been trying to get into game shape. He plays hard minutes and you dont just miss pre season and are 100%.

Your comment makes no sense. Hes by far the hest dman in the world and no othet dman this year taking Karlsson spot would make this team better. Not even close.

His foot is fine.

well bud .... I'm a Sens fan and personally I think his foot is far from fine. Straight line he' ok. he can do all of the offence stuff but his skating is not fine....yet

Reactions: Boud

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
You guys watching the game or what?

Because Eriks skating looks really freaken good. Forwards. Backwards and his turns. Getting better every game.

Hes been godly already to start.
He said in an interview in swedish after the game yesterday that his foot felt 50%.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
170 points in 170 games.

This isn't 20 games or even one good season. Just insanity.

Crazy dominant today as well. He coud have eaisly had 5 or more points today.

Reactions: JFG

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
too bad hes wasted on a terrible team

Ottawa is currently the 6th best team in the NHL. Just went to game 7 in ECF double OT versus the two time Cup champs.

Ottawa is in no way a “terrible” team. They are capable of winning the Cup this season. They aren’t the favorite but they are definitely in the mix.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Because this is a giant feat and thread worthy.

Deserves recognition at how remarkable it is.

17 points in 11 games is amazing and all but 170 points in 170 games is special.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
If he wasn't fine in any way he wouldn't have 17 points in like 11 games. That said his skating is off, but he doesn't look hurt, in a way it resembles thay way he looked in 13-14. Basically he looks uncomfortable, this will get better, but his skating will probably always be affected by playing 30-minutes a night on a f***ed up ankle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad