Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Meh,he loves Ottawa ...And we are much better a team than most want to see

I don't think this is a realistic line of thinking anymore. Even before the Hoffman circus, there was speculation the Sens and Karlsson would be parting ways. Then you add the Hoffman debacle and the Sens are looking like a poor team, needing a rebuild, I think it's extremely unlikely that Karlsson commits to them for the remainder of his career.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Meh,he loves Ottawa ...And we are much better a team than most want to see

Your team finished last season with 67 points. The Senators aren't "better than most want to see", they're garbage.

I really don't see any reason to expect Karlsson to re-sign at this point. The team has massive flaws on the roster, is coming off its worst season in 20 years and has already sold off multiple top end players.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The trade San Jose made is the trade Ottawa needed to make (or to another team for draft picks only). Karlsson at 11, Duchene at 8 and Stone at 8 is going to be so difficult under a 68 million dollar cap. The Sens have Ceci at around 5 after his raise, Ryan at 7.5, Boedker at 3, Gaborik at 4.575, Anderson at 4.75, and Smith at 3.25. The Sens need to now lose many players (and have next to no salary coming back) if they want to keep the trio intact. Taking on Boedkers salary to me makes it more likely Karlsson is gone, if they really wanted to keep EK Hoffman had to go for pure futures.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I've been beating this drum for a while. Colorado does make the most sense IF they are willing to step to the table and pay Karlsson good money. Karlsson would be a monster on the Avs and would fit in nicely with their core. Him and Landeskog are very good friends. Karlsson has a ton of respect for, and idolized, Peter Forsberg and I'm sure Foppa would tell Karlsson about how much he enjoyed his time in Denver.

The key here is, Colorado having the Sens unprotected 1st in a Jack Hughes draft. While there's no guarantees, the way the Sens are going, it looks to be a long year that results in a pending lottery pick. If the Sens trade Karlsson to Colorado in a package deal, they can go full-on rebuild knowing they have a chance at Hughes. If not, they're only gifting the Avs the chance at winning the most lopsided traded in recent NHL history.

However, I don't think Makar or Girard is included in the proposal. I think Timmins is the key D prospect going back, since he is a right shot. I think Girard stay and I don't think the Avs part with Makar, especially since the Sens are getting back a prime 1st rounder back.

I see

TO OTT
- Timmins
- Compher
- Sens 2019 1st
- Avs 2019 2nd

TO COL
- Karlsson
- Ryan

With a core of MacKinnon, Karlsson, Rananten, Landeskog, Barrie, Jost, Johnson, Girard, Ryan, Makar, Kerfoot, etc. the Avs aren't as far off as people think to becoming a legit player in the West. Having Karlsson and MacKinnon also make Colorado a very attractive destination for free agents moving forward.

If Karlsson is traded to a team and he agrees to sign an extension with said team, I'm pretty sure Ottawa is going to get a better offer than this, even if Ryan is involved.

A roster player or a blue chip prospect needs to go the other way; I don't think Timmins, even if he is a very good prospect, is that. And there is no way that Ottawa is not getting a 2018 first in that trade... But I realize I say those things, and with Dorion as a GM, we never know.

MAYBE for something like Sens 2019 first, Avs 2018 first, Kerfoot and Timmins. Maybe.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Listening to TSN 1200 and after the Hoffman trade Bob McKenzie said he expects Karlsson to be traded. I think most fans have this hunch - as it makes the most sense - and McKenzie + Elliott Friedman on Hockey Central both share this opinion. Of course Karlsson could sign, and shock most people, but all signs are pointing towards a trade.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If Karlsson is traded to a team and he agrees to sign an extension with said team, I'm pretty sure Ottawa is going to get a better offer than this, even if Ryan is involved.

A roster player or a blue chip prospect needs to go the other way; I don't think Timmins, even if he is a very good prospect, is that. And there is no way that Ottawa is not getting a 2018 first in that trade... But I realize I say those things, and with Dorion as a GM, we never know.

MAYBE for something like Sens 2019 first, Avs 2018 first, Kerfoot and Timmins. Maybe.
What was the rumoured Vegas deal again?

As of right now, I’d challenge you to find another team that will give the senators a 2019 1st round pick as valuable as the ones the Avs have (ottawa’s).

It’s a legitimate point of contention here.

Think of the teams rumoured to want EK, and the value of the picks they’d be sending. There’s likely a huge valley in between.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ok. And if you're right, they you are right and I'm wrong. And I'll gladly own it. But reading the tea leaves, I don't see any logic behind Karlsson extending in Ottawa.
EK has said all along he wants to stay in Ottawa,the team moving out Hoffman first and for most indicates the team wants him as well...Otherwise what did it matter if Hoffman is a locker room cancer,we are likely tearing the team down anyhow...Why not wait and see if Hoffmans value rebounded a little

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
EK has said all along he wants to stay in Ottawa,the team moving out Hoffman first and for most indicates the team wants him as well...Otherwise what did it matter if Hoffman is a locker room cancer,we are likely tearing the team down anyhow...Why not wait and see if Hoffmans value rebounded a little
But it definitely wouldn’t rebound during the offseason. I doubt there’s going to very much movement at all on the “case” between Hoffman and Karlsson in the short term.
So do you mean rebounding during the next season?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
But it definitely wouldn’t rebound during the offseason. I doubt there’s going to very much movement at all on the “case” between Hoffman and Karlsson in the short term.
So do you mean rebounding during the next season?
Look at it logically ,if we are trading EK for sure as many seem to think we are....Then there is no longer any doubt that we are gassing the team...If that is was the plan all along then why would trade Hoffman right now???

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018

I feel like you’re not accounting for how valuable the Sens 1st is to a rebuilding Sens, or at least underestimating it

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

The trade might not be consummated by Friday, or I would agree on the 2018 first rounder.

If Dorion throws in the towel, trades Karlsson, and looks to offshore other players for futures, he is likely thinking "tank" to land a franchise player in Hughes... so don't underrate the value of Ottawa getting their unprotected 1st back. If that pick ends up Patrick Kane 2.0, Dorion will be praised for his forward thinking. A likely 2019 lottery pick, another decent pick, Timmins and Compher is a nice return for a player who is going to walk for nothing (plus you remove the Ryan albatross from your neck). As Elliott Friedman was saying today, in all likelihood, the odds are that next year's pick is going to (at the very least) be as good as the 4th overall pick this year. However, there is a very good chance the pick ends up even better, and offers the best odds of landing Jack Hughes.

Would either of these packages be worth Karlsson and Ryan's awful contract:

An 18 year old Patrick Kane/Johnny Gaudreau, a 2019 2nd, Timmins and Compher

or

Filip Zadina, a 2019 2nd rounder, Timmins and Compher

Because the Sens would be pretty much locking into one of those deals. PLUS, they still get to keep their 4th overall this season.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Look at it logically ,if we are trading EK for sure as many seem to think we are....Then there is no longer any doubt that we are gassing the team...If that is was the plan all along then why would trade Hoffman right now???
Because I think the issues that Hoffman brought go beyond just EK. There’s potential that other players on the team like Andersen or Stone want nothing to do with it.

You can’t think of any other logical reason why Dorion and Melnyk would want to remove a MASSIVE distraction and controversy from his locker room other than, because we’re gonna re-sign EK?

I imagine It’s a far more complicated situation than you’re suggesting.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
What was the rumoured Vegas deal again?

Alex Tuch or Shea Theodore
Suzuki or Brannstrom (OTT wanted Glass)
Two 1sts (obviously before VGK traded the 2018 first for Tatar)

I would assume that if Vegas gets back in to the running (most seem to think they are) they would have to acquire a 1st this season to turn around in a deal for EK65.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Because I think the issues that Hoffman brought go beyond just EK. There’s potential that other players on the team like Andersen or Stone want nothing to do with it.

You can’t think of any other logical reason why Dorion and Melnyk would want to remove a MASSIVE distraction and controversy from his locker room other than, because we’re gonna re-sign EK?

I imagine It’s a far more complicated situation than you’re suggesting.
If we arent resigning and or trading EK ,then what is difference???We will be totally gassing the team anyhow

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
I don't see the Avs giving up those kind of future assets for any trade that involves f'ing Bobby Ryan, not to mention is the complete opposite of Sakic has said his plan for the Avs.

I think people tend to forget that the Avs are still a rebuilding team. They are not EK away from competing for the cup...

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
From the Avalanche perspective, that Sens pick will likely lose value in their hands, notably. Without it, the motivation to outright go scorched earth from the Sens is small

There’s always a decent chance that pick gets a lottery win, but that possibility decreases when the Sens have that much less reason to try and tank

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Alex Tuch or Shea Theodore
Suzuki or Brannstrom (OTT wanted Glass)
Two 1sts (obviously before VGK traded the 2018 first for Tatar)

I would assume that if Vegas gets back in to the running (most seem to think they are) they would have to acquire a 1st this season to turn around in a deal for EK65.
Hmm, interesting to see. I wonder how much more Ottawa assigns to its own 2019 pick vs the picks Vegas was giving up. Because at least one of the 1sts Vegas was giving was mid 20s.

Like I said earlier, an Ottawa fan is going to have to show what other team is going to be giving a 1st rounder as valued as the Avs one(Ottawa’s) before convincing me we need to add Jost/Makar/Timmins/2018 1st on top of it, while ALSO absorbing Ryan’s contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad