Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm a little salty because I wanted EK of course, but it's just bonkers to me that the return was not the most important factor for OTT. It's very obvious to me that OTT just flat out refused to move him to the East (pretty much us. Don't think any other team in the East was discussed beyond minor junk). Maybe we weren't offering anything better, but I find it very, very difficult to believe that what they got was the best offer on the table.

Even if you deal him for Sergachev straight up, you can sell that piece to your fans as a cornerstone to your rebuild. "We got this young defenseman who stepped in as a rookie and played great. He's only going to get better and he will be able to play and grow with our other young defensemen like Ceci and Chabot."

All they can say now is "We got some magic beans and some average ass players".

It's just kind of crazy to me. There will be players moved during this seasons trade deadline that will get a better return than the Sens just got for a year of Erik Karlsson. I do feel bad for some Sens fans. I feel like we weren't too far off from this before Vinik saved us.

But for all those ones that were talking Sergachev AND Point. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Whats funny is that even after taking that less deal with SJ and putting all these conditions in it to keep him out west, Karlsson could still end up playing for TB next year and Ottawa wont gain anything from that fact. I mean they (Melnyk) obviously didnt think it fully through. I mean they traded him out there hoping he would re-sign and wouldnt go to FA. You dont sacrifice a great return just so that you can "hope" that he wont test FA. You have to think they talked extensively to Karlsson about what he wants. You had to come up with the conclusion that he could walk in FA and he could go where you dont want him to go. So I just fail to find any logic in the decision they made. But as others have stated it, its Melnyk running the team.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
There seems to be an almost overwhelming sense that Karlsson is sure to test UFA. Why? If the SJS are a smash success, Karlsson and his family may feel it to be smartest to not let it get to that point.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
There seems to be an almost overwhelming sense that Karlsson is sure to test UFA. Why? If the SJS are a smash success, Karlsson and his family may feel it to be smartest to not let it get to that point.
I think the only way that EK signs in SJ is if they win the Cup. I still believe he wants to be in TB ultimately.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Not going to think into too much into it but i feel like Karlsson preferences was either Vegas, Dallas or us. With him being in San Jose honestly not sure if he's intentions to sign there or hit FA. If it is the latter then any of the three teams will get him.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
The former is what worries me the most. Given how often we've fallen short, I cannot see us being an attractive destination any longer if the SJS win the Cup.

Tampa will always be a attractive destination even if we win a cup or not. The fact that we have arguably one of the best prospects pools in the NHL as well as some talented players on the rosters already would put us a great position if he did hit FA. Maybe he feels like he could be the missing piece which could get us to the cup.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I'm still pretty steamed that Melnyk is such a C sucker that he refused to trade with us.

But I feel a lot for OTT fans. Man this has got to be hard.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm still pretty steamed that Melnyk is such a C sucker that he refused to trade with us.

But I feel a lot for OTT fans. Man this has got to be hard.

Yea waking up today and not being able to get the deal done sucks but it really really sucks for Ottawa fans today. Wouldnt be surprised to turn on the news to see them rioting and burning down that arena.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Because Karlsson has said as much.

Right now he's said he's gonna see how his family likes SJ. But, beforehand, every single report said he wanted to test free agency and make as much money as possible. The only reports to the contrary said we were the one place he might sign with immediately.

So maybe he does stick with SJ. I'm sure they'll go waaaay out of their way to sell him on the place, and players seem to love it there. So it's definitely not a give he'll get to UFA. ...But if he does, it would seem our chances are good.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
One thing is for sure. They were at bare minimum offered the Mcdonagh package with probably a +

Is the McDonagh offer better than this one? Pick wise both gave up a guarenteed 1st, we gave a 2nd that could be a 1st, they a straight up 2nd but also a potential additional 2nd or 1st. So if the conditions are met they give up more in picks. For prospects you can maybe say Howden and Norris are a wash, 1st round centers with middle 6 upside. Hajek and Balcers play different positions but are similar prospects in mid pair to middle 6 forward, so could be a wash there. DeMelo isn't micha decent NHL quality defender but nothing special. Tierney is good and could be even better with a bigger role. So Ottawa got a better return than we would have given them if we went with the McDonagh package.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Because Karlsson has said as much.

Right now he's said he's gonna see how his family likes SJ. But, beforehand, every single report said he wanted to test free agency and make as much money as possible. The only reports to the contrary said we were the one place he might sign with immediately.

So maybe he does stick with SJ. I'm sure they'll go waaaay out of their way to sell him on the place, and players seem to love it there. So it's definitely not a give he'll get to UFA. ...But if he does, it would seem our chances are good.

You'll have to forgive me but I've grown skeptical when it comes to players and what they want. I suppose your argument is as good as I'll find anywhere else to think otherwise. In any case, I do not believe we either can or will offer him the greatest salary, rather I think it will be a deal similar to Ottawa ($10 million AAV) because well.... we all know why already. I just hope you're right because by all measures, Karlsson should have been traded to us in July; especially if it is true that we had a done deal nixed at the 11th hour.

Next July is going to be very interesting. I do think for all our potential losses that we face, Brisebois will attempt to extend Stralman no matter what happens.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Downside to San Jose is the taxes and higher cost of living there (not that it matters a whole lot).

The amazing thing isn't that they refused to trade him to Tampa...but rather Vegas didn't offer or got rejected For something similar to the Patches trade.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Downside to San Jose is the taxes and higher cost of living there (not that it matters a whole lot).

The amazing thing isn't that they refused to trade him to Tampa...but rather Vegas didn't offer or got rejected For something similar to the Patches trade.
What's Dallas' excuse?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's not a forgone conclusion that he won't re-sign or that he will test UFA and sign with us, but I think if he does test UFA, we would definitely be near the top of his list. To me, that is pretty exciting. TB needs to take care of business this year though. No taking a step back this year. Need to take 2 steps forward :)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What's Dallas' excuse?

It's hard to say if Dallas was ever all that serious. When you hold the reports of what was happening up against what actually happened, I don't think it's a stretch to believe Ottawa was feeding false information to the media. No proof they did it about Dallas, but it appears pretty likely they were behind the Vancouver story, which makes you wonder what else.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Whats funny is that even after taking that less deal with SJ and putting all these conditions in it to keep him out west, Karlsson could still end up playing for TB next year

Not happening.

Karlsson will extend long-term in San Jose by December - book it... write it down in Sharpie... take it to the bank.

Tampa had their chance to land Karlsson and they didn't. The same with Dallas, Vegas, etc. Dorion took a garbage return because that was the only multi-asset offer they received that was even remotely palatable, which is a disgrace.

I'm not buying any of that "Ottawa wouldn't trade Karlsson to the East nonsense." The Sens would have traded Karlsson to Tampa if their offer was much better than San Jose's, which was easy to beat.

People dissected the trade last night and said that San Jose didn't move either of their 1st and 2nd ranked prospects or any of their best youngest roster players. Apparently, no team was willing to offer young roster players of quality or their top-rated prospects because GM's knew Ottawa was in a tough spot, and to quote Elliott Friedman, "When it came to offers, GM's sent Dorion anchors instead of a life raft..."

Yzerman/Brisebois were playing a tight poker hand and felt they had some leverage. But it's apparent that none of: Sergachev, Point, Foote, Cirelli were offered. Because all of them were better than any piece San Jose gave up in the deal.

I will never be convinced that if Tampa offered Foote, Cirelli, Raddysh, 1st and 2nd that Ottawa wouldn't have taken that deal in a heartbeat. That deal is LIGHT YEARS better than the Sharks deal. No comparison. But Tampa probably figured, "if San Jose isn't offering their best young players or top prospects, why should we?" My answer to that is: Easy, because you want Erik-freaking-Karlsson.

This is a big blunder by Tampa IMO as Karlsson was the game changer who could have helped them win at least 2 Cups in the next 5 years. I mean, Tampa still could win a Cup or two, but with Karlsson, they become the overall favorite (without question) for 5-7 years. But they were greedy and tried to steal one of the three greatest defensemen on the planet in the prime of their career.

Same with Dallas, Vegas, and any other team in the league for that matter. That Sharks offer was a complete embarrassment. If I was an owner, I'd be calling my GM into the office and ripping them apart, asking why the couldn't beat that crap offer and bring me an Erik Karlsson.

Dreadful trade.

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Not happening.

Karlsson will extend long-term in San Jose by December - book it... write it down in Sharpie... take it to the bank.

Tampa had their chance to land Karlsson and they didn't. The same with Dallas, Vegas, etc. Dorion took a garbage return because that was the only multi-asset offer they received that was even remotely palatable, which is a disgrace.

I'm not buying any of that "Ottawa wouldn't trade Karlsson to the East nonsense." The Sens would have traded Karlsson to Tampa if their offer was much better than San Jose's, which was easy to beat.

People dissected the trade last night and said that San Jose didn't move either of their 1st and 2nd ranked prospects or any of their best youngest roster players. Apparently, no team was willing to offer young roster players of quality or their top-rated prospects because GM's knew Ottawa was in a tough spot, and to quote Elliott Friedman, "When it came to offers, GM's sent Dorion anchors instead of a life raft..."

Yzerman/Brisebois were playing a tight poker hand and felt they had some leverage. But it's apparent that none of: Sergachev, Point, Foote, Cirelli were offered. Because all of them were better than any piece San Jose gave up in the deal.

I will never be convinced that if Tampa offered Foote, Cirelli, Raddysh, 1st and 2nd that Ottawa wouldn't have taken that deal in a heartbeat. That deal is LIGHT YEARS better than the Sharks deal. No comparison. But Tampa probably figured, "if San Jose isn't offering their best young players or top prospects, why should we?" My answer to that is: Easy, because you want Erik-freaking-Karlsson.

This is a big blunder by Tampa IMO as Karlsson was the game changer who could have helped them win at least 2 Cups in the next 5 years. I mean, Tampa still could win a Cup or two, but with Karlsson, they become the overall favorite (without question) for 5-7 years. But they were greedy and tried to steal one of the three greatest defensemen on the planet in the prime of their career.

Same with Dallas, Vegas, and any other team in the league for that matter. That Sharks offer was a complete embarrassment. If I was an owner, I'd be calling my GM into the office and ripping them apart, asking why the couldn't beat that crap offer and bring me an Erik Karlsson.

Dreadful trade.

Well apparently Sergachev was in the trade Melnyk nixed last second, so that already makes it better then the Sharks offer.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not happening.

Dreadful trade.

Well all that you say would be true if we know that TB could have gotten him with a better offer and had that chance to. We dont know that. I dont know why we wouldnt have been able to unless Dorian/Melnyk just didnt want to trade him here. I highly doubt that we didnt/werent prepared to beat it. I just dont think they wanted to trade him here. Who knows. This is why some beat writers/insiders want to know what TBs offer was. Im sure we are all curious here too.

As for whether EK re-signs. I dont know, probably will re-sign. But you never know. The deal from SJ looks like a rental price and doesnt seem to hurt them much if he doesnt re-sign. I would make that deal for one year of Ek if I thought it gave us a great chance to win a cup. Which is the ultimate goal. Especially for a team like SJ who has been so close to winning one but never could fully put it together. Getting one if not the best D in the league should give you a much better chance at it. But SJ doesnt make this trade with an intention to let him walk no. They will do their best to re-sign. Im not as confident as you that he will but it wouldnt surprise me if he did.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not happening.

Dreadful trade.

You're ignoring the steps Ottawa took to keep Karlsson from going east, and their own comments after the Hoffman trade. They weren't trading him here. We had a deal "done" that they backed out of.

Also, please don't even mention Point in this. That would never have been a consideration, nor did it have to be, considering the way it went down.

You have no idea what we offered, nor the reasons for Ottawa turning it down (...even though we know why they turned down Florida's superior offer for Hoffman, but I digress.). Sooner or later the offer will probably leak. From their side.

ADD: The mistake you're making is applying hockey logic to a group (Ottawa) who've proven that hockey is not their motivation when making trades, while not giving that same benefit of the doubt to Yzerman/Brisebois, who've proven the opposite.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not happening.

Dreadful trade.

No one knows what was offered but given our pool of roster players and prospects, it would have been significantly easy to land Karlsson. Until we know there is no way or any sense in debating this.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
According to who?

Somebody on their board said that Sergachev was in a deal last weekend and was nixed last minute by Melnyk. I had heard that we had another deal nixed by Melnyk last weekend too but I didnt hear anything about Sergachev. After seeing the return, I doubt Sergachev was ever in a deal for him but we are talking about Melnyk again. I dont know how he would be that dumb to decline that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia