Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
I feel like he will go to Vegas but do i think that he will sign an extension remains to be seen. Considering Vegas are not going to including Glass in the deal i find it strange how were expected to part ways with sergachev or point from some of there fans.

Reactions: AndreRoy

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Signs point to Vegas but I'd love him to be here.

It would suck losing all our prospects and picks but hell, you may only get one chance in your lifetime to see your favorite team win a cup as a superteam.

I want to see that.

Reactions: berlin

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We might be able to work some kind of three way deal to get Ryan off the books. Keep in mind it was Larry Brooks who started this up, a NYR guy. NYR is in a retool/rebuild, so they can take on money (hell, look at Vlad's contract), and they need youth.

I honestly think we'll have to give Ottawa Sergachev to beat Vegas's offer. And then we'll have to give up something like Foote to get NYR to take Bobby Ryan's contract. But Karlsson would come signed, probably to a team-friendly deal.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I hope your wrong lol. Obviously I want him here:(
Me too I hope I'm wrong...but I don't believe in EK here. For many reasons: Bobby Ryan contract, the same EK that will be very expensive, for example.
Like JT, also EK for us would be a luxury, not a need.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
We might be able to work some kind of three way deal to get Ryan off the books. Keep in mind it was Larry Brooks who started this up, a NYR guy. NYR is in a retool/rebuild, so they can take on money (hell, look at Vlad's contract), and they need youth.

I honestly think we'll have to give Ottawa Sergachev to beat Vegas's offer. And then we'll have to give up something like Foote to get NYR to take Bobby Ryan's contract. But Karlsson would come signed, probably to a team-friendly deal.

I think I'd pass if this is what it came down to. I'm not sure how we'd fill the rest of our D without Sergachev + Foote on ELCs. Cernak + KK + a depth signing/Dotchin? Have Hedman/Karlsson/McDonagh each babysit someone? Could create even more problems.

Reactions: Stammertime91

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If we want him now its going to take a lot of maneuvering and most likely have to facilitate a 3 team trade. It's too complicated and I don't think SY wants to do that much in so little time. I think we wait till FA and see what our situation is then. We can make space and if hes a FA then we sign him. Dont have to lose anybody unless on our terms. Problem is he may get traded and extended. If that is the case it just wasnt meant to be. Unless they want to do all that maneuvering in a little time. Would be fun to see at least.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Yeah, I think Vegas is the most probable place for EK to end up as well.

But this is SFY they're dealing with so who the hell knows what could happen?? :laugh:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I think it's clear at this point that if the Lightning want Karlsson that it has to be right now, there is no next year for signing him.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Will be interesting to see if Yzerman does pull the trigger and try and go for Karlsson, there seems to be a few teams who are in talks with Ottawa over a deal. By us not being able to afford Ryan contract i don't think that we are a front runner for getting Karlsson.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Will be interesting to see if Yzerman does pull the trigger and try and go for Karlsson, there seems to be a few teams who are in talks with Ottawa over a deal. By us not being able to afford Ryan contract i don't think that we are a front runner for getting Karlsson.

I think it's pretty plausible that we're already trying to bring a third team (NYR) in to take Ryan's contract.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I think we are getting him. Its nothing more than a feeling, but there is a lot of smoke.

Send Cal Foote to OTT, a 1st, and Killorn/TJ, Raddysh is expendable as well and should be given to the team taking Ryan (maybe a 2nd rounder too?)

Hedman-Karlsson-McD-Serge
Makes us automatically set as the best D in the league for at least 5 years. Foote looks OK but honestly, we don't need him with those 4 in the team. We could fill the other two spots with players like Cernak and a vet D like Brewer/Girardi.

EK is sweet about TB, and we might not have the chance in decades to get a player like him again. Just go for it.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think the biggest thing for Karlsson is to get the hell out of Ottawa. His preference may be Tampa, but if it helps facilitate a deal for him to go somewhere in a good position I'm sure he'll sign an extension with another team.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If you can keep this core together and find the cap space to fit Karlsson onto the team too, you don't need any more prospects.

Reactions: DFC

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I think we are getting him. Its nothing more than a feeling, but there is a lot of smoke.

Send Cal Foote to OTT, a 1st, and Killorn/TJ, Raddysh is expendable as well and should be given to the team taking Ryan (maybe a 2nd rounder too?)

Hedman-Karlsson-McD-Serge
Makes us automatically set as the best D in the league for at least 5 years. Foote looks OK but honestly, we don't need him with those 4 in the team. We could fill the other two spots with players like Cernak and a vet D like Brewer/Girardi.

EK is sweet about TB, and we might not have the chance in decades to get a player like him again. Just go for it.

IF point takes 5M, Stralman 4M, and both Kucherov and Karlsson settled at 10M, we could do it. The problem another year or two down the line is resigning Sergachev, giving Vasy a raise, etc when we don't have anymore "bad" contracts to shed. We would then be looking at removing ANOTHER middle 6 forward like Killorn or Palat. This will be after letting Gourde walk, moving Johnson and losing Killorn or Palat. That's a lot of trust in rookies to fill in those places and holes in the bottom 6 over the next two years.

The more I look at us sacrificing offense in a time where "defense wins championships" isn't entirely the MO to winning a cup, the more I'm skeptical of this. We would have roughly 24M tied up in three defenseman, and over half the cap tied up in 3 defenseman, Kucherov and Stamkos. Roughly 43M/79.5M. It would help if we had another guy to bridge but when key pieces to the roster are nearly all 5M cap hits, that's a lot to move and hopefully replace by guys with zero NHL experience.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If you can keep this core together and find the cap space to fit Karlsson onto the team too, you don't need any more prospects.

Pretty much what I've come to terms with. If we kept Sergachev by some magical way, we don't need to resign Stralman. If we move Sergachev, all we need is one of Dotchin or Cernak to fill in the bottom pairing as Foote won't be needed. Losing a guy like Raddysh wouldn't hurt too bad either.

The biggest hang up is how many guys are we going to bring up that can play and produce if we did this? Starting in 2019-2020 it could be three and we would need them to be like the Crunch wave from 5 or 6 years ago. It's not impossible but its risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad