Proposal: Erik Karlsson to WPG

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Scheifele will never ever ever be traded. He is the Winnipeg Jets. He will be the next captain, coach, gm, owner, commissioner, prime minister. Not necessarily in that order.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
99% guaranteed that we are on his no-trade list and this is the wrong time to make a major change like this. Trading for Karlsson would be very expensive. Contract status makes the cost of that trade impossible to be the right value for both teams.
Karlsson may be moved from the Sens but I think the Jets would be one of the LAST teams that should be considered a landing spot for him.

He's a really great player but the cost and timing are off.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
lets not under sell Wheeler here guy is a beast.

I would Wanter Wheeler + Connor + 1st + Top Prospect. for EK.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

wheeler is amazing but if Ottawa trades ek I feel like they are going to rebuild. Wheeler wouldn’t be hard to flip again just seems like a weird choice

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Why is this still open? It is pretty clear Jets will not pay what Ottawa demands. Ottawa can sit and scream for Laine, Scheiff or whatever, you wont get em..

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Nope, zero interest in 1.5 years of EK.....wouldn't even consider that trade for a second. Easy & fast no from the Jets.

Reactions: Huffer

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Why is this still open? It is pretty clear Jets will not pay what Ottawa demands. Ottawa can sit and scream for Laine, Scheiff or whatever, you wont get em..

Exactly, go sell off EK to someone else. We're not paying any of these asking prices or even close to them for 1.5 yrs of EK. Based on EK comments recently, his next contract is all about getting the most money he can so highly unlikely we would be interested in him even with his new contract which sounds like it going to be stupid big contract.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
If the money would work I'd love this deal. But the Jets will soon need to have Laine, Wheeler, Morrissey and Helly on new contracts that won't come cheap. I'm thinking 25-32 million just to keep those 4.

If only the Jets could spend like the 1995 Rangers...

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Based on what an awful trade the Sens did to acquire Duchene, why do Sens fans suddenly think their GM would become an extremely shrewd trader that can hoodwink Chevy?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Would Laine for Karlsson work with no adds on either side? Winnipeg fans wont like it, but curious what Ottawa fans think.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
str8 dreaming if you think Karlsson would return Laine ,

Laine> Karlsson VALUE YOU WISE ONLY .

Laine the next patty kane , team controlled for the next 8 years .

Karlsson , TOP 3 D in the league , Just got off injury , Has a had bad start to the season . Speculated to not want to play in OTTAWA , Might walk for free , 1.5 Left on contract before UFA

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter368

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Would Laine for Karlsson work with no adds on either side? Winnipeg fans wont like it, but curious what Ottawa fans think.

Why would the Jets give up a budding 19 yr old super star on his ELC for a 27 yr old super star who is 1.5 yrs away from UFA and coming off major surgery and recently stated his opinion that he will not be giving any discounts on his next contract so he's going to rake who ever over the coals to get what he wants. So if you think of trading for EK before he has a new contract and think he's going to agree to a new contract in good faith or some kind of loyality to you in 1.5 yrs your naïve. He's going for max dollars, no interest in him now......highly doubt any interest once he gets his max dollar contract. Giving up Laine for EK now is crazy talk, Chevy should be fired the day he makes that trade.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Here's what I said on the Jets board....

The return for Trouba is not likely to be anything we are overly happy with unless we get lucky. I have always said teams dealing from a position of weakness often don't come out of a trade as the winner. We got lucky with Kane. We were dealing from a point of weakness but managed to be in the position that a team wanted to tank for McDavid and Kane was out for the season. So they gave up a 1st, two prospects, Stafford and Myers. Had Kane not been out for the rest of the season I wonder if Buffalo still makes that deal. Unlikely given they wanted to outright tank and having Kane on the roster would have made that harder to do. The timing couldn't have been any better for us.

Trouba in some sort of deal for Karlsson could make sense as both teams are at a disadvantage trading them to pretty much any other team. No team is likely to give us a straight across Dman trade for Trouba and Karlsson is one of the best in the league but the # of teams that can both afford him and give up a young roster defencemen are very limited. We make excellent partner provided the landing spots are ideal for both players.Trouba does hold an advantage in the fact that he could say he will not sign a long term deal with the team we would trade him too. A deal in the summer makes more sense as we could talk to EK about an extension then and Ottawa could talk to Trouba about an extension. The reason I see Ottawa as being somewhat favourable to Trouba is he will be the clear cut 1D on the ride side in Ottawa, he is closer to his family in Michigan and will visit Detroit more often during the season. He will also play Tampa and Florida in their barn more as well so he'd be in Florida more often. Otherwise I think any deal for Trouba is likely only going to net us futures. We also take the risk of someone offer sheeting Trouba in the summer but based on his demands likely at minimum $6 mil a season I can't see him signing as we would probably match it. It's likely to be in the neighborhood of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder for the 2019 draft if we don't match. There is also the option of arbitration but that gets messy and everyone likely wants to avoid that.

At this point I don't see many options outside of Karlsson for a Trouba trade that doesn't involve futures or forwards. And unlikely to be a top 6 Center from anyone.

Both teams I think are at a disadvantage trading either player anywhere else. Trouba can replace Karlsson's cap hit, obviously not his play but how many teams are going to give them a replacement on the right side as good as Trouba? The only other major point is what more does the Peg give up?

Karlsson for Trouba, 2019 1st, Petan, Dano, Stanley after July 1st and with handshake extensions in place?

It's definitely not the package one would want for Karlsson but when dealing from a point of weakness I don't see it being much better as far as replacing Karlsson on the roster. Obviously other teams will offer much better futures packages though. Guess it depends on which direction Sens management wants to go.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Why would the Jets give up a budding 19 yr old super star on his ELC for a 27 yr old super star who is 1.5 yrs away from UFA and coming off major surgery and recently stated his opinion that he will not be giving any discounts on his next contract so he's going to rake who ever over the coals to get what he wants. So if you think of trading for EK before he has a new contract and think he's going to agree to a new contract in good faith or some kind of loyality to you in 1.5 yrs your naïve. He's going for max dollars, no interest in him now......highly doubt any interest once he gets his max dollar contract. Giving up Laine for EK now is crazy talk, Chevy should be fired the day he makes that trade.

Agreed, it's nonsense.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Here's what I said on the Jets board....

The return for Trouba is not likely to be anything we are overly happy with unless we get lucky. I have always said teams dealing from a position of weakness often don't come out of a trade as the winner. We got lucky with Kane. We were dealing from a point of weakness but managed to be in the position that a team wanted to tank for McDavid and Kane was out for the season. So they gave up a 1st, two prospects, Stafford and Myers. Had Kane not been out for the rest of the season I wonder if Buffalo still makes that deal. Unlikely given they wanted to outright tank and having Kane on the roster would have made that harder to do. The timing couldn't have been any better for us.

Trouba in some sort of deal for Karlsson could make sense as both teams are at a disadvantage trading them to pretty much any other team. No team is likely to give us a straight across Dman trade for Trouba and Karlsson is one of the best in the league but the # of teams that can both afford him and give up a young roster defencemen are very limited. We make excellent partner provided the landing spots are ideal for both players.Trouba does hold an advantage in the fact that he could say he will not sign a long term deal with the team we would trade him too. A deal in the summer makes more sense as we could talk to EK about an extension then and Ottawa could talk to Trouba about an extension. The reason I see Ottawa as being somewhat favourable to Trouba is he will be the clear cut 1D on the ride side in Ottawa, he is closer to his family in Michigan and will visit Detroit more often during the season. He will also play Tampa and Florida in their barn more as well so he'd be in Florida more often. Otherwise I think any deal for Trouba is likely only going to net us futures. We also take the risk of someone offer sheeting Trouba in the summer but based on his demands likely at minimum $6 mil a season I can't see him signing as we would probably match it. It's likely to be in the neighborhood of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder for the 2019 draft if we don't match. There is also the option of arbitration but that gets messy and everyone likely wants to avoid that.

At this point I don't see many options outside of Karlsson for a Trouba trade that doesn't involve futures or forwards. And unlikely to be a top 6 Center from anyone.

Both teams I think are at a disadvantage trading either player anywhere else. Trouba can replace Karlsson's cap hit, obviously not his play but how many teams are going to give them a replacement on the right side as good as Trouba? The only other major point is what more does the Peg give up?

Karlsson for Trouba, 2019 1st, Petan, Dano, Stanley after July 1st and with handshake extensions in place?

It's definitely not the package one would want for Karlsson but when dealing from a point of weakness I don't see it being much better as far as replacing Karlsson on the roster. Obviously other teams will offer much better futures packages though. Guess it depends on which direction Sens management wants to go.

I think you are overvaluing Trouba here.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think you are overvaluing Trouba here.

Oh for sure he's not even close to Karlsson but that's the point. I wouldn't offer anything close in value for Karlsson. I'm not doing the Sens any favours and I feel like most GM's will feel the same way.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Oh for sure he's not even close to Karlsson but that's the point. I wouldn't offer anything close in value for Karlsson. I'm not doing the Sens any favours and I feel like most GM's will feel the same way.

I guess the question is would you rather give up Trouba+good assets and pay Karlsson in 1.5 years 10 million a season, or keep Trouba and the assets and pay him 7 million a season. Personally, I'd rather take a run at the cup - a core of Karlsson, Scheifele, Laine and Morrissey is probably a contender for a long time, and the Jets have quality ELCs coming soon.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I guess the question is would you rather give up Trouba+good assets and pay Karlsson in 1.5 years 10 million a season, or keep Trouba and the assets and pay him 7 million a season. Personally, I'd rather take a run at the cup - a core of Karlsson, Scheifele, Laine and Morrissey is probably a contender for a long time, and the Jets have quality ELCs coming soon.

I'd prefer to wait until the summer when we could negotiate with Karlsson before trading for him on an extension and move Buff. Karlsson and Laine on the PP would be scary.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
They won't even deal Myers+1st for him apparently, not sure why they would pay this. I'd say he's worth it tho.

Please show us the post where a well known or any Jets fan stated that. Should be easy for you to find considering you’re stating it here.

You were roasted in this thread by multi posters for not reading posts and yet you still repeat yourself with false statements.

Do I need to quote the posts again and embarrass you further?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4