Sportsnet: Erik Karlsson opens up about leaving Ottawa (Video)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Back in the 70's, Montreal was one the teams I did not like very much ........ and when the Canadiens played the Soviet Red Army, on Dec. 31st, 1975 I was cheering for the Russians.

I remember that game. some regard it as the best single game ever played

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
EK wanted out but wanted it to appear he was traded

Mgmt wanted to trade him but wanted it to appear he wanted out.

I wonder to what extent they both got what they wanted and neither side wants to admit it

This is 100% my theory as well. Both sides seem very content to have moved on while appearing to the fans to have wanted to work a deal out.

It's all too convenient.

Reactions: Adrianopolous

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is 100% my theory as well. Both sides seem very content to have moved on while appearing to the fans to have wanted to work a deal out.

It's all too convenient.

I think the only fly in the ointment on the EK side was maybe anticipating he'd end up in TB

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I still say that's exactly where he ends up next year. The writing has been on the wall for a while now.
Not sure how they fit him in. They have 14 signed for next year without Point. 67.5M committed.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Not sure how they fit him in. They have 14 signed for next year without Point. 67.5M committed.

EK is only going to Tampa under their current salary structure which is basically "take a discount plz thanks".

They could trade Miller at the draft before his trade protection kicks in.

They could pay a team to take Callahan.

I think it's doable short and long term.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
EK is only going to Tampa under their current salary structure which is basically "take a discount plz thanks".

They could trade Miller at the draft before his trade protection kicks in.

They could pay a team to take Callahan.

I think it's doable short and long term.
I guess if he took something around 8-9M. They have Point this coming summer then Vasilevsky and Sergeychev the following summer.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I guess if he took something around 8-9M. They have Point this coming summer then Vasilevsky and Sergeychev the following summer.

They only sign Karl if he buys in by taking under 10 ala Stamkos, Kucherov, and Hedman. They bridge most of their players, and then the players thank them for the bridge by signing below market value contracts. So I don't think their cap situation is as tight as it is made out to be.

Serg' will sign 3.5ish*2-3, and point 5.5*3. Maybe I'm off by a million or so, but that's typically what happens with Tampa players.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They only sign Karl if he buys in by taking under 10 ala Stamkos, Kucherov, and Hedman. They bridge most of their players, and then the players thank them for the bridge by signing below market value contracts. So I don't think their cap situation is as tight as it is made out to be.

Serg' will sign 3.5ish*2-3, and point 5.5*3. Maybe I'm off by a million or so, but that's typically what happens with Tampa players.
Lots of NMC come with those great deals....

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
yup. I agree. but to my question earlier in the thread....I don't understand why there wasn't any negotiation on the EK end. an offer was made. they said no and apparently that was that. the whole thing was odd.

some days I think it's like this

EK wanted out but wanted it to appear he was traded

Mgmt wanted to trade him but wanted it to appear he wanted out.

I wonder to what extent they both got what they wanted and neither side wants to admit it

If the first contract offer EK received had no NMC and no bonuses, that told Erik it wasn't a serious offer and that's when things probably stalled for good. As for EK wanting out, maybe .... but I think it's more likely he would have stayed under the right circumstances and knew those were not going to come within the next year (Melnyk selling). If they offered him a contract with a NMC and he accepted then they couldn't trade him for a boatload, but if he did sign (even for $10 million) then he knew the team likely couldn't surround him with the pieces needed to be a true contender in a few years (ie Tkachuk and Chabot making $7 million with Duchene and Stone making $8 million).

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If the first contract offer EK received had no NMC and no bonuses, that told Erik it wasn't a serious offer and that's when things probably stalled for good. As for EK wanting out, maybe .... but I think it's more likely he would have stayed under the right circumstances and knew those were not going to come within the next year (Melnyk selling). If they offered him a contract with a NMC and he accepted then they couldn't trade him for a boatload, but if he did sign (even for $10 million) then he knew the team likely couldn't surround him with the pieces needed to be a true contender in a few years (ie Tkachuk and Chabot making $7 million with Duchene and Stone making $8 million).

hey thanks for sorting that out for me.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
living in the states you must be well connected with the local rumour mill. what have you heard?

I heard there was a certain video in an Uber....:D

Everything I've seen and heard about Wideman, he seems like a great guy. Enough with the bs gossip. And with Sens management higher on character than any other team, do you really think he would have been brought back if he was a dick and the guys didn't like him?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad