Proposal: Erik Karlsson to WPG

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Alright, I don't like making proposals, but I'ma try one here.

:jets
2018 1st Round Pick
Jacob Trouba
Jack Roslovic
Nicolas Petan

:sens
Erik Karlsson
Alexandre Burrows (500k retained)

Jets perspective- Jets going all-in and get a massive improvement to their d-core. Although, it costs them Roslovic, they already have Schieffle, and Little signed long-term as their #1, and #2 centers, and come on, you get freaking Erik Karlsson, so I think it's okay to move one of your Top Prospects for possibly the best defender in the NHL. Also, just adding Burrows for some depth is never too bad, and he only has 2 years. If he's awful with Winnipeg, just buy him out.

Sens perspective- I mean if you wanna tank, this is the deal to make. You get a solid defender in Trouba who could end up being your best defender, and maybe sign a nice long-term contract with ya. A 1st Round pick, which will probably end up being in the 20-31 range, and this is a deep draft with plenty of talent through the 1st Round. Roslovic is killing it in the AHL, and looks like one of the best prospects not currently playing in the NHL. Also, Colin White, Logan Brown, and Jack Roslovic down the middle for the future looks pretty good if they can play to their potential. Lastly, Petan just another prospect who you can call up and see how he does in the NHL.

So am I under-valuing Karlsson, or am I over-valuing him? I mean it's basically 3 1st Round picks, and a 2nd rounder for Karlsson if you want to look at it from that perspective. I mean, I could add a 2019 1st since Karlsson has 2 years on his contract, but idk I'm not good at proposals. Also maybe replace Petan with Logan Stanley? Idk.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The problem I see as a Jets fan is we are going to have to sign Laine to a 10 or 11 Million dollar contract next season so we cannot afford to give Karlsson what he says he deserves.

This makes Karlsson just a rental and its too much to give up for a rental.

From Ottawa's perspective, the general feeling here is Trouba wants to play in a US market so he would not be a long term solution for the Sens either.

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
Actually looks pretty fair to me. One of the better proposals. Ottawa gets a good defender back and a very good prospect plus a pick in a good draft. Put Chabot and Trouba together and that’s a good pairing going forward

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
The problem I see as a Jets fan is we are going to have to sign Laine to a 10 or 11 Million dollar contract next season so we cannot afford to give Karlsson what he says he deserves.

From Ottawa's perspective, the general feeling here is Trouba wants to play in a US market so he would not be a long term solution for the Sens either.
He'll get 6 mil AAV. Quote me when it's done.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
It's going to need to hurt more than this. There needs to be a feeling of getting punched in the gut over who you gave up.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No thx as a Jets fan, very good player but the asking prices being thrown out in this thread are too high.

jetsjetsjets

Jan 11, 2016
Ottawa laughs at this proposal. One of Wheeler Schiefley or Laine going back would pretty much be a minimum here

1. Wheeler is 31 and will be 33 when he starts a new contract. He's a great player, but I highly doubt the Sens would want him as the main piece. I would gladly make that trade which leads me to believe it's lopsided.

2. How hard is it to look up how to spell Scheifele? Also, he's off the table because we would have no top line center and a logjam at right D. I see him as the only player on the Jets that we would not trade unless it was for a 1C clearly better than him.

3. Laine could be traded if it was for one of, if not the best D in the world.

I've seen worse offers and I don't think this is totally fleecing the Sens. But I agree that whatever team gets Karlsson will probably lose a lot. The offer as it stands doesn't hurt the Jets in any way.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
1. Wheeler is 31 and will be 33 when he starts a new contract. He's a great player, but I highly doubt the Sens would want him as the main piece. I would gladly make that trade which leads me to believe it's lopsided.

2. How hard is it to look up how to spell Scheifele? Also, he's off the table because we would have no top line center and a logjam at right D. I see him as the only player on the Jets that we would not trade unless it was for a 1C clearly better than him.

I've seen worse offers and I don't think this is totally fleecing the Sens. But I agree that whatever team gets Karlsson will probably lose a lot. The offer as it stands doesn't hurt the Jets in any way.

The fact that it doesnt hurt the Jets means it is not a good offer. The 1st round pick will be a late pick so that has limited value and Petan really doesnt offer anything that we couldnt find either in our system, or part of a trade that didnt involve one of the best players in the game.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

id be very surprised if Laine got that much this year. He has not played that well this year (although still leading the team in goals)...I think he can get a 10M AAV in a couple years when he has a more well rounded game and potting 40+. But idk jack shit so

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
As a Jets fan, I'd imagine that nothing happens without Laine being involved.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The asking price is way too high for me to stomach as a Jets fan. Especially when it looks like Karlsson is having a real tough time recovering from his surgery. I would hope the Jets keep out of these sweepstakes, unless the price dropped to something we couldn't refuse.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As a Jets fan, I'd imagine that nothing happens without Laine being involved.

Trading Laine for a much older D doesn’t make any sense for the Jets, regardless how good that D is. Plus EK contract status makes any trade talks is a non starter regardless of the asking price.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

For how Laine has been playing this season... he's not worth 10 or 11 million to be honest

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Not a trade worth pursuing since we cannot extend him right now and the cost is too high for a 1.5 year rental that isn’t looking too hot after his surgery.

A discussion for offseason.

jetsjetsjets

Jan 11, 2016
The fact that it doesnt hurt the Jets means it is not a good offer. The 1st round pick will be a late pick so that has limited value and Petan really doesnt offer anything that we couldnt find either in our system, or part of a trade that didnt involve one of the best players in the game.

You only mentioned the two items of lesser value and in no way was I saying the trade would be made as-is. The reason the trade doesn't hurt us is:

1. I'm satisfied with our current top 6 and think we can lose a Roslovic type player
2. We're getting a better RD to replace Trouba
3. We can afford to give up 1st round picks at this point

GM's look at what benefits their team the most, not what hurts the other team. Also, these aren't players I want to trade, losing them just wouldn't ruin our future. If the Sens are looking to get a 1C for Karlsson, I don't see a trade working. If they want any mix of a top line winger (Ehlers/Laine/Wheeler), top pairing RD, first round pick, or prospect there can be a deal made.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Laine and 2018 1st and Roslovic for Karrlsson and 2019 6th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad