Proposal: Erik Karlsson to WPG

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I'd prefer to wait until the summer when we could negotiate with Karlsson before trading for him on an extension and move Buff. Karlsson and Laine on the PP would be scary.

Yes it would. I don’t see the Jets giving up Laine or Scheif under any circumstances but Ehlers or some combination of Connor and other top quality assets would be enticing. Buff would have to go but I think he needs to go regardless.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'd prefer to wait until the summer when we could negotiate with Karlsson before trading for him on an extension and move Buff. Karlsson and Laine on the PP would be scary.

Anything we would be required to trade to get him now we wouldn’t get back later if he refused to sign or asked for the moon. There are no secrets in the nhl with superstars. We would be lucky to .75 cents on the dollar and possibly only get .50 cents. Not to mention if we traded Trouba+ to get him now, then he refuses to sign after July so we trade EK away to recover some of our loses.....we aren’t getting a Trouba back never mind the plus. So now we lost Trouba & EK and no control what misc pieces we get back and we’re under the gun to trade EK.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Why would the Jets give up a budding 19 yr old super star on his ELC for a 27 yr old super star who is 1.5 yrs away from UFA and coming off major surgery and recently stated his opinion that he will not be giving any discounts on his next contract so he's going to rake who ever over the coals to get what he wants. So if you think of trading for EK before he has a new contract and think he's going to agree to a new contract in good faith or some kind of loyality to you in 1.5 yrs your naïve. He's going for max dollars, no interest in him now......highly doubt any interest once he gets his max dollar contract. Giving up Laine for EK now is crazy talk, Chevy should be fired the day he makes that trade.
100% my thought. I'd love to have EK but not as a rental unless the price is reasonable, and that I'm not seeing in any of these posts. Time out!

Reactions: Hunter368

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Anything we would be required to trade to get him now we wouldn’t get back later if he refused to sign or asked for the moon. There are no secrets in the nhl with superstars. We would be lucky to .75 cents on the dollar and possibly only get .50 cents. Not to mention if we traded Trouba+ to get him now, then he refuses to sign after July so we trade EK away to recover some of our loses.....we aren’t getting a Trouba back never mind the plus. So now we lost Trouba & EK and no control what misc pieces we get back and we’re under the gun to trade EK.

Did you not read my post? I said you trade for him in the summer.. you know after July 1st...when you can negotiate a full extension with him before acquiring him... you'd know exactly what his demands will be before he even puts on a jersey.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
100% my thought. I'd love to have EK but not as a rental unless the price is reasonable, and that I'm not seeing in any of these posts. Time out!

Is anyone actually reading my posts?

You acquire him after July 1st, 2018. At that time you've already talked to Karlsson and his agents about a full extension. There is no rental because he comes with 1 full year at his current price and how ever many extra years you extend him for. In theory you could potentially have 9 years of Karlsson taking him to 36 years old. Why is no one grasping this concept? As part of the trade deal you already have an extension worked out.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Did you not read my post? I said you trade for him in the summer.. you know after July 1st...when you can negotiate a full extension with him before acquiring him... you'd know exactly what his demands will be before he even puts on a jersey.

I was responding to your jets forum chat.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
2/3rds of our top line, our 1st and our best prospect.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard pass.

EK is amazing. He's not getting that kind of haul for 1.5 years of service.

That's not a hard pass. Our team would be worse now, and much worse after next season when EK walks.

These Sens fans are out to lunch with what they think EK is worth.

You'd think they were trading McDavid or Matthews...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Every offer I've made for EK is prefaced by you don't trade for him until the summer when you can negotiate an extension prior to acquiring him.

If he is signed then the acquisition cost goes up even higher. I don't think there is any way he could be worth what it would cost to get him plus his paycheque.

Having him would be nice in a fantasy but the cost to get him would just be too high.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If he is signed then the acquisition cost goes up even higher. I don't think there is any way he could be worth what it would cost to get him plus his paycheque.

Having him would be nice in a fantasy but the cost to get him would just be too high.

You make your offer and you wait and see. This is all under the assumption Trouba wants out and Ottawa is potentially on his radar. Then its up to whether the Sens want pure futures which is likely everyone elses offer or if they want a young defencemen who will be similar in cost to what Karlsson is now. Only other team I could see offering up a young cost controlled dman might be Calgary with Hamilton. Ottawa can attempt to drive the price up but you stand pat and say take it or leave it. If they leave it so be it.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
2/3rds of our top line, our 1st and our best prospect.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard pass.

EK is amazing. He's not getting that kind of haul for 1.5 years of service.

This is why we need some ground rules for these hypothetical trade threads. Lets assume that EK is signed to a long term contract, that way we can do away with comments like "too much for 1.5 years of service". Remember folks, we are playing armchair GM having a bit a fun.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
No one will gut their team for 1.5 years of Karlsson. If the Sens get full value for Karlsson, more power to them but don't see it happening. And asking for Laine, forget about it lol..

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Agreed

Filling a need by creating another need/hole just as critical isn’t logical or progress.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Trouba
Ehlers
1st

For karlsson

I can't see us trading one of our top guys while we are on our run.

Not to mention the fact that Laine and Ehlers are best friends. Don't want to kill that dynamic.

Honestly, most you'd probably get is Trouba + 1st + something less that a 1st.

I completely understand if that is not enough but there's zero chance we start gutting our team for 1.5 years of Karlsson.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
and because it is a horrendous trade offer that Ottawa would laughably reject

2018 1st Round Pick
Jacob Trouba
Jack Roslovic
Nicolas Petan

Is a damn fine offer.

The 1st is a 1st
Trouba still has the potential to be a true #1
Roslovic is still a blue chipper.
Petan is Petan.....some value.

A 1st, a damn good young D, and a blue chip prospect. What more are you expecting to get LOL.

I would be pissed if we did this.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Zero...ZERO interest in any of the proposals made by Jets fans.

Clearly not gonna happen and also a team likely on Karlssons no trade list.

Thread/

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Trouba
Ehlers
1st

For karlsson
I can't see us trading one of our top guys while we are on our run.

Not to mention the fact that Laine and Ehlers are best friends. Don't want to kill that dynamic.

Honestly, most you'd probably get is Trouba + 1st + something less that a 1st.

I completely understand if that is not enough but there's zero chance we start gutting our team for 1.5 years of Karlsson.
2018 1st Round Pick
Jacob Trouba
Jack Roslovic
Nicolas Petan

Is a damn fine offer.

The 1st is a 1st
Trouba still has the potential to be a true #1
Roslovic is still a blue chipper.
Petan is Petan.....some value.

A 1st, a damn good young D, and a blue chip prospect. What more are you expecting to get LOL.

I would be pissed if we did this.

Nope to them all, 1.5 years of EK isn’t worth anything close that to the Jets. All this EK talk is so silly, completely unrealistic expectations on returns on him, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00