Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Do Karlsson really want to go through a rebuild that could show to be a long, ugly story if Dorion keeps throwing away players for crap return? I just find it hard to believe he would want to sign a new contract on a rebuilding budget team the years he really should be used to win a cup.

Reactions: amethyst

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think Colorado makes almost too much sense.

An up and coming team, with strong young forward core but a deficient blue line, that could use 27 y old during his prime in the next 9 years (next year + 8 y contract afterwards)... and the only team that can give Ottawa back that valuable 2019 1st round pick of what will most likely constitute a tank year.

My offer would be:

Colorado gets: Erik Karlsson, Bobby Ryan

Ottawa gets: Ottawa 2019 1st round pick, Colorado 2019 first round pick, Samuel Girard or Cale Makar, JT Compher

Colorado has the cap space to absorb those contracts, with nobody except Rantanen with big raises expected for a few years (especially if Girard is the one traded). It is a high price, but generational 27 y old are rarely available, and he probably won't be available for long if he refuses that contract from Ottawa come July 1st... Price will be high.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
My offer would be:

Ottawa gets: Ottawa 2019 1st round pick, Colorado 2019 first round pick, Samuel Girard or Cale Makar, JT Compher.

If we take on Bobby Ryan my offer would be: 1st COL 2019, 1st OTT back + Timmins + Prospect

No way Girard or Makar, let alone Compher if we take on Bobby Ryan. :naughty:

Or maybe another 3-way-trade will get it done...:D

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I think Colorado makes almost too much sense

An up and coming team, with strong young forward core but a deficient blue line,
Not really.

As much as MacKinnon and Rantanen make their forward core seem solid, the depth isn’t there, and they don’t currently have the prospects to ensure that secondary scoring.

Their D is actually one of their bigger strengths. The depth players they have play better than advertised, and they have several very promising prospects to add to that depth in the coming years

Secondary scoring is easily their biggest weakness, with a long term solution at goalie being their second biggest one

Reactions: milehigh11

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

An up and coming team, with strong young forward core but a deficient blue line, that could use 27 y old during his prime in the next 9 years (next year + 8 y contract afterwards)... and the only team that can give Ottawa back that valuable 2019 1st round pick of what will most likely constitute a tank year.

My offer would be:

Ottawa gets: Ottawa 2019 1st round pick, Colorado 2019 first round pick, Samuel Girard or Cale Makar, JT Compher

Colorado has the cap space to absorb those contracts, with nobody except Rantanen with big raises expected for a few years (especially if Girard is the one traded). It is a high price, but generational 27 y old are rarely available, and he probably won't be available for long if he refuses that contract from Ottawa come July 1st... Price will be high.

That is WAY too much for Colorado to give up.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If we take on Bobby Ryan my offer would be: 1st COL 2019, 1st OTT back + Timmins + Prospect

No way Girard or Makar, let alone Compher if we take on Bobby Ryan. :naughty:

Or maybe another 3-way-trade will get it done...:D

I have the feeling Vegas will gladly take that Bobby Ryan and offer a lot if it means adding a 27 y old franchise defenseman to their roster... But that 2019 Ottawa first is the ace in Colorado's sleeve that might make the difference! I don't see Ottawa trading Karlsson without a blue chip prospect (Makar) or a young promising roster player (Girard) coming back... Might be wrong, however!

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Well Hoffnan’s back in the division. Anyone think that’ll impact the chances of a Karlsson trade?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Not really.

As much as MacKinnon and Rantanen make their forward core seem solid, the depth isn’t there, and they don’t currently have the prospects to ensure that secondary scoring.

Their D is actually one of their bigger strengths. The depth players they have play better than advertised, and they have several very promising prospects to add to that depth in the coming years

Secondary scoring is easily their biggest weakness, with a long term solution at goalie being their second biggest one

Respectfully disagree, here. Nothing against Barberio, Siemens and Nemeth, but having them playing significant minutes on your team is not a good sign.

If they are smart, they will resign Varlamov and keep Bernier around. Don't see that as a real problem. Secondary scoring is pretty good, with cheap young players like Kerfoot, Jost and Andrighetto having potential to get better.

Defense is by far Colorado's main weakness in my opinion... And I don't see Girard or Makar becoming close of what Karlsson is, so I would pull the trigger. The only way Colorado regrets this is if that Ottawa first wins the lottery and lands Jack Hugues, but it is statistically more likely it won't happen, even if they finish dead last.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Respectfully disagree, here. Nothing against Barberio, Siemens and Nemeth, but having them playing significant minutes on your team is not a good sign.

If they are smart, they will resign Varlamov and keep Bernier around. Don't see that as a real problem. Secondary scoring is pretty good, with cheap young players like Kerfoot, Jost and Andrighetto having potential to get better.

Defense is by far Colorado's main weakness in my opinion... And I don't see Girard or Makar becoming close of what Karlsson is, so I would pull the trigger. The only way Colorado regrets this is if that Ottawa first wins the lottery and lands Jack Hugues, but it is statistically more likely it won't happen, even if they finish dead last.
I’d also respectfully disagree

Johnson is a workhorse. Barrie is a top pairing offensive defenseman. Zadorov is top 4 defensive dman. Girard is borderline top 4, and shows every sign of being one from now on

After that Nemeth is typically better than most claim. He’s excellent in a 3rd pairing role, but good enough to take top 4 minutes if someone gets injured. After that, the depth is plenty good for the 6th and 7th dman roles.

Then you have Makar, Timmins, and Meloche all seeming to having a good chance of being top 4 or top pairing quality

Add to that, a good amount of that would be expansion protected.

Compared to secondary scoring, the number of assets are similar, but there are more roles to fill, the gap between ability and potential appears larger for those holding those roles now

As for goalie, Varlamov is not a long term solution. He’s too old and injury prone to be the goalie to rely on when the team aims to be contenders in a few years

It’s not as pressing if a concern, just an ever growing one

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016

Not sure I agree with this. Kerfoot's 1st half of the season was great but he was pretty much a 4th liner by february. Jost is definitely showing potential but isn't guaranteed to become a legit #2 next season. Besides that, I don't see any other secondary scoring good enough to make defense a bigger concern. Barrie is one of the best offensive d's in the league, Zadorov is a legit top 2 D imo. Johnson is criminally underrated on here and Girard is a gem with wheels and great hockey IQ. Our biggest issue is not having an answer when the other team shuts down the top line. Having Karlsson would be great but we could do better w/o him than we could w/o some offensive depth.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Colorado will gladly just keep Ottawa's 2019 pick (unless they give us #4 in 2018). And keep building through the draft. We are in no position to trade that much for a player that is a UFA at the end of the season. His next deal starts at his age 29 .. Do we really want to pay 11+ million for him at 36 years old. Probably not.

I am sure the Avs will be setting up meetings with JT and JC in free agency. They only take $$$ which we have plenty of. We will keep our prospects and young guys for another year.

If we were an EK away from competing I would be all for it. But sadly we are not. We really don't have a 2nd line that can score. We will work on that first.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State

IF they are smart they make a trade for Grubauer. We traded with the caps once for a goalie in Varlamov. Time to do it again. Then we could trade Varly to someone else. Grubauer gives us that youngish goalie we need without injury concerns.

Secondary scoring is very weak outside Macks line. When mack was hurt we struggled to score a single goal most nights.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Not sure I agree with this. Kerfoot's 1st half of the season was great but he was pretty much a 4th liner by february. Jost is definitely showing potential but isn't guaranteed to become a legit #2 next season. Besides that, I don't see any other secondary scoring good enough to make defense a bigger concern. Barrie is one of the best offensive d's in the league, Zadorov is a legit top 2 D imo. Johnson is criminally underrated on here and Girard is a gem with wheels and great hockey IQ. Our biggest issue is not having an answer when the other team shuts down the top line. Having Karlsson would be great but we could do better w/o him than we could w/o some offensive depth.

I like Barrie too, but Zadorov is no way a "top 2 D", even if he plays with him. Even on Colorado he is behind Nemeth (!) in ice time... It is like saying Jason Demers is a top 2 D because he plays with Ekman-Larsson... and at least Demers plays some time on the PP.

Maybe the secondary scoring is also a concern, but I would not say that makes Colorado's defense a strenght. Having Karlsson would not be just great, it would be incredible for that team. Anyways, might not be the best timing, but those guys are never available so it is my opinion that you have to go for them if you have the assets when they are. Can't wait to see where he lands, and I predict that team is going to benefit a lot from having a special talent like that in their line-up!

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

My offer would be:

I've been beating this drum for a while. Colorado does make the most sense IF they are willing to step to the table and pay Karlsson good money. Karlsson would be a monster on the Avs and would fit in nicely with their core. Him and Landeskog are very good friends. Karlsson has a ton of respect for, and idolized, Peter Forsberg and I'm sure Foppa would tell Karlsson about how much he enjoyed his time in Denver.

The key here is, Colorado having the Sens unprotected 1st in a Jack Hughes draft. While there's no guarantees, the way the Sens are going, it looks to be a long year that results in a pending lottery pick. If the Sens trade Karlsson to Colorado in a package deal, they can go full-on rebuild knowing they have a chance at Hughes. If not, they're only gifting the Avs the chance at winning the most lopsided traded in recent NHL history.

However, I don't think Makar or Girard is included in the proposal. I think Timmins is the key D prospect going back, since he is a right shot. I think Girard stay and I don't think the Avs part with Makar, especially since the Sens are getting back a prime 1st rounder back.

I see

TO OTT
- Timmins
- Compher
- Sens 2019 1st
- Avs 2019 2nd

TO COL
- Karlsson
- Ryan

With a core of MacKinnon, Karlsson, Rananten, Landeskog, Barrie, Jost, Johnson, Girard, Ryan, Makar, Kerfoot, etc. the Avs aren't as far off as people think to becoming a legit player in the West. Having Karlsson and MacKinnon also make Colorado a very attractive destination for free agents moving forward.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I like Barrie too, but Zadorov is no way a "top 2 D", even if he plays with him. Even on Colorado he is behind Nemeth (!) in ice time... It is like saying Jason Demers is a top 2 D because he plays with Ekman-Larsson... and at least Demers plays some time on the PP.

Maybe the secondary scoring is also a concern, but I would not say that makes Colorado's defense a strenghth. Having Karlsson would not be just great, it would be incredible for that team. Anyways, might not be the best timing, but those guys are never available so it is my opinion that you have to go for them if you have the assets when they are. Can't wait to see where he lands, and I predict that team is going to benefit a lot from having a special talent like that in their line-up!

He played top pairing minutes in the playoffs this year and had a rocky season so his average numbers were down. Nemeth's minutes went up when Johnson went down. From watching him this season, he's improved greatly, especially the latter half of the season. I'll say he's at least a number 3.. And Having Barrie and Johnson above is definitely not a weakness.

I agree our defense isn't a strength, I just don't think it's as big of a liability to address. Although I will say, I'm all for acquiring EK if we can flip Barrie for some more offensive firepower. Wherever Karlsson goes, the team will be absolutely blessed to have him.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yup.
If anything it increases substantially. They moved on quick from Hoffman, once the media got the info....

I'm sure the Sens will make a genuine attempt to keep Karlsson but I think the Karlssons, rightfully, want a new start in a different city. They don't need the drama, the media, the questions hanging over their heads as this story continues to unfold. Not to mention, the Sens are a complete mess and need a complete overhaul if they ever want to escape mediocrity. Losing Karlsson right now will be a step back, but they need a couple of these to take bigger steps forward down the line. Karlsson is in the prime of his career, has his Norris trophies, stats, all-star appearances, but he is chasing a Cup now. He is not going to get one in Ottawa, and considering the drama that has unfolded, I don't think there's a chance in hell he signs an 8-year extension with them. Zero.

Reactions: amethyst

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I’d also respectfully disagree

Johnson is a workhorse. Barrie is a top pairing offensive defenseman. Zadorov is top 4 defensive dman. Girard is borderline top 4, and shows every sign of being one from now on

After that Nemeth is typically better than most claim. He’s excellent in a 3rd pairing role, but good enough to take top 4 minutes if someone gets injured. After that, the depth is plenty good for the 6th and 7th dman roles.

Then you have Makar, Timmins, and Meloche all seeming to having a good chance of being top 4 or top pairing quality

Add to that, a good amount of that would be expansion protected.

Compared to secondary scoring, the number of assets are similar, but there are more roles to fill, the gap between ability and potential appears larger for those holding those roles now

As for goalie, Varlamov is not a long term solution. He’s too old and injury prone to be the goalie to rely on when the team aims to be contenders in a few years

It’s not as pressing if a concern, just an ever growing one

Like I wrote to the other poster, maybe secondary scoring is a need for the Avalanche, but it does not make the defense situation better. I agree with your assessment of Zadorov (#4 defensive D), Girard (up and coming but not top 4 yet) and Nemeth (bottom 6 D). Erik Johnson might be a "workhorse" but that does not make him a top 30 defenseman in the league so I would hesitate to label him as a #1 defenseman; he is a 30 y old all-around top 2D, which is still valuable. I like Barrie more than most, though.

I disagree with Meloche "having good chance of being top 4". Has he not been demoted 2 times in the ECHL last year or am I missing something here? Looks like a dime-a-dozen D prospect.

As for Timmins and Makar, if everything goes perfectly in their development, they might be in the NHL in 2 years, and start making a real impact in 3-4 years... Not really what I would call immediate help for that roster.

Anyways, I still consider Colorado's defense to be one of the league weakest, but I might be wrong. Does not make the team less promising, but I still don't think their defense is a strenght.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Like I wrote to the other poster, maybe secondary scoring is a need for the Avalanche, but it does not make the defense situation better. I agree with your assessment of Zadorov (#4 defensive D), Girard (up and coming but not top 4 yet) and Nemeth (bottom 6 D). Erik Johnson might be a "workhorse" but that does not make him a top 30 defenseman in the league so I would hesitate to label him as a #1 defenseman; he is a 30 y old all-around top 2D, which is still valuable. I like Barrie more than most, though.

I disagree with Meloche "having good chance of being top 4". Has he not been demoted 2 times in the ECHL last year or am I missing something here? Looks like a dime-a-dozen D prospect.

As for Timmins and Makar, if everything goes perfectly in their development, they might be in the NHL in 2 years, and start making a real impact in 3-4 years... Not really what I would call immediate help for that roster.

Anyways, I still consider Colorado's defense to be one of the league weakest, but I might be wrong. Does not make the team less promising, but I still don't think their defense is a strenght.
Sort of seems like you take the absolute most pessimistic approach to most every one of those

Right now the defense is below average. But they’re setup to become well above average

Their secondary scoring doesn’t have that luxury as of now

Remember, the team is still rebuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad