Proposal: Erik Karlsson to WPG

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
My point was 1.5 yrs of EK before UFA doesn't get a top 10 C like Mark who is signed for 8 yrs at a extremely good contract. So my point still stands.

Could EK land a top 10 C with a similar contract status & age as EK? Yes of course, but that's not was being debated.

But the 2nd point is and should be debated as that is the realistic scenario - separating them is irrational. However, I do believe the unrealistic scenario where "pure rental Karlsson" is moved he is still worth a legit #1 - just without additions.

there is NO realistic scenario where Karl is traded as a pure rental. NONE. You either trade the big assets confident you will sign him, or you trade the big assets with a contract in place.

He is not getting these shit returns being thrown around if he is traded tomorrow or next year. In all scenarios Kalrsson is worth elite top end players - I get Schiefele is not available - but a young top end center is still completely fair value in any scenario

Last edited:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
But the 2nd point is and should be debated as that is the realistic scenario - separating them is irrational. However, I do believe the unrealistic scenario where "pure rental Karlsson" is moved he is still worth a legit #1 - just without additions.
You honestly think 1.5 years of Karlsson is worth 7 years of Scheifele at 6m? Delusional :laugh:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As much as Ottawa fans want to get massive returns for Karlsson, you have to realize other teams have their own needs.

Giving up Schiefele or Laine for Karlsson does little for the Jets. It's disrupting their core to make a lateral move to just clog up the right side of their defense.

The only way I could see this getting done is a deal centered around Trouba + Connor

Jets likely don't want to move Connor, but you have to give to get. Don't think Roslovic/Petan is enough to tip the scales for OTT.

There is no possible deal of anything of value imo without EK having a new deal done or a verbal agreement of one. Trading major pieces like Trouba & Connor for a 1.5 yr rental who then walks for free is a quick way for a GM to get fired and set back a franchise 3-5 years.

Reactions: Snowman

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
There is no possible deal of anything of value imo without EK having a new done or a verbal agreement of one. Trading major pieces like Trouba & Connor for a 1.5 yr rental who then walks for free is a quick way for a GM to get fired and set back a franchise 3-5 years.

acquiring Trouba+Connor would be a crap return for Karlsson if he was traded tomorrow - that is what you are not getting. THAT would get our GM fired.

deals like this are so ealiy out bid its silly to discuss. So separate rental vs signed all you want to get a deal more favourable to your team on a message board - it is completely and utterly unrealistic. If Karl is traded - its gonna be a massive return - thats the reality.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
acquiring Trouba+Connor would be a crap return for Karlsson if he was traded tomorrow - that is what you are not getting. THAT would get our GM fired.

Trading those assets to have EK walk for free in 1.5 yrs gets Chevy fired and sets the franchise back 3-5 years. No thx, go away with these EK deals. Call us when he signs a new deal until then Chevy blocks the Sens number.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
You honestly think 1.5 years of Karlsson is worth 7 years of Scheifele at 6m? Delusional :laugh:

well give me 10 other centerman you think are "close to Scheifele" because as you suggest he cannot return any player close to him

I think there is zero percent chance Scheifele is traded, so no I would never expect him in return if that answers your question.

you think Karl is worth Trouba+ hahaa you cant say shit

Last edited:

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Trading those assets to have EK walk for free in 1.5 yrs gets Chevy fired and sets the franchise back 3-5 years. No thx, go away with these EK deals. Call us when he signs a new deal until then Chevy blocks the Sens number.

Again that is a completely unrealistic scenario

trading Ek for a return that could easily be out bid would set our franchise back 3-5 years.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

we all should be of the understanding that the proposals on here should be for a Karlsson that has agreed to sign long term with his new team. if he's a year and a half rental then the return would be much less.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Again that is a completely unrealistic scenario

trading Ek for a return that could easily be out bid would set our franchise back 3-5 years.

Great, we agree then go away with any delusions of EK being traded to the Jets.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There is no possible deal of anything of value imo without EK having a new deal done or a verbal agreement of one. Trading major pieces like Trouba & Connor for a 1.5 yr rental who then walks for free is a quick way for a GM to get fired and set back a franchise 3-5 years.

It's hard to see, but it depends on the team. For example, the Devils offering Severson + Zacha + 2018 1st ++ could still be made now. As long as those plusses don't include a few guys important to the Devils future, they may be able to do that trade, try to win in the 1.5 years they have Karlsson, and worry about signing him later. Leafs may consider the same with Marner or Nylander being the centerpiece of a deal.

With Karlsson wanting to get paid handsomely, I honestly think they may be better off trading him now to a team as a 1.5 year rental. I would think there is more teams that would pay for that than teams that would be able to pay full price for him and extend him to 8 years 10+ million.

It's really a ballsy move. You would need a deep organization with young talent that can replace the young talent you would have to trade. Plus you would need a team with faith in their young prospect and more importantly their scouting staff.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
we all should be of the understanding that the proposals on here should be for a Karlsson that has agreed to sign long term with his new team. if he's a year and a half rental then the return would be much less.

Agreed any return on EK with no new contract would be less which multi of us have said.....only one poster doesn’t get that point.

EK value with a new contract would vary significantly depending on the new contract. We’ve all heard wild rumours on what it could be.....if we assume a 8 yr deal. Depends on the cap hit per year.....if he’s in the 12-13 million range then I would have zero interest in him. If he gets 9-10 million then that’s workable in our cap.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I don't understand why Sens fans can't understand us.
We're not willing to pay what you think EK65 is worth. There is zero chance he'll pull Scheifele from the Jets.
Please go peddle EK somewhere else.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Laine and 2018 1st and Roslovic for Karrlsson and 2019 6th
Hahahaha. Get this garbage out of here.

Just so everyone knows: A few clicks of a button shows here's a salty Canucks fan who is clearly upset that their idiot management didn't pick Ehlers and that they couldn't get one of Laine/Matthews in the draft.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Not with what Sens fans want in return. If the Jets gave them what they want for EK, we'd likely be decreasing our chances of getting to the finals.

Agreed

Plus if EK walks for free in 1.5 yrs we would become a bottom 5 team after losing all those assets to get him and then EK to ufa.

Reactions: Huffer and Snowman

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Not with what Sens fans want in return. If the Jets gave them what they want for EK, we'd likely be decreasing our chances of getting to the finals.

is this comment based on what the Op is asking? and are you talking rental?
2018 1st Round Pick
Jacob Trouba
Jack Roslovic
Nicolas Petan

EK is a huge upgrade over Trouba , petan is a non factor, Roslovic would be the only part that would suck to part with.

EK would increase our chances of getting to the finals this season and next as a rental dramatically. imo.

guarantee this trade would never happen though and there is a huge probability Winnipeg is on his no trade list.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Hahahaha. Get this garbage out of here.

Just so everyone knows: A few clicks of a button shows here's a salty Canucks fan who is clearly upset that their idiot management didn't pick Ehlers and that they couldn't get one of Laine/Matthews in the draft.
Probably still POed that they no longer have Zinger & the Moose supplying them with gems Zinger found & the Moose developed.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
2018 1st Round Pick
Jacob Trouba
Jack Roslovic
Nicolas Petan

EK is a huge upgrade over Trouba , petan is a non factor, Roslovic would be the only part that would suck to part with.

EK would increase our chances of getting to the finals this season and next as a rental dramatically. imo.

guarantee this trade would never happen though and there is a huge probability Winnipeg is on his no trade list.
Of course he's talking rental. Doughty & Karlson both seem to want to be the highest paid D in the league.
Is a $10 x 8 EK @ 29 (age the new contract kicks in) really that much better than Trouba @ 25 (his when re-signed).
Currently by offensive #s only Karlsson looks great but the Jets have enough firepower not to need the extra from the back end @ the cost of fewer goals prevented.
I guess it depends on whether you want offense from the D or expect them to play defense.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
2018 1st Round Pick
Jacob Trouba
Jack Roslovic
Nicolas Petan

Actually my response was commenting more on what Sens fans want in later posts since most are saying the OP isn't close.

Plus, a lot of people are valuing the Karlsson of last year and it appears he is not the same player. There is no way I would deal the pieces Ottawa wants with how EK has looked since his surgery.

I know on HF boards people tend to have a "the grass is always greener" attitude, but making a trade just because we want to say "EK plays for us" and ignoring current play and contract situation is a sure way to sink in the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->