Erik Karlsson's Scoring Pace

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Unverifiable. Okay. What is verifiable? Have you ever read a Karlsson thread? It's all hyperbole. And Corsi certainly isn't since it uses home rink biased RTSS stats. So what do you want?
We wouldn't have played the same game under Murray, and Sutter. In fact, I have doubts he would have blossomed into the offensive player he is under them which is why we see Doughy's offense sag and his defense improve. You swap the two, and he likely isn't even on the Kings roster because he struggles defensively.

The reason why the Kings won in 12' and 14' was because of defense and structure. Doughty played his role perfectly and played a ton of minutes because he could be relied upon to get the puck deep and play man to man defense. Does that sound like that would ever be Karlsson game? Would he thrive in that environment? No.

Here are the facts as we know them: Drew Doughy has two Stanley Cups and two Gold Medals and one very well deserved Norris trophy. Erik Karlsson has 0 Stanley Cups and 1 Silver Medal and 2 Norris'. If I don't like those facts and you don't have a time machine then all arguments about Karlsson being able to win on those teams on moot. You either win or you don't win.

See how that works? And yes, you're to blame too. You've also used the same flawed argument to prop Karlsson up without a time machine. So without all of the mental gymnastics that you Sens fans and Swedes use where does that leave us again?

Two Stanely Cups and Two Gold medals and one Norris

vs

0 Stanely Cups and 1 Silver medal and two Norris'.

I don't know about anyone else reading this but to me it's a clear choice. I take the winner every time because there is a reason why they win.

I can't take anything you say seriously when you throw this out there: "he likely isn't even on the Kings roster because he struggles defensively."? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He will sign somewhere as a UFA for $12M per in summer 2019, and eventually get his Cup. Or he should.

Right, right here in Ottawa and hopefully we can dump Ryan or Phaneuf by then to make room for younger/better assets. The only way he dumps us is we are tire fire in the next year or so or Anderson goes Andrew Raycroft or Hammond on us. Andy should go to .913 or so save percentage soonish, so all good.

I can see Pietrangelo giving him a run, guy is beast right now.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So happy he's healthy and dominating. Hoping he's going to lead me to some fantasy money this year.

Just no more serious injuries. For a guy who makes his living with his skating he's had some serious and crazy foot injuries.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
He's the best defenseman of this generation but his defence is suspect.

Yeah that is absurd.

He is elite defensively. He is not 100% just yet. When you are exhausted you are more prone to mistakes the normal and when you just came off a summer of being in a cast and zero conditioning and have no pre season its going to take you sometime to get to where you are physically. But all things considered he's still been ridiculous all around. Not peak EK level but those always come as the season progresses and as the playoffs come.

You do not get award after award after award in every tournament you play by being suspect defensively. Did you watch him in the playoffs last year? Did you watch him in the playoffs against Montreal in the 2 series? He was the best player in both those series as well.

How about the Olympics where he led the tournament in scoring and yet was not on the ice for a single goal against the entire tournament?

He is an elite all around Dman. What makes him great offensively is what makes him great defensively.

What he has done so far this season is INSANE and he is still just getting into game shape.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Karlsson is no where close to 100% and it is showing more on D than O.

Still, he is so good he finds ways to dominate games. Unreal.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Better than Lidstrom ever was. Karlsson just dominate games in a fashion Liddy never was capable of.

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
Its an insult for Karlsson to be compared to Drew Doughty, I sometimes wonder what acid people take before posting. EK is in a league of his own, AINEC.

Reactions: branch

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I have defended EK in the past, but his effort level last game vs Colorado on his blocked PP shot attempt was pathetic. Led to a breakaway, the penalty shot. Luckily, no goal.

Wish I could find video of it.

And before all the Sens fans come running in to his defense, I think he is clearly the best Dman in the game. But if you see that play, it was awful effort.

Edit: here is one camera angle of it, skip to 2:27. There was a camera angle from behind the Sens net that showed how bad his backcheck was.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Having a decidedly average year so far. This is still his pre-season though, so I assume he'll round into shape.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
I have defended EK in the past, but his effort level last game vs Colorado on his blocked PP shot attempt was pathetic. Led to a breakaway, the penalty shot. Luckily, no goal.

Wish I could find video of it.

And before all the Sens fans come running in to his defense, I think he is clearly the best Dman in the game. But if you see that play, it was awful effort.

Edit: here is one camera angle of it, skip to 2:27. There was a camera angle from behind the Sens net that showed how bad his backcheck was.

It was awful, but of course what you will no doubt leave out is the extended period preceding it where he dodged and weaved and kept the play alive in the O zone seemingly forever with 2 or 3 defenders on him. That might have a slight impact on his usual race back to backcheck (which he usually wins). But sure - ya, he's terrible.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
It was awful, but of course what you will no doubt leave out is the extended period preceding it where he dodged and weaved and kept the play alive in the O zone seemingly forever with 2 or 3 defenders on him. That might have a slight impact on his usual race back to backcheck (which he usually wins). But sure - ya, he's terrible.
Lol calm down. He's obviously amazing but hes allowed to be criticized..

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I can't take anything you say seriously when you throw this out there: "he likely isn't even on the Kings roster because he struggles defensively."? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Karlsson plays beast level defensively (and obviously offensively) in all the biggest situations. 3 rounds of playoffs last year on literally a totally messed up foot that required surgery and months of rehab. World Cup and Olympics he was outstanding and barely was scored on when on the ice. The Olympics zero goals on ice against.

Anyone questioning Karlsson’s defensive abilities and overall game and ability to play at the top of the elites in the game is just not paying attention.

Basically after the playoffs the defacto opinion on Karlsson is that he is the best player in the world except McDavid and Crosby.

Karlsson is clearly not in his top condition now after the surgery and months off of his feet and missing the start of the season and preseason... and yet even though he does not have his A game yet he is 1.5 ppg, third in the NHL with 15 points in 10 games. Despite not being at near his best.

Karlsson is an elite superstar and there is not even a debate. He is easily the best defenceman in the world and quite possibly the best player in the world.

Anyone calling him crappy or going on about how he sucks defensively today is an actual fool. Willfully ignorant. Out of touch with tangible reality. Just being a troll.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Ya he's only on pace for like 110 points...

To be fair, both defensively and even offensively he still isn't the same as he was last year.

A lot of it is obviously the foot surgery, missing camp, still catching up to game pace, adjusting to his new foot, etc.

He often delegates 'zone' defense on the boards to his partner, while he generally takes care of cross seam or point passes around the slot, but he's been doing it much more often this season so far. Probably due to his lowered confidence in his skating ability right now. He's also not intercepting as many passes in the neutral zone as before, but again his skating is a huge issue.

Still easily our best player, but he is still catching up and trying to organize himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad