Sportsnet: Erik Karlsson opens up about leaving Ottawa (Video)

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
They didn't offer him a full NMC?

That is an absolute joke.

"...yeah, we offered him a contract" sez Dorion. Sign without any NMC so you can trade him away anyway. Not a liar...technically. WTF u POS Dorion!

Ever since Morion burst onto the scene with his locker-room high 5s...and his garbled stupid comments...i knew we were doomed. But wtf... it's opening night...Go Sens!

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
"...yeah, we offered him a contract" sez Dorion. Sign without any NMC so you can trade him away anyway. Not a liar...technically. WTF u POS Dorion!

Ever since Morion burst onto the scene with his high 5 comments...and his garbled stupid comments...i knew we were doomed. But wtf... it's opening night...Go Sens!

Out of curiosity, do you support the idea of handing out contracts with AAVs in the 8 figures, with front loaded bonus money and NMC/NTC? It's 8 years and the guy will be 29 before his next contract even starts?

I'm not necessarily saying Karlsson doesn't deserve that type of contract. I'm just wondering if people are that cavalier with making a contract so goddamn bulletproof.

Looking for an honest and open discussion.

Reactions: DueDiligence

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Out of curiosity, do you support the idea of handing out contracts with AAVs in the 8 figures, with front loaded bonus money and NMC/NTC? It's 8 years and the guy will be 29 before his next contract even starts?

I'm not necessarily saying Karlsson doesn't deserve that type of contract. I'm just wondering if people are that cavalier with making a contract so goddamn bulletproof.

Looking for an honest and open discussion.
They know what it's going to take for Karlsson. The bar is set. There are no if's and's or buts. NMC is a given for players like Karlsson. Offering a guy like him a contract without one, when you spent the past 8 months trying to trade him no less, is completely moronic. They knew he wasn't going sign such a contract, it was only given for show (as anyone with a brain knew) to keep the terribly obvious charade going. Any other team would have been happy to sign him to that kind of contract, which is obvious as there are numerous teams much closer to the cap that want to get it done.

The organisation is a complete clown show in every facet of it's being.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Alfie was a great player. So is Karlsson. I'm not saying Karlsson was the sole issue but I am saying players on the team stopped following him for whatever reason.
Cuz they couldn’t
The guy played at Connie Smythe level while blocking 200+ shots the year before
He gave all he had and some for this franchise
But we probably need Boro to lead the pack

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Cuz they couldn’t
The guy played at Connie Smythe level while blocking 200+ shots the year before
He gave all he had and some for this franchise
But we probably need Boro to lead the pack

Borowiecki consistently puts himself out of position to miss hits, doesn't score, doesn't make plays, and only fights when he runs guys and they retaliate, never to defend a teammate. That's a leader.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Borowiecki consistently puts himself out of position to miss hits, doesn't score, doesn't make plays, and only fights when he runs guys and they retaliate, never to defend a teammate. That's a leader.

I knew something was wrong when we gave this ahler a 3 year one way contract before he had even played 25 NHL games.

And now he's the f***ing assistant captain while being one of the worst players in the NHL lol

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Hearing the girl singer doing anthems, it struck me...this cheapskate Meknyk bs goes way back.. to when The Constable got the boot (over $?). The Sens front office has no clue about building traditions & trust w fans.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Hearing the girl singer doing anthems, it struck me...this cheapskate Meknyk bs goes way back.. to when The Constable got the boot (over $?). The Sens front office has no clue about building traditions & trust w fans.

It was Slewidges fault duh, he was too greedy.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
A NMC in his extension would not have covered this season ........... unless he and his agent negotiated one as a condition of signing the extension.

A many times as EK65 said he wanted to remain an Ottawa Senator, he did very little this summer to make that happen.

The Sens made a contract extension, and EK65 and agent did not return to the bargaining table ......... pretty much writing his own ticket out of town in doing so.

So post all the quotes of EK65 telling everyone he loved being here, and wanted to stay ........ but keep in mind that actions speak louder that words.
Yawnnnnn..........

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
If he is prideful in any way, there is no way you return to someone who let you go in such an ugly manner.

Even if the owner was gone. If I am him, I go for a Stanley cup contender, and simply keep up with my charities in Ottawa and remaining an ambassador for them.

Someone prideful would just not return.
Hopefully, you practice what you preach.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
It was a real offer; Karlsson just wanted $88 million plus a NMC plus most of that money paid as bonuses. Yes he wanted to stay in Ottawa if he got everything he asked for. The team choose not to give him the latter two which is their prerogative.
It has zero to do with their perogative...

Reactions: BondraTime

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
If you are telling me Karlsson was innocent in the whole fiasco and he was an angel in the dressing room and everyone followed him passionately as our captain, I would say you are naive. Did he deserve to be traded? No. Was it good for the team? We are about to find out.
What are "you" saying?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The problem is Eugene, it really is that simple. We know this. From all the quotes and news stories out there, its pretty much established that the guy is just a douche with a Trump like ego and a terrible person to work for. For some reason he thinks he's qualified to make hockey ops decisions even though every time he speaks about it he sounds clueless. Even if this franchise swims in money after moving, Melnyk's personality will always be an issue for this franchise in some form.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad