Speculation: Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They were obviously involved with us at one point. We should have made it worth their while. Its ERIK FREAKIN KARLSSON.

From what I heard we tried but got nixed by Melnyk. Dont think he ever wanted to see him here. Why it took so long? To see if a team would extend him to keep him there. I dont know if that happens or not but it looks like there are conditions on SJ trading him east. We can make it worth SJs while if we really wanted to I think.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Come on! Where is everyone with all the excuses?
I mean it's pretty obvious that OTT just refused to deal him to us because we're in the East. The clause on the conditional first proves it. I guarantee we had better offers on the table but they just wouldn't trade him to the East.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I mean it's pretty obvious that OTT just refused to deal him to us because we're in the East. The clause on the conditional first proves it. I guarantee we had better offers on the table but they just wouldn't trade him to the East.
If that's the case than I'll apologize and admit that's mine way wrong. Same if he doesnt sign in SJ.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
If that's the case than I'll apologize and admit that's mine way wrong. Same if he doesnt sign in SJ.
It's not that it's been reported as such or anything, but that conditional pick speaks volumes. Coupled with the fact they literally got nothing in return for him shows me that him not being in the East was more important to OTT than the actual return.

Hell, Serge+Raddysh+pick easily beats out what they got. I'd argue Serge alone beats out what they got.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I can see SJ trading him at the deadline if they dont think they will contend or be able to re-sign him. Then watch as they get a way better return. Ottawa royally screwed their fans with this. I wouldnt be surprise to see an empty building for their home games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They were obviously involved with us at one point. We should have made it worth their while. Its ERIK FREAKIN KARLSSON.

And THEY nixed the deal at the last second. A deal that, according to SIA, was "done." Then part of the return they got for him included protection that he WOULDN'T be dealt east. If you don't think that's significant, I don't know what to tell you.

I think there's a silver lining here. The return suggests San Jose doesn't have a great shot at signing him to an extension.

So, come July, we're back in this thing, and we won't have to deal with Eugene Melnyk.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't see why Ottawa is so obsessed about him not being in the East. They aren't contenders and won't be for a while. Who cares if they make an East team better?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
The thing that gets me is OTT got nothing to sell to their fans. There is no building block in that deal. There's some average pieces. That's about it. If they couldn't get him to agree with an extension pre trade, why not just take the best offer, location be damned? They wanted him out of the East so bad, despite knowing how likely it is he's going to end up in TB anyway that they were willing to take back trash just to keep him out.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The much crazier thing is Dallas and Vegas couldn't beat that. It seems obvious that we had to pay a premium because we're in the east, or they were just unwilling to deal with us other than to drive the price up.

I think we had a deal "done." It was probably better than this because, if reports are true, we have a chance to actually sign EK, which, it appears, SJ does not.

We'll see what happens. But it looks like the dream comes back to life in July.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Probably the Senators asked a too high price to trade him in a Atlantic Division team.
And I suppose, this is the reason why he's not landed in Tampa at the moment.
No problem, Tampa is good, very good today.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
The much crazier thing is Dallas and Vegas couldn't beat that. It seems obvious that we had to pay a premium because we're in the east, or they were just unwilling to deal with us other than to drive the price up.

I think we had a deal "done." It was probably better than this because, if reports are true, we have a chance to actually sign EK, which, it appears, SJ does not.

We'll see what happens. But it looks like the dream comes back to life in July.
DFC, this time I agree with you :) :) :)

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Former sens fan coming in peace, TBL was my 2nd favorite team for a while now, and have now become team #1, what do I need to know ?
Point is involved in every trade. We can't sign anyone. We have massive cap problems. And we cheat by have a tax free state.

Welcome Aboard.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
its-done-5b1a3a.jpg

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Former sens fan coming in peace, TBL was my 2nd favorite team for a while now, and have now become team #1, what do I need to know ?
Well we're reeling a bit too with Yzerman stepping down. I'd say the biggest thing is a) it's okay to shit on Stamkos here, and b) it's not okay to shit on Hedman.

To the topic at hand - this is the second best-case scenario for us I think. SJ doesn't really have a team that's poised to contend long-term. This could be a pure rental situation. Also, in an odd way I don't think EK makes them *that* much better. You already had Burns doing to the rover thing on the blueline. So pairing EK with Vlasic - do you use them as a shutdown pair? Eh - that's not really EK's game. And it's an old team, so it's *possible* he still goes to FA. Also, he's out West.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
We're never going to be able to sign anyone because lol cap and when we do sign someone, it's only because of the tax advantage.

The fan base is kind of split into overly optimistic and overly pessimistic. Not much in between, so you'll have to pick a side.

Our fans are obnoxious and cocky according to other posters.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Melnyk actively going the Vancouver Grizzlies route. Destroy the team to the point the fans hate them, stop going to games, say the city doesn't support the team, all so they can relocate.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

You need to know we would very much like to have landed Karlsson, and it seems your owner screwed us by nixing a deal in July. So we have that in common.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad