Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'm probably delusional, but I see him being with SJ as a chance for him to audition to play for us. No skin off our back if he re-signs there, but committing 10M to him in free agency I want to be sure that he will transition to a stocked team seamlessly.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm probably delusional, but I see him being with SJ as a chance for him to audition to play for us. No skin off our back if he re-signs there, but committing 10M to him in free agency I want to be sure that he will transition to a stocked team seamlessly.

He seems like a guy who gets the best out of the players around him. Ugh. I so want to see that guy feeding passes to Stamkos and Kucherov.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Don't worry guys, san jose can't compete with true love :sarcasm:

6TACNaH.jpg
We sent Hoffman and his Fiancee Monika Caryk to Florida to offset this :sarcasm:

Melinda Karlsson probably wants to be on the opposite side of the continent from the woman she applied for an order of Protection from for Harassment and Cyberbullying, instead of being pulled into the Florida Hockey wives circle with her.

Doug Wilson plays some 4D chess.

Hockeyfan4453

Jul 26, 2009
City of Champions
Curious to hear what you all think...McDonagh is playing phenomenal this year and we've had a great start to the season. I still sit here imagining having a top 4 of Hedman-Karlsson and McDonagh-Stralman. Call it wishful thinking, yes.

But things are actually going quite well for us. Karlsson has yet to sign a contract extension. The Sharks frankly don't look too great. I know it's going to take time to adjust, but they don't look like a serious contender to me in the West. They really don't impress me tbh.

Karlsson hasn't quite found his game, there's sort of an awkward fit with him and then Burns playing there too. Let's say things don't work out this year for Sharks and they get bounced early in playoffs (if they make it, which I think they do). Karlsson still has an affinity to Tampa, realizes the importance of playing in a great city, organization, and there are players on our team like Hedman that he is close with.

I really do feel like he wants to be here and win. Sharks don't do well and he comes to the realization that he wants to be in Tampa, even at a discount. Brisbois' comments seem to reference a desire to have had him...

Can my pipe dream be a reality???

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Probably not. For one - EK can't sign an 8 year extension until after the TDL so that is likely the hold up. For two - the cap is a thing and we probably won't be able to fit him in. Third - trade during the season is all but impossible with the conditions on the trade that Ottawa picked, so him as a rental isn't happening either.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There is absolutely no chance he signs for term here, not realistic as all with our cap situation and his price. A "discounted" rate was already factored in before the McDonagh signing and that was hard enough to fit. But bottom line, we dont don't need him, we have enough offense already while McDonaghs defensive game fills a need.

The only way we get Karlsson is if he signs a 1 year Tampa-fitted deal and goes for the cup.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think karlsson wants to come here but for it to happen the lightning would have to dump probably two good players to fit his contract in here! Would it be worth it ?

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Don't get me wrong if we was able to get Karlsson to a reasonable deal i would say that i am all for it. However, i feel like the time has passed on us getting him with the extensions coming into place next season and the NMC clauses being implemented in the contracts.

He will sign with the sharks again anyway.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't see Karlsson taking that much of a discount for 8.5 avv per year I think he at least makes the lightning give him a 9.5 avv cap hit

If he were to come he would have to take a discount. Dont know if or think he would but thats what we are looking at.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't mind the idea but my question to you is what would you do after that season when we need to resign vasy and sergachev?.
Hope the cap goes up 4+m again?

Also, I really hate our bottom line there. Conacher is not an every day player, and certainly not a fourth liner. Anyway - EK isn't happening.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't mind the idea but my question to you is what would you do after that season when we need to resign vasy and sergachev?.

Would have to get rid of more salary and also hope the cap goes up. Which while makes it possible I agree with others highly unlikely to happen.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017

Also, I really hate our bottom line there. Conacher is not an every day player, and certainly not a fourth liner. Anyway - EK isn't happening.

Got to admit that the 4th line did raise a few issues with me, there does seem to be a lot of youth in the team next year which could go either way. It would have happened already and even then there was a slim chance that it would, now is probably 90% impossible.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Could probably switch Concacher with Erne who I forgot about. But yea I agree EK isnt happening.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
With how we're playing right now and with the depth we have I don't see the benefit in adding yet another offensive piece like Karlsson. I'm not saying Karlsson wouldn't make us better, but if I had to pick I'd rather add another defensive / two-way piece with experience than bolstering an already league-best offense.

IB4 less need of defense thru more offensive zone time. I'm aware of that argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->