Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ownership is probably as good as any in any sport and the new GM is stellar as well. Worked side-by-side with Yzerman for all 8 years prior. Cooper gets a little bit of grief for not bringing the Cup home with the talent we have but he's done a pretty good job overall. Biggest concern I have about our team is cleaning up that sloppy penalty kill. Most of the year it was hot garbage. Hopefully getting rid of Rick Bowness fixes that.

I have faith. Todd Richards took the PP from one of the worst in the league to one of the best. Let's see what he can do with the D/PK. Can't get worse.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
LOL Actual quote:

Scott McArthur: "Do you believe, and I'm hoping this for Senators fans--I lived up there, worked up there, covered that team for a lot of years in the 2000s--do you believe that this IS leading to Eugene Melnyk selling this team sooner rather than later?"

Steve Simmons: "Absolutely not."

Scott McArthur: "My GOD."

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-10...ators-fan-you-are-feeling-abandoned-1.1172496

Around the 4:30 mark.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
And Ottawa still has Bobby Ryan.

images

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Kind of feel like Yzerman or Briseboi pulled the deal if Karlsson wasn't going to sign an extension. Kind of goes against the current narrative of Melnyk being a Melnyk. But would make tons of sense that at zero hour, Karlsson said he wouldn't sign and Briseboi noped the f*** out of there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kind of feel like Yzerman or Briseboi pulled the deal if Karlsson wasn't going to sign an extension. Kind of goes against the current narrative of Melnyk being a Melnyk. But would make tons of sense that at zero hour, Karlsson said he wouldn't sign and Briseboi noped the **** out of there.

Sounds more like Ottawa wouldn't trade him to us regardless, given the condition on one of those picks. Makes no sense, but hey, #Senators.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
That's awesome. Sucks we cant have him for this season since it's such an important one for us, but will be great to try to get him in July.
Maybe it's not the best solution for us (of couse the best one is to acquire EK this summer) but it could be ok to bring him to Tampa next summer.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Pierre McGuire was on TSN radio saying Ottawa beat reporters need to find out what TB offered. I really, really hope they do.

Side note: He said word around the hockey world is TB is raving about the way Sergachev showed up to camp. Not sure if he's just talking about conditioning or what, since I don't think they've been on the ice yet.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sure as hell looks like Ottawa knows that Karlsson wants to sign here in summer and that's why they added all those clauses.

Probably knowing he a would sign an extension with us the price would have been way higher and we didn't want to pay it. Let's see what happens in FA

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sure as hell looks like Ottawa knows that Karlsson wants to sign here in summer and that's why they added all those clauses.

Probably knowing he a would sign an extension with us the price would have been way higher and we didn't want to pay it. Let's see what happens in FA

I don't think we were ever even an option for them. What the Hoffman trade revealed was they were willing to take less to deal Hoffman west--Florida paid significantly more than SJ. They even said they didn't want to deal him within the division. And Dorion has never made a trade inside the Atlantic.

Trying to project logic onto the Ottawa Senators is useless right now. They've shot themselves in the foot no less than three times in the past 12 months, probably more. And now they're in a position where they're tanking for benefit of the Colorado Avalanche.

I know in most cases, we arm-chair GMs couldn't actually do as good a job as the GMs we criticize, but this is a rare exception. Those two have ****ed that franchise for years and years and years.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
I don't think we were ever even an option for them. What the Hoffman trade revealed was they were willing to take less to deal Hoffman west--Florida paid significantly more than SJ. They even said they didn't want to deal him within the division. And Dorion has never made a trade inside the Atlantic.

Trying to project logic onto the Ottawa Senators is useless right now. They've shot themselves in the foot no less than three times in the past 12 months, probably more. And now they're in a position where they're tanking for benefit of the Colorado Avalanche.

I know in most cases, we arm-chair GMs couldn't actually do as good a job as the GMs we criticize, but this is a rare exception. Those two have ****ed that franchise for years and years and years.

They could have had a chimp at the helm and done a better job, and 100% confident Dorion is never going to be in an NHL organization in any capacity after Melnyk sells/dies he is just that incompetent.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Obviously the Fantasy here is that he does not sign in SJ goes to FA in July and signs here meaning that we get him and did not have to give up anything. Considering some of the names that were speculated in a trade with Ottawa that we now still have and probably will still have come July next year for all intensive purposes this is not a bad thing if it pans out as we hope.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Obviously the Fantasy here is that he does not sign in SJ goes to FA in July and signs here meaning that we get him and did not have to give up anything. Considering some of the names that were speculated in a trade with Ottawa that we now still have and probably will still have come July next year for all intensive purposes this is not a bad thing if it pans out as we hope.

We'll still have to shed money to make it happen, but Callahan should get nothing but easier to trade as the term of his deal dries up, and we have those three expiring contracts on D (I still think we keep Stralman). Signing EK will probably cost us Gourde (UFA), but we'll have to see how the season plays out to figure out if we can afford to lose him.

I mean, let's not forget Matt Carle is still on the payroll. And between him and Callahan, I believe that's 7.6m that, a couple of years from now, will be gone.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Pierre McGuire was on TSN radio saying Ottawa beat reporters need to find out what TB offered. I really, really hope they do.

Side note: He said word around the hockey world is TB is raving about the way Sergachev showed up to camp. Not sure if he's just talking about conditioning or what, since I don't think they've been on the ice yet.
One thing is for sure. They were at bare minimum offered the Mcdonagh package with probably a +

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yea I would like to see what the final offer from TB was. Ill go out on a limb and say it beat SJs offer that got the deal done.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
You have to wonder if there was a mandate not to even consider trading him to us (given what we saw in the Hoffman exchange as well as the conditional pick in the eventual deal).

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yea I would like to see what the final offer from TB was. Ill go out on a limb and say it beat SJs offer that got the deal done.
Should've gotten another team into it to flip Karlsson to us to f*** with the Sens. Easier said said done though, there's a pretty big difference between Erik Karlsson and Mark Streit.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm a little salty because I wanted EK of course, but it's just bonkers to me that the return was not the most important factor for OTT. It's very obvious to me that OTT just flat out refused to move him to the East (pretty much us. Don't think any other team in the East was discussed beyond minor junk). Maybe we weren't offering anything better, but I find it very, very difficult to believe that what they got was the best offer on the table.

Even if you deal him for Sergachev straight up, you can sell that piece to your fans as a cornerstone to your rebuild. "We got this young defenseman who stepped in as a rookie and played great. He's only going to get better and he will be able to play and grow with our other young defensemen like Ceci and Chabot."

All they can say now is "We got some magic beans and some average ass players".

It's just kind of crazy to me. There will be players moved during this seasons trade deadline that will get a better return than the Sens just got for a year of Erik Karlsson. I do feel bad for some Sens fans. I feel like we weren't too far off from this before Vinik saved us.

But for all those ones that were talking Sergachev AND Point. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You have to wonder if there was a mandate not to even consider trading him to us (given what we saw in the Hoffman exchange as well as the conditional pick in the eventual deal).

That's where I'm at. I think they used us for leverage and it wound up backfiring.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm a little salty because I wanted EK of course, but it's just bonkers to me that the return was not the most important factor for OTT. It's very obvious to me that OTT just flat out refused to move him to the East (pretty much us. Don't think any other team in the East was discussed beyond minor junk). Maybe we weren't offering anything better, but I find it very, very difficult to believe that what they got was the best offer on the table.

Even if you deal him for Sergachev straight up, you can sell that piece to your fans as a cornerstone to your rebuild. "We got this young defenseman who stepped in as a rookie and played great. He's only going to get better and he will be able to play and grow with our other young defensemen like Ceci and Chabot."

All they can say now is "We got some magic beans and some average ass players".

It's just kind of crazy to me. There will be players moved during this seasons trade deadline that will get a better return than the Sens just got for a year of Erik Karlsson. I do feel bad for some Sens fans. I feel like we weren't too far off from this before Vinik saved us.

But for all those ones that were talking Sergachev AND Point. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

We could have dealt from the middle of our prospect pool and come up with something better than what they got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad