Erik Karlsson (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
This is getting juicy.

I am very thrilled that DW and Karlsson were at dinner together. Not many reasons why EK65 would do that, in my opinion.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The dinner thing is sort of a whatever for me. Doug making his pitch, offering him the contract, etc. He can still easily say no.

It can also be Doug trying to wine and dine him after his agent said no to Doug.

Or it could be both of them celebrating the signing.

It can sorta mean anything. It’s certainly not a bad thing. How expensive is the restaurant?

Reactions: Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The dinner thing is sort of a whatever for me. Doug making his pitch, offering him the contract, etc. He can still easily say no.

It can also be Doug trying to wine and dine him after his agent said no to Doug.

Or it could be both of them celebrating the signing.

It can sorta mean anything. It’s certainly not a bad thing. How expensive is the restaurant?

You local guys tell me. It's supposed to be Fleming's in Santa Clara.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
You local guys tell me. It's supposed to be Fleming's in Santa Clara.

Flemings is my favorite steakhouse in South Bay. Not quite as outlandish as Alexander's but I prefer Flemings. Its what I would call "normal expensive" for a higher-end steakhouse.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Flemings is my favorite steakhouse in South Bay. Not quite as outlandish as Alexander's but I prefer Flemings. Its what I would call "normal expensive" for a higher-end steakhouse.

Yeah, it's no Alexander's, but it's still like $60 for a steak at least at the Stanford location. House of Prime Rib price territory.
So your everyday meal for them. :laugh:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Karlsson was the best player in the first 4 games of that Blues series. Over the first 4 games, the Sharks scored 4 5-on-5 goals with Karlsson on the ice (2 of them were Karlsson's) and allowed 2. Yes, Karlsson scored as many goals as the entire Blues team did with him on the ice in over 80 minutes. Without him, they scored 5 and allowed 9. He assisted on every PP and 6-on-5 goal we scored and we did not get scored on with him on the PK.

I'm not generally one to blame injuries or puck luck for losses but the fact is that Karlsson's injury during game 4 in St. Louis was an extremely fortunate break for that Blues team and probably the biggest reason they won that series. At the time, the Sharks were up 2-1 in the series and down 2-1 in the game in a series that was dead even in goals. The Sharks were pressing extremely hard and had just scored on the PP with an assist from Karlsson. As I mentioned above, he was the best player in that series up to that point. I think they would have tied that game, lost game 5 at home, and then won the series in 6. But once Karlsson got hurt on that back-check and was relegated to bench door opener, it completely deflated the rest of the team emotionally and also pretty much ruined their ability to evade St. Louis' forecheck and make breakout passes.

I still hold DeBoer and a few other people accountable for their pathetic performance in that Blues series. The Sharks were playing a terrible brand of hockey throughout the entire playoffs and being carried by star players in almost all of their wins, and I largely place that on the coach. But I also do believe the Sharks would have overcome that and found a way to win the series just as they did against Vegas and Colorado if not for the Karlsson injury.

People are talking about Karlsson's injury as a "red flag". You know what the real red flag was? The way that the Sharks played in those final 2 games when he went down. They looked like the good guys in a hockey movie before they get good at hockey and the Blues forecheck looked like the bad guys.

Also, nobody should be calling Karlsson soft or questioning his commitment. He put everything out there for these playoffs and should be treated with respect regardless of his decision. I'm sure he saw the articles out there and he knew that playing through injury in these playoffs could potentially hurt his stock in unrestricted free agency but he played through so much pain and found a way to be a positive contributor up until game 5 when he truly was done but still gave it a go anyways. He could have absolutely decided to undergo a surgical procedure to end his season around February when he got re-injured against Boston and that wouldn't have hurt his market value nearly as much as playing in the playoffs did but he never once considered that. He made it very clear as soon as he got hurt that he was going to give it whatever he had in order to try and win a Stanley Cup and he did just that. There are valid criticisms of his performance and his injuries but his heart, grit, and dedication to the game is absolutely not one of them.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Karlsson was the best player in the first 4 games of that Blues series. Over the first 4 games, the Sharks scored 4 5-on-5 goals with Karlsson on the ice (2 of them were Karlsson's) and allowed 2. Yes, Karlsson scored as many goals as the entire Blues team did with him on the ice in over 80 minutes. Without him, they scored 5 and allowed 9. He assisted on every PP and 6-on-5 goal we scored and we did not get scored on with him on the PK.

I'm not generally one to blame injuries or puck luck for losses but the fact is that Karlsson's injury during game 4 in St. Louis was an extremely fortunate break for that Blues team and probably the biggest reason they won that series. At the time, the Sharks were up 2-1 in the series and down 2-1 in the game in a series that was dead even in goals. The Sharks were pressing extremely hard and had just scored on the PP with an assist from Karlsson. As I mentioned above, he was the best player in that series up to that point. I think they would have tied that game, lost game 5 at home, and then won the series in 6. But once Karlsson got hurt on that back-check and was relegated to bench door opener, it completely deflated the rest of the team emotionally and also pretty much ruined their ability to evade St. Louis' forecheck and make breakout passes.

I still hold DeBoer and a few other people accountable for their pathetic performance in that Blues series. The Sharks were playing a terrible brand of hockey throughout the entire playoffs and being carried by star players in almost all of their wins, and I largely place that on the coach. But I also do believe the Sharks would have overcome that and found a way to win the series just as they did against Vegas and Colorado if not for the Karlsson injury.

People are talking about Karlsson's injury as a "red flag". You know what the real red flag was? The way that the Sharks played in those final 2 games when he went down. They looked like the good guys in a hockey movie before they get good at hockey and the Blues forecheck looked like the bad guys.

Also, nobody should be calling Karlsson soft or questioning his commitment. He put everything out there for these playoffs and should be treated with respect regardless of his decision. I'm sure he saw the articles out there and he knew that playing through injury in these playoffs could potentially hurt his stock in unrestricted free agency but he played through so much pain and found a way to be a positive contributor up until game 5 when he truly was done but still gave it a go anyways. He could have absolutely decided to undergo a surgical procedure to end his season around February when he got re-injured against Boston and that wouldn't have hurt his market value nearly as much as playing in the playoffs did but he never once considered that. He made it very clear as soon as he got hurt that he was going to give it whatever he had in order to try and win a Stanley Cup and he did just that. There are valid criticisms of his performance and his injuries but his heart, grit, and dedication to the game is absolutely not one of them.

I don't frequent the main boards but someone here (don't remember whom) said that the Blues posters were saying that they beat us fair and square and they were the better team.

Sure, when you take out our #1C, #1D (arguably) and captain to the point where they don't/cant play in an elimination game, you better win.

Also, I am not sure why you think people here believe EK65 is soft. I have not come across any post which claims so.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't frequent the main boards but someone here (don't remember whom) said that the Blues posters were saying that they beat us fair and square and they were the better team.

Sure, when you take out our #1C, #1D (arguably) and captain to the point where they don't/cant play in an elimination game, you better win.

Also, I am not sure why you think people here believe EK65 is soft. I have not come across any post which claims so.

Every fan base is going to say that. If the Blues were missing O'Reilly, Pavelski, and Pietrangelo against us they would have fared no better and they know that.

I've seen the claims of Karlsson being soft here and there on this forum as well as the main boards - enough so that I feel it's worth addressing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Every fan base is going to say that. If the Blues were missing O'Reilly, Pavelski, and Pietrangelo against us they would have fared no better and they know that.

I've seen the claims of Karlsson being soft here and there on this forum as well as the main boards - enough so that I feel it's worth addressing.

Thats pretty idiotic if people are saying that. I mean the guy who played in all but 1 playoff game for us despite the fact that he needed to get surgery done right after is soft? I think people are going to say whatever the heck they want.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yeah, it's no Alexander's, but it's still like $60 for a steak at least at the Stanford location. House of Prime Rib price territory.
So your everyday meal for them. :laugh:

Okay, so he’s not wooing him or making a last ditch effort or he’d go all out, right?!

So, celebrating the signing. Print it... Kurz. I’ll be your source.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
After letting the season settle now, I'm all for signing Karlsson for 88x8. You work around it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
After letting the season settle now, I'm all for signing Karlsson for 88x8. You work around it.

I have seen some people (outside our boards) and mainly on social media saying that is a massive overpayment.

Yeah, in a world where Skinner is getting 9M. Duchene and Panarin both likely to get upwards of 10M, how can you not pay a D-man like EK65 11M. The groin injury is a concern but he just got surgery and I am pretty sure the Sharks are well aware of the details around the injury and surgery but still comfortable offering that kind of money.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Karlsson even at 20% health that he was against the blues or even earlier, he was still a top 4 defensemen on every team in the league. He just was not karlsson good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad