Erik Karlsson (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
He's had almost a complete year off to rehab everything, and still came back looking shattered. Dude is done.
I know. I'm just desperate. The only brightside to this is maybe he decides to retire before his contract is up or we can LTIR him at some point. But I suspect that we are stuck with it at the very least for the next couple seasons.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I agree, but the issue we are in occurs when you mortgage too much of the future and and don’t develop a young pool of talent.

The Sharks don’t have a #1 C and most of their young talent are players that aren’t ready and might be 3rd-4th line NHL players.

I think the mortgaging might've been by design. They probably had a set budget and decided to skimp on the scouting/development part.

Either way, I agree - that aspect has been sorely lacking. When HF did the team prospect page, the Sharks' list was never impressive.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Did we ever find out of EK65 had Covid? I have a good friend in NY who says Zibanejad had covid right before the season and is a different player now. Looks lethargic and slow in his decision making.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
To be frank, you already had your mind made up before he even played and there was never any possibility of convincing you so your opinion isn't going to be taken seriously by most.
Well you are often wrong but never in doubt. I was ecstatic when I heard they signed Erik Karlsson. I saw the Norrises and the carefully marketed performance numbers and I assumed he was the best D in the league. But I never saw him play, just bought the hype. I'll bet it is the same for most of you. Of course it gave me pause that Debbie Dowdy and Burns also won Norrises after Karlsson's run. I figured that was just affirmative action for Canadian hockey players but it really provided informative calibration for what a Norris is worth. (To be fair, that was Burns' best season as a Shark.) No, I expected Karlsson to be a team savior when he got here and was appalled pretty fast actually watching him play; not his low initial point numbers and lack of goals - just watching him. There were all the excuses and rationalizations imaginable but the fact is, he just wasn't very good. There was a few week period where he didn't really contribute much except for an occasional nice pass and racking up the perfunctory secondary assists but he at least didn't stink up the barn as bad and Randy started calling him the best player in the league, which some of you evidently took seriously. By the end of that season it was clear that SJ had been fooled with pig in a poke (surprising because DW has beaucoup contacts in Ottawa) and all the lipstick in the world was not going to make it attractive. It was a worthwhile effort that had failed. No shame at all until they actually signed him for 8 more frikken years at one of the largest contracts in league history. At that point they had all the info they could ever need to know better and they did it anyway.

Reactions: PattyLafontaine

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Well you are often wrong but never in doubt. I was ecstatic when I heard they signed Erik Karlsson. I saw the Norrises and the carefully marketed performance numbers and I assumed he was the best D in the league. But I never saw him play, just bought the hype. I'll bet it is the same for most of you. Of course it gave me pause that Debbie Dowdy and Burns also won Norrises after Karlsson's run. I figured that was just affirmative action for Canadian hockey players but it really provided informative calibration for what a Norris is worth. (To be fair, that was Burns' best season as a Shark.) No, I expected Karlsson to be a team savior when he got here and was appalled pretty fast actually watching him play; not his low initial point numbers and lack of goals - just watching him. There were all the excuses and rationalizations imaginable but the fact is, he just wasn't very good. There was a few week period where he didn't really contribute much except for an occasional nice pass and racking up the perfunctory secondary assists but he at least didn't stink up the barn as bad and Randy started calling him the best player in the league, which some of you evidently took seriously. By the end of that season it was clear that SJ had been fooled with pig in a poke (surprising because DW has beaucoup contacts in Ottawa) and all the lipstick in the world was not going to make it attractive. It was a worthwhile effort that had failed. No shame at all until they actually signed him for 8 more frikken years at one of the largest contracts in league history. At that point they had all the info they could ever need to know better and they did it anyway.
:laugh:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Just throwing it out there but it could just be EK65's OTHER groin. It might also simply be a typical groin strain and not an adductor injury like before. I know this place is quick to jump straight to amputation but it's also possible he's just out a few games and then comes back fine. A groin injury definitely would explain his lack of burst recently though.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
If it’s really his groin that really sucks, and was exactly why I never wanted to re-sign him long term. You can recover and play after tearing muscles and ligaments, but unlike bone they never recover fully and are always susceptible to re-injury.

Oh well... too late now.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Just throwing it out there but it could just be EK65's OTHER groin. It might also simply be a typical groin strain and not an adductor injury like before. I know this place is quick to jump straight to amputation but it's also possible he's just out a few games and then comes back fine. A groin injury definitely would explain his lack of burst recently though.

Not a doctor but I don’t think chopping his groin off will help.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
If it’s really his groin that really sucks, and was exactly why I never wanted to re-sign him long term. You can recover and play after tearing muscles and ligaments, but unlike bone they never recover fully and are always susceptible to re-injury.

Oh well... too late now.
Except that's not true at all. Plenty of players have had that surgery to repair that injury and have come back without issue. Lot's of cornerbacks, WR, running backs.. and running and cutting in football is more jarring on your groin. More guys have the surgery in football than hockey. Nabby had it on both sides and came back to have some of his best seasons. There are a few who may never recover 100% but that isn't the norm. Speaking from my personal experience with the exact same injury and surgery, had it at around 40 years old and going on a decade without even a twinge of a recurrence while playing 3 to 4 times a week. It may depend on the individual as well. Some people are more naturally flexible and may have better outcomes. I was always someone who didn't really need to stretch all that much and could go full speed so maybe that was a factor. EK65 seems to be a guy who is also naturally flexible. Cheechoo? Not so much...:laugh:

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Except that's not true at all. Plenty of players have had that surgery to repair that injury and have come back without issue. Lot's of cornerbacks, WR, running backs.. and running and cutting in football is more jarring on your groin. More guys have the surgery in football than hockey. Nabby had it on both sides and came back to have some of his best seasons. There are a few who may never recover 100% but that isn't the norm. Speaking from my personal experience with the exact same injury and surgery, had it at around 40 years old and going on a decade without even a twinge of a recurrence while playing 3 to 4 times a week. It may depend on the individual as well. Some people are more naturally flexible and may have better outcomes. I was always someone who didn't really need to stretch all that much and could go full speed so maybe that was a factor. EK65 seems to be a guy who is also naturally flexible. Cheechoo? Not so much...:laugh:
But how many of those same players havent also had surgery to a repair a severed achilles?

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Hasso needs to LTIR him and then have him work an office job for like $1 a year at SAP during his LTIR.

Or make him a coach/player-coach. I feel that Karlsson could probably coach a better offense.
Whenever they zoom in on Boughner and Ricci discussing tactics on the bench, I just think "oh great, more of the same coming up".

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Hbt6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad