Sportsnet: Erik Karlsson opens up about leaving Ottawa (Video)

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Two sides to every story. He also was adamant he was getting his worth.

Looking at similar impact players, his market value was in the 10 - 13 million dollar range per season.

If the rumored offers are true, then he likely could have been insulted by the offer.

Melnyk wasn't keeping this guy unless he fit in the budget. Karlsson knew it.
Why would Karlsson take a discount after seeing the way things are run around here? I have no doubt in my mind he would be singing a different tune if we had a solid owner that didn't meddle in hockey operations and ran things properly.

Eugene does not have the finances to properly run an NHL team. If we can see he's a joke you can bet the rest of the players in the league know it too. Except Boro.

Reactions: Liliaceae

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There are many teams around the league who were/are perfectly happy to pay Erik Karlsson market value.

Just not his team.

So I don't consider his demands outrageous or anything. I just consider our ownership to be cheap.

Erik Karlsson's previous contract was extremely team friendly. I remember being ecstatic the day he signed it.

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018

Looking at similar impact players, his market value was in the 10 - 13 million dollar range per season.

If the rumored offers are true, then he likely could have been insulted by the offer.

So Melnyk should sell and own a ahl team

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Damn.

I think it’s pretty clear Karlsson wanted to stay in Ottawa and has hope the team can be sold in the next year. I don’t think there’s a good chance he re-signs in SJ at all.

IMO where Karlsson wants to resign will have a fair amount to do with where he and his wife want to live while Erik is playing hockey. If they even somewhat like it in San Jose vs risking signing in another location where they may or may not like it, I think he signs there. Coming back to Ottawa is a real long shot.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
I'm one of the few that are actually glad he's gone. I think he was part of the problem in the dressing room and that's why they shipped him out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm one of the few that are actually glad he's gone. I think he was part of the problem in the dressing room and that's why they shipped him out.
That assumes some level of competence in the Management team of Melnyk and Dorion. Have not seen it. Not with you on this one.

Reactions: Blotto71

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Did you think he was part of the problem when he was carrying the team on one leg putting on the greatest individual playoff performance since Patrick Roy in 93? Are you glad we don't have a player of that caliber anymore and that we got peanuts for him?

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Did you think he was part of the problem when he was carrying the team on one leg putting on the greatest individual playoff performance since Patrick Roy in 93? Are you glad we don't have a player of that caliber anymore and that we got peanuts for him?
100 percent!!!

The room may have been dysfunctional and Kalrsson may have been part of the reason why but this organization is toxic and it starts at the top. The trickle down of negativity was inevitable. To think ownership and managaments isnt consistent when all its proven to have done is lie to the fan base what makes you think its any different with the staff and players?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

I mean, Karlsson says even if he signed he probably gets traded.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I might have dealt with it better had the return included one or more of Hertl or Meier.

So if you were gm of the sharks you would give up one those guys for rental? I doubt most would
Would you trade any future star for a rental? I think most people understand no rental would ever return a great long term player unless a grave mistake was made.
Lets say kane's contract ran out this year and you were fairly certain he was going to test the market._ what would you give Chicago for him? Im betting not a signed stone or our best prospect.
But yet somehow its unfair and stupid other teams didnt give the sens everything and then some.

I think the sens got a fair bit in return for a rental.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think it's fair to say nobody knew the extent, which explains why Hoffman wasn't traded earlier, but was on the market. I also think it's fair game to criticize Karlsson for not being more open and explaining to management what was going on, though that has a "rat out your teammate" feel to it which i'd guess most athletes would be hesitant to do.

In the end you have two options, karlsson is being honest, and the extent of the conflict caught management by suprise, or karlsson is lying/lacking candor, and management is incompetent in their handling of the situation. Pick your poison, but even as somebody critical of Dorion's handling of many things this year or so, I do think he's so bad that he'd have been unable to move Hoffman at the deadline had he known of the extent.

I think the best option is both sides are not being completely truthful or forthcoming . And we will never know the real story.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So if you were gm of the sharks you would give up one those guys for rental? I doubt most would
Would you trade any future star for a rental? I think most people understand no rental would ever return a great long term player unless a grave mistake was made.
Lets say kane's contract ran out this year and you were fairly certain he was going to test the market._ what would you give Chicago for him? Im betting not a signed stone or our best prospect.
But yet somehow its unfair and stupid other teams didnt give the sens everything and then some.

Ummm Stone is way more valuable than those players, yes the sens should have got more for Karlsson its embarassing that they didnt get Meier or Hertl. They are second line players not all stars.

How people are still defending management is beyond me.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Why would Karlsson take a discount after seeing the way things are run around here?

Why would he sign at all, if he has such an issue with management? Makes no sense.

Your career is very limited in a physical sport like hockey. Hes a proud guy.

He is also notoriously stubborn and rebellious. If an offer is made and you don't show any remote interest on a level you feel it's a joke, you have pretty much sealed your fate.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I think the best option is both sides are not being completely truthful or forthcoming .

Basically. You don't up and leave after obtaining an offer like Karlsson did. He seemed to dodge questions in interviews wanting more info.

There is no way he dishes dirt on his bosses, and his bosses would be highly idiotic doing so to a guy like that so have rightfully so remained silent on the matter.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think the best option is both sides are not being completely truthful or forthcoming . And we will never know the real story.

No one expects 100% honesty.

The problem is management has been caught lying over and over over again. Falling back on the "well both sides aren't being truthful" is meaningless because one side has lied while Karlsson has confirmed that Melnyk did send him an email (and he made a point of saying that because he had been quoted as saying it was radio silence since November 2017) and that he did refer Melnyk to his agent and he said "no one knew" to the question "how did the situation with Hoffman affect the locker room" which can be interpreted in a lot of ways.

Management has a very serious credibility deficit, attempting to cast shadows on Erik's credibility doesn't change that management wants our money, Karlsson doesn't.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

I think that you present a very convenient argument for anyone that has stated a position such as yours.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Did you think he was part of the problem when he was carrying the team on one leg putting on the greatest individual playoff performance since Patrick Roy in 93?

Had Roy remained on Montreal's roster after the humiliating way his career ended there, it would have been a media gong show.

In Montreal, no less.

He clearly wasn't happy with management, so there was only one way to handle things.

Get rid of him, or get rid of management. He asked for a trade, so there were no options.

Their playoff record in terms of championships since, speak volumes with regards to the gravity of getting rid of a guy like that after allowing a coach to humiliate a prideful athlete who happily carried his team on his shoulders.

Karlssons contributions to Ottawa will be hard to match, as he literally carried his team and was its MVP. Hes a generational talent. Look how long it took Pittsburgh to replace Lemieux with Crosby.

Like it or not however, his legal issues would be a distraction for Ottawa until resolved. You can't ignore this, as its everywhere.

I feel him leaving the Canadian market is the best thing that could have happened to him with what he is dealing with.

He just lost his son, and was forced to face this in the media every single day. How is that fair?

There is no way a guy like this comes back, once he gets a taste of the anonymity he can enjoy in the current market he is in.

I think the trade was best for both parties, minus what we got back for him.

Selfishly, I hate the trade. But hes a high quality guy, so am happy for him in the opportunity he has for a cup away from the glaring spotlight, giving him a chance to truly heal along with his wife.

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
They offered him, reportedly, 88 million US dollars..... guaranteed, and neither he or his agent got back to the Senators about the offer.

He said "they could have still traded me" ...... yes they could have, but he knew he would be traded if he did not accept, of negotiate the extension. ........... so either way he's traded.
are you being serious??? this is what you say when you're dealing with an expendable player...if the player or his agent don't respond, you go back...this is a star player...if they were serious, they would have reached out...the offer was done dupe fans like you into thinking it was legitimate.

Reactions: bert

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

I think most fans are not looking at what the team got for EK in September in isolation, but rather, what the team got back for EK from the moment they decided to trade him, which many believe to be before last TDL. It can't be proven but it also doesn't add up that they decided on a rebuild that included EK...or regardless, the team traded EK and in hindsight did not maximise the return when they well should have at last years TDL. (ie: if your going to trade him, they should have made the decision before the TDL when they could have maximised the value).

Anyways, if you compare what Duchene got for a year and a half left vs. what EK got with a year and a half left...you can understand fans frustration.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
are you being serious??? this is what you say when you're dealing with an expendable player...if the player or his agent don't respond, you go back...this is a star player...if they were serious, they would have reached out...the offer was done dupe fans like you into thinking it was legitimate.

The account you are answering is here to do the same as management. Full time employee of the organization to argue on a message board while they wont even try to sign the best player in franchise history. Incredible asset management of finances.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No one expects 100% honesty.

The problem is management has been caught lying over and over over again. Falling back on the "well both sides aren't being truthful" is meaningless because one side has lied while Karlsson has confirmed that Melnyk did send him an email (and he made a point of saying that because he had been quoted as saying it was radio silence since November 2017) and that he did refer Melnyk to his agent and he said "no one knew" to the question "how did the situation with Hoffman affect the locker room" which can be interpreted in a lot of ways.

Management has a very serious credibility deficit, attempting to cast shadows on Erik's credibility doesn't change that management wants our money, Karlsson doesn't.

this is a funny post

if they hadn't spoken since November but EK acknowledged he received an email and referred that email to his agent. ... wouldn't he at that point be equally or more responsible for the lack of communication? he chose not to engage or did I misunderstand ?

if you give money to management and they in turn are using the money to give to Karlsson are you not then giving money to EK? maybe we should pass the hat....take up a collection... directly pay him a 40 M bonus straight from us fans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad