Sportsnet: Erik Karlsson opens up about leaving Ottawa (Video)

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
What are "you" saying?

He would have been a distraction this year. Prior to camp, they were more focused on his fiasco with Hoffman, than hockey. Getting rid of him, clears the air and starts everything fresh, no drama.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
He would have been a distraction this year. Prior to camp, they were more focused on his fiasco with Hoffman, than hockey. Getting rid of him, clears the air and starts everything fresh, no drama.
That's your opinion. And your opinion doesn't stand as fact.

Reactions: bert

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
And your opinion doesn't stand as fact.

Karlsson being traded, was a hot button topic for a good portion of the year. Fact.

Karlsson's locker room drama with Hoffman, was highly publicized, and became a side show to Ottawa's season. It also caused a rift between Hoffman and Karlsson. Fact.

Several players spoke about the energy in the room. Fact.

The bulk of the media attention heading into this season, was whether Karlsson was getting traded, or updates on the drama with him and Hoffman. I'll let you have this one, as it being opinion, with regards to this being a distraction.

Perhaps players could have just drowned out the media noise all season, had he remained. Again. I'll leave that one as my opinion, and let anyone else judge for themselves.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Karlsson being traded, was a hot button topic for a good portion of the year. Fact.

Karlsson's locker room drama with Hoffman, was highly publicized, and became a side show to Ottawa's season. It also caused a rift between Hoffman and Karlsson. Fact.

The bulk of the media attention heading into this season, was whether Karlsson was getting traded, or updates on the drama with him and Hoffman. I'll let you have this one, as it being opinion, with regards to this being a distraction.

Perhaps players could have just drowned out the media noise all season, had he remained. Again. I'll leave that one as my opinion, and let anyone else judge for themselves.

The Hoffman-Karlsson confrontation didn't happen until after the deadline. The team was a lost cause well before then.

The person who caused the "distraction" was Pierre Dorion with his idiotic comments about being open to trading any player, because after all, Gretzky was traded. But for some reason, he's still here. He broke the locker room.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

I stopped reading after your first sentence. You're very good at picking bits and pieces of someone's post and show only that bit in your reply to make it all work for you.

Are you stuck in the CTC parking lot and finding time to write here?...

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
He broke the locker room.

I think to be quite honest, that there are more than one in that locker room, team and management that had to look at themselves in the mirror after last season. I really don't think it was a one person thing.

That absolves other factors that were equally responsible.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Well then, we have something in common.

With that said, I think Karlsson being traded with the optics surrounding him, were inevitable.
Yeah... we have absolutely nothing in common. Good attempt at insulting me.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
This video would have had much more impact if the owner of the San Jose Sharks had sat down between the ferns with Karlsson. Ottawa really outshone them with that one.

Reactions: BloodRedArmy

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Damn.

I think it’s pretty clear Karlsson wanted to stay in Ottawa and has hope the team can be sold in the next year. I don’t think there’s a good chance he re-signs in SJ at all.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Melnyck is probably the worst owner in the league, and Dorion is a clueless GM. However, Karlsson says nobody in the room knew about the drama, but then we got confirmation in that same video, that at least 3 different players knew and voiced their displeasure with the drama. In a situation like that, everyone, including Karlsson are to blame. Dorion should’ve got a much better return, that’s the real problem. Anyway, as a player, I’d never play for an owner like Melnyck. If anything, he should be thankful he got traded now and not later. Bottom line, Ottawa desperately needs a new owner. A good owner would have addressed and corrected any drama, rather than neglect it like Melnyck did.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Melnyck is probably the worst owner in the league, and Dorion is a clueless GM. However, Karlsson says nobody in the room knew about the drama, but then we got confirmation in that same video, that at least 3 different players knew and voiced their displeasure with the drama. In a situation like that, everyone, including Karlsson are to blame. Dorion should’ve got a much better return, that’s the real problem. Anyway, as a player, I’d never play for an owner like Melnyck. If anything, he should be thankful he got traded now and not later. Bottom line, Ottawa desperately needs a new owner. A good owner would have addressed and corrected any drama, rather than neglect it like Melnyck did.

The quotes were from this Aug, and not necessarily representative of how they felt during the season. Karlsson said nobody knew, but that could have meant and imo likely meant about the Karlsson's suspicion and eventual accusation that Caryk was the online bully.

Honestly, if the players knew that Hoffman's wife was being accused by their captain of all that crap, then so should have management and they would have traded him at the deadline, long before the media got a hold of it.

The most likely scenario imo is players and their wives knew there was friction between Karlsson and Hoffman's wives, but not the extent though and Karlsson kept the details to himself and that's what he was getting at in the interview.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The quotes were from this Aug, and not necessarily representative of how they felt during the season. Karlsson said nobody knew, but that could have meant and imo likely meant about the Karlsson's suspicion and eventual accusation that Caryk was the online bully.

Honestly, if the players knew that Hoffman's wife was being accused by their captain of all that crap, then so should have management and they would have traded him at the deadline, long before the media got a hold of it.

The most likely scenario imo is players and their wives knew there was friction between Karlsson and Hoffman's wives, but not the extent though and Karlsson kept the details to himself and that's what he was getting at in the interview.

and the merry go round has gone round and round on HF Sens

how many posts absolutely shit on Dorion for not knowing about the Hoffman Karlsson situation? all the armchair GMs on HF Sens that all knew better? but Karlsson says no one knew? really? surely there must be some guys on here embarrassed of their accusations and opinions on that subject?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
and the merry go round has gone round and round on HF Sens

how many posts absolutely **** on Dorion for not knowing about the Hoffman Karlsson situation? all the armchair GMs on HF Sens that all knew better? but Karlsson says no one knew? really? surely there must be some guys on here embarrassed of their accusations and opinions on that subject?
I think it's fair to say nobody knew the extent, which explains why Hoffman wasn't traded earlier, but was on the market. I also think it's fair game to criticize Karlsson for not being more open and explaining to management what was going on, though that has a "rat out your teammate" feel to it which i'd guess most athletes would be hesitant to do.

In the end you have two options, karlsson is being honest, and the extent of the conflict caught management by suprise, or karlsson is lying/lacking candor, and management is incompetent in their handling of the situation. Pick your poison, but even as somebody critical of Dorion's handling of many things this year or so, I do think he's so bad that he'd have been unable to move Hoffman at the deadline had he known of the extent.

Reactions: NorthCoast

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

What's with the alt account, Tuna99?

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
All I know is that I wish we would have got a chance to see Lajoie and EK play together, and it would have been nice to see EK on the 3 on 3. I’ll predict that if EK was in a Sens uniform last night they would have the W.

Reactions: billpo

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I think it’s pretty clear Karlsson wanted to stay in Ottawa

Two sides to every story. He also was adamant he was getting his worth.

Looking at similar impact players, his market value was in the 10 - 13 million dollar range per season.

If the rumored offers are true, then he likely could have been insulted by the offer.

Melnyk wasn't keeping this guy unless he fit in the budget. Karlsson knew it.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I’ll predict that if EK was in a Sens uniform last night they would have the W.

That's part of the growing pains of the youth movement.

Its learning that you can't coast with a goal lead against players like Toews, and Kane. Against any team, really.

There were tons of great opportunities missed, showcasing the lack of experience.

Once further chemistry is achieved, those easy tap ins become goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->