Erik Karlsson's Scoring Pace

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think we may end up with a high scoring season this year. GPG is pretty high and we are almost 1/4th of the way through the season now.

Isn't it always higher in the first quarter and then it starts to gradually get lower as the zebras tighten their whistles and teams improve towards the playoffs? Is this time of the season really different from the past few seasons?

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I have him at number two spot for best player in the world right now:
1. McDavid
2. Karlsson
3. The rest... (Crosby, Malkin, Kucherov, Stamkos, Bob, etc.)

Reactions: Frank Drebin

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Isn't it always higher in the first quarter and then it starts to gradually get lower as the zebras tighten their whistles and teams improve towards the playoffs? Is this time of the season really different from the past few seasons?
It is significantly higher than prior seasons at the same point. Don't have the numbers on me though.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Obviously he's not going to be able to keep up this pace, but if he somehow did keep it up for 77 games, he'd end up with like...118 points. LOL.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Unless not missing a single game is a requirement:

Mike Green (08/09, 09/10) and Sergei Zubov (also 95/96) makes their way onto that list.

I'm confident you omitted these because you specifically stated 1 point more, but ppg would add:

Erik Karlsson (15/16), Nicklas Lidstrom (05/06) and Ray Bourque (95/96).

Interesting to note that all of these but Green and Karlsson came in higher scoring seasons, then again, Lidstrom and Bourque were a fair bit better defensively (and in Lidstrom case probably played an even more defensive role).

Yes, of course, but where do we draw the line of where a PPG season is not as impressive when you only played this many games? So it's just better to have players who put up the amount of season games +1 since he clearly said above PPG. ;)

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I think we may end up with a high scoring season this year. GPG is pretty high and we are almost 1/4th of the way through the season now.

Agreed, but I'm not sure we'll end up with as high scoring seasons as 95/96 or 05/06 which both are comparable, and I'm not sure there is an as obvious underlying explanation as an "adaptation period" post-lockouts with rule changes and what have you, as both previous seasons were. If I had to guess I'd guess it lands somewhere inbetween low scoring and high scoring, but higher than what we're used to.

Yes, of course, but where do we draw the line of where a PPG season is not as impressive when you only played this many games? So it's just better to have players who put up the amount of season games +1 since he clearly said above PPG. ;)

I see what you're saying. But if a 75 game season doesn't count as a "full" season for these kind of discussions then Forsberg played 1 out of 13 seasons, Malkin played 3 out of 12 seasons and Crosby played 7 out of 13 seasons. I suppose Zubov's could be debated.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I see what you're saying. But if a 75 game season doesn't count as a "full" season for these kind of discussions then Forsberg played 1 out of 13 seasons, Malkin played 3 out of 12 seasons and Crosby played 7 out of 13 seasons. I suppose Zubov's could be debated.

If it's 75 games then 75 points would be impressive but it would still not be answering what he was asking. 83 in 75 games would have to be accomplished.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
If it's 75 games then 75 points would be impressive but it would still not be answering what he was asking. 83 in 75 games would have to be accomplished.

And why is that?

The question was:

Who was last defender to go over ppg at end of season?

If we use your strict definition of over ppg so 1.0 ppg is disqualified that still leaves (in 75 games) 76 and anything above. Mike Green scored at a 1.01ppg pace. What am I missing, please explain why it wouldn't?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
And why is that?

The question was:

If we use your strict definition of over ppg so 1.0 ppg is disqualified that still leaves (in 75 games) 76 and anything above. Mike Green scored at a 1.01ppg pace. What am I missing, please explain why it wouldn't?

I read it as over a season but sure if it's the end of the season there have been plenty of players who have gone ppg over 20, 40, 60 games... where do you draw the line?

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I read it as over a season but sure if it's the end of the season there have been plenty of players who have gone ppg over 20, 40, 60 games... where do you draw the line?

I definitely see how one could theoretically see it that way, and it's certainly unclear where the line should be drawn, but 20, 40, games? At that point you struggle with sample size, possibly unsustainable rates and potentially a lot of other things.

60 games seems somewhat reasonable?

But 70, or even 75, would anyone really make arguments like "do you really think he'll keep that pace up over a season" relative to a 82 game season?

Since the mid-nineties lockout...

There have been 1486 player seasons consisting of 82 games.
There have been 3400 player seasons consisting of 75-81 games.
There have been 1551 player seasons consisting of 70-74 games.

That's a lot of potentially relevant seasons that gets filtered out by using such a strict interpretation.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Just use 82-gme sample sizes and paces a that's the standard league measurement for a full season.
Go with 50-60 minimum games played for the forward or attacking player, or 30-40 for a goaltender.
Go from there.
For the record, I don't see Norris as a clear favourite for the Norries this year with how Pietrangelo is playing and Tampa Bay as a whole. If the Senators break to the top of the Atlantic and dramatically clean up their defensive play, it's likely his. Bob MacKenzie has said over and over on our local radio that he gives Karlsson his first-place vote every year, so there's at least none given vote.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
scoring pace only ? .... I see he's on like on pace for -40 ? threw 82 game season

If I were going to bring up a +/- argument in a thread about a defenseman's scoring pace, particularly Karlsson against whom that same tired argument has been cast numerous times per season since he won his first Norris, I'd be sure to proofread my post first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad