Erik Karlsson's Scoring Pace

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He hasn't been good for his standards.
Agreed, the points have been there but this is the worst he has played in a very long time. Worst decision making he has had since he was a rookie. The injury and the flu haven't helped of course but he is forcing it right now. He also doesn't seem to have that inate ability to feel the pressure from a blind spot that makes him so incredible. I'm sure it will come but if you have watched the player and not just the box scores this thread doesn't exist.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just wait till his Achilles is 100%
Sadly I don't think this ever happens. I just hope he can get into a groove where everything looks to easy for him. That's when he is at his best, I suspect it will be a few months. This break to Sweden came at a great time considering all the injuries for the sens.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
17 pts in 11 games from injury. Nothing about EK surprises me. Hope he is healthy going into the playoffs this time. I think Ottawa has a real shot going all the way this year.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Cant really compare the points.
Different era.
Much easier to add points in Coffey era.
Top 10 in league these days put up 100-120pts vs 150-215pts back then

So probably at least 1.5 factor

Nothing scientific here just a general idea

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Cant really compare the points.
Different era.
Much easier to add points in Coffey era.
Top 10 in league these days put up 100-120pts vs 150-215pts back then

So probably at least 1.5 factor

Nothing scientific here just a general idea

It's still quite impressive to be mentioned in the same sentence as Coffey though. I agree it was much easier during the 80's to put up points, which says a lot about what Karlsson is doing in today's game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think its a testament to his talent that he has been able to put up the points he has at maybe 70% of where he was last year , never mind before the Achilles injury. There are some comments on his decision making this year... In some instances its more what he sees, what he knows he could do, and his body not letting him do it this year so far. His ankle was a mess after last year's playoffs. I just hope there is a way it recovers without having to resort to pain meds, or local injections to allow him to do what he does. I fear if not it could cut his career short. I don't think anyone reads the ice and sees the plays before they happen like Karlsson. Combine that with great physical ability we have something special.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
No he still sucks defensively . Too small as well. Can't defend and should be a forward.

He doesn't even look 100% yet recovered from his injury.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
PinkFly said:
Didn't Matthews embarass Karlsson in his first game in the NHL? :huh: Karlsson gets walked on a regular basis.​

Its certainly not on a regular basis, when he is healthy it almost never happens. It's incredible how every thread has to be turned into a leaf thread. It's like a bunch of toddlers that need constant attention.

For PinkFly - Funny what you remember because many of us remember Karlsson undressing Matthews for the GAME WINNING goal in overtime in the same game. Funny what inconvenient facts some people ignore. Lol.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I really think Karlsson could crack 100 points in a season but it would require a very good Ottawa PP and some really hot stretches. Too bad he missed those first 5 games this season.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Assuming you mean at least 1 point more than the total amount of games of that season it's Brian Leetch in 95-96 you are looking for, with 85 points in 82 games.

Unless not missing a single game is a requirement:

Mike Green (08/09, 09/10) and Sergei Zubov (also 95/96) makes their way onto that list.

I'm confident you omitted these because you specifically stated 1 point more, but ppg would add:

Erik Karlsson (15/16), Nicklas Lidstrom (05/06) and Ray Bourque (95/96).

Interesting to note that all of these but Green and Karlsson came in higher scoring seasons, then again, Lidstrom and Bourque were a fair bit better defensively (and in Lidstrom case probably played an even more defensive role).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Forgot to quote the guy saying Matthews is a super hero
Hes not even ppg
All those points as a Dman
Shows how Karlsson is good
Yah its not just your post though... seems like any thread where a star player is discussed goes in the same direction... did not mean to single you out.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
If a defensemen isn’t good based on getting walked a couple times in a bad game that his team won, they might need to start handing Norris’ to goalies.

But hats off to Matthews still for that incredible rookie debut though.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
870BA2A3-A0DC-4F5E-94A6-95EA1DA6DC71.jpeg
He was walking in July.
Still in a cast septembre 16...

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
View attachment 83259 Still in a cast septembre 16...

He posted that on Sept. 16 saying hed come a long way..however he had surgery june 15th and in early july 28th he was stil wearing bandages and had to wear crocs ans he posted saying "when the lower body doesn't work..you work out the upper body."

The point is he wasn't supposed to be back until early November which is all that much more crazy.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Unless not missing a single game is a requirement:

Mike Green (08/09, 09/10) and Sergei Zubov (also 95/96) makes their way onto that list.

I'm confident you omitted these because you specifically stated 1 point more, but ppg would add:

Erik Karlsson (15/16), Nicklas Lidstrom (05/06) and Ray Bourque (95/96).

Interesting to note that all of these but Green and Karlsson came in higher scoring seasons, then again, Lidstrom and Bourque were a fair bit better defensively (and in Lidstrom case probably played an even more defensive role).
I think we may end up with a high scoring season this year. GPG is pretty high and we are almost 1/4th of the way through the season now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad