Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Erik Karlsson will make the Avs a lot better, let's not kid ourselves here lol. Look what he did on the Sens, and they don't have any toys close to the caliber of MacKinnon, Rantanen and Barrie, let alone other contributors like Landeskog and Johnson.

Karlsson is a 70-80 point defenseman right smack in his prime at 27. He is a multiple Norris winner and the greatest offensive defenseman of this generation. The Avs would instantly become one of those scary teams to face in the playoffs, let alone one of the most entertaining in the entire NHL. Could you imagine a PP that features MacKinnon, Rantanten, Landeskog, Karlsson and Barrie? My goodness. I'm thinking that ends up the top PP in the NHL overnight. And Karlsson logs 27 minutes a night, which allows some other guys to play more in their comfort zone without being overworked... the trickle down effect will be extremely beneficial to the Avs D core.

Add this to another year of development for Jost, Girard and Kerfoot, and the Avs look dangerous... a complete 180 from where they were only 12 months ago. It would be remarkable.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Avs don't need to get involved. Sens will trade Karlsson anyway and increase the value of the pick. Avs can continue with their rebuild.

This is fine and well, unless you're talking about a generational defenseman in his prime. If you have a chance to get him, especially without removing any current roster players, you go for it. "Not getting involved" is silly talk when it comes to a player like Erik Karlsson, unless Karlsson makes it clear that he has no interest in playing long-term in Denver (which I suspect he would be open to this possibility, but that's just my opinion).

This isn't Jason Demers here. When players like Karlsson, Seguin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Doughty, Subban, Tavares, etc. become "available", every GM has a duty to get involved, or they should be fired on the spot.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I'm sure the Sens will make a genuine attempt to keep Karlsson but I think the Karlssons, rightfully, want a new start in a different city. They don't need the drama, the media, the questions hanging over their heads as this story continues to unfold. Not to mention, the Sens are a complete mess and need a complete overhaul if they ever want to escape mediocrity. Losing Karlsson right now will be a step back, but they need a couple of these to take bigger steps forward down the line. Karlsson is in the prime of his career, has his Norris trophies, stats, all-star appearances, but he is chasing a Cup now. He is not going to get one in Ottawa, and considering the drama that has unfolded, I don't think there's a chance in hell he signs an 8-year extension with them. Zero.

Sadly, I completely agree with your post. I love EK however I understand why he would want a fresh start and as a fan I would never hold it against him.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
I've been beating this drum for a while. Colorado does make the most sense IF they are willing to step to the table and pay Karlsson good money. Karlsson would be a monster on the Avs and would fit in nicely with their core. Him and Landeskog are very good friends. Karlsson has a ton of respect for, and idolized, Peter Forsberg and I'm sure Foppa would tell Karlsson about how much he enjoyed his time in Denver.

The key here is, Colorado having the Sens unprotected 1st in a Jack Hughes draft. While there's no guarantees, the way the Sens are going, it looks to be a long year that results in a pending lottery pick. If the Sens trade Karlsson to Colorado in a package deal, they can go full-on rebuild knowing they have a chance at Hughes. If not, they're only gifting the Avs the chance at winning the most lopsided traded in recent NHL history.

However, I don't think Makar or Girard is included in the proposal. I think Timmins is the key D prospect going back, since he is a right shot. I think Girard stay and I don't think the Avs part with Makar, especially since the Sens are getting back a prime 1st rounder back.

I see

TO OTT
- Timmins
- Compher
- Sens 2019 1st
- Avs 2019 2nd

TO COL
- Karlsson
- Ryan

With a core of MacKinnon, Karlsson, Rananten, Landeskog, Barrie, Jost, Johnson, Girard, Ryan, Makar, Kerfoot, etc. the Avs aren't as far off as people think to becoming a legit player in the West. Having Karlsson and MacKinnon also make Colorado a very attractive destination for free agents moving forward.

I really don't see the Avs willing to give up that much if the Sens are insisting on Ryan and his god awful contract being included. The Avs' top 4 is set at RHD with Johnson and Barrie so adding EK without trading one of Barrie/EJ would effectively drop one of them down to the 3rd pairing which makes no sense whatsoever.

The only trade I see working for the Avs' would be Barrie + Sens '19 1st for EK alone, and I understand why Sens' fans wouldn't like that but there's a chance that pick ends up a lottery pick and I don't think the difference between Barrie and Karlsson is a top 3 pick in next year's draft.

ADDED: Of course the Avs' could make multiple trades sending Barrie elsewhere but I don't see Sakic trading Girard, Makar or Timmins with the way they've been developing. Plus Sakic's whole plan is based on getting younger and developing the team through the draft.

Reactions: milehigh11

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I really don't see the Avs willing to give up that much if the Sens are insisting on Ryan and his god awful contract being included. The Avs' top 4 is set at RHD with Johnson and Barrie so adding EK without trading one of Barrie/EJ would effectively drop one of them down to the 3rd pairing which makes no sense whatsoever.

The only trade I see working for the Avs' would be Barrie + Sens '19 1st for EK alone, and I understand why Sens' fans wouldn't like that but there's a chance that pick ends up a lottery pick and I don't think the difference between Barrie and Karlsson is a top 3 pick in next year's draft...

Think two steps ahead. If the Avs get Karlsson, they suddenly have the flexibility to move a Barrie or Johnson in a big hockey trade. Let's say the Oilers are willing to part with Nugent-Hopkins for Barrie, the Avs suddenly added Karlsson, Ryan and Nugent-Hopkins and the only piece they removed from their current roster is Tyson Barrie? This is a whole new ballgame here folks.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
This is fine and well, unless you're talking about a generational defenseman in his prime. If you have a chance to get him, especially without removing any current roster players, you go for it. "Not getting involved" is silly talk when it comes to a player like Erik Karlsson, unless Karlsson makes it clear that he has no interest in playing long-term in Denver (which I suspect he would be open to this possibility, but that's just my opinion).

This isn't Jason Demers here. When players like Karlsson, Seguin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Doughty, Subban, Tavares, etc. become "available", every GM has a duty to get involved, or they should be fired on the spot.
The problem is that his prime doesn’t match up with when the Avs are setup to compete

Many think the chance at a high draft pick is more valuable to long term success than giving it and other important assets to force us into a win now mode

The worst thing that the Avs can do now is compromise their long term success plan, which this very will could do (especially with EKs injury concerns)

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Think two steps ahead. If the Avs get Karlsson, they suddenly have the flexibility to move a Barrie or Johnson in a big hockey trade. Let's say the Oilers are willing to part with Nugent-Hopkins for Barrie, the Avs suddenly added Karlsson, Ryan and Nugent-Hopkins and the only piece they removed from their current roster is Tyson Barrie? This is a whole new ballgame here folks.

Yep, I pre-maturely posted that so added more...regardless, Sakic's whole plan is to get younger and develop the team through the draft as much as possible. I just don't see how trading away high draft picks and young players on a rebuilding team that, despite making the playoffs and potentially having EK, is still a few years away from being a cup contender.

And again, the addition of Ryan to that trade is a non-starter for me...complete opposite of what the Avs have been trying to do even with all of their capspace.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The problem is that his prime doesn’t match up with when the Avs are setup to compete

Many think the chance at a high draft pick is more valuable to long term success than giving it and other important assets to force us into a win now mode

The worst thing that the Avs can do now is compromise their long term success plan, which this very will could do (especially with EKs injury concerns)

The addition of EK sets up the Avs to compete. Now.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

The only trade I see working for the Avs' would be Barrie + Sens '19 1st for EK alone, and I understand why Sens' fans wouldn't like that but there's a chance that pick ends up a lottery pick and I don't think the difference between Barrie and Karlsson is a top 3 pick in next year's draft.

ADDED: Of course the Avs' could make multiple trades sending Barrie elsewhere but I don't see Sakic trading Girard, Makar or Timmins with the way they've been developing. Plus Sakic's whole plan is based on getting younger and developing the team through the draft.

"That much?"

You do realize the only roster player on that deal JT Compher? We are talking about Erik Karlsson, here.

Pretty sure that Ottawa is going to get a better offer than that if Karlsson is available and willing to sign long term with the team that is getting him.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

Now and for the next 7 years... all while MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, etc. are in their prime, full of energy and have their young legs. There are no promises in the NHL, but if you can hitch your wagon to players like MacKinnon and Karlsson for the next 7 years, you go for it. If Timmins, Makar, etc. never pan out as expected, you just wasted 3 more prime years from MacKinnon & Co. Erik Karlsson is a sure thing, the geunuine article. And he's not 31. If Karlsson was 30+ I would reconsider... but this dude has 7 elite years left. And those will likely be the same years MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog play their very best hockey.

I don't understand AT ALL the "let's wait and keep building through the draft" when a 27 year old like Karlsson could be in play and propel the Avs into contenders. Look at the steps the Leafs took. I'd put a core of MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Karlsson, Barrie, Jost, Johnson and Makar up against any young core in the league, sans Winnipeg... maybe!! Karlsson is head-and-shoulders above any defenseman the other young stud teams have (Toronto, Edmonton, Buffalo, Winnipeg, etc.) MacKinnon is on par with any forward other than McDavid, including Laine, Matthews, Scheifele and Eichel. And Rantanen is on-par with any "Robin" those other teams have, except Winnipeg.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Keeping the picks and other assets might set up Avs to compete for a decade. We've learned how important a steady stream of good players on ELCs are to have any kind of staying power as a contending team.

Adding EK could turn out great but it also might mean he walks in 2019 and Avs are standing there having messed up their rebuild because they were trying to hurry things up.

Reactions: milehigh11

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Maybe, since they still don’t have that depth scoring either.

I am personally in favor of trading for EK (for the right price)...

But it’s not hard to see if some people prioritize competing for a decade vs competing for half a decade, regardless of when that starts

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
"That much?"

You do realize the only roster player on that deal JT Compher? We are talking about Erik Karlsson, here.

Pretty sure that Ottawa is going to get a better offer than that if Karlsson is available and willing to sign long term with the team that is getting him.

We're also talking about taking on the horrid (negative value) contract of Bobby Ryan, the Sens' 1st pick which could easily be a top 3 pick with the direction Ottawa is heading in, plus Timmins who along with Makar should be the Avs' two prospects not on the trade table. All of that is counter-productive to what Sakic has very publicly said his plan is.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Adding EK could turn out great but it also might mean he walks in 2019 and Avs are standing there having messed up their rebuild because they were trying to hurry things up.

The Avs would need a verbal in place or extension before trading for Karlsson, that's a given.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
We're also talking about taking on the horrid (negative value) contract of Bobby Ryan, the Sens' 1st pick which could easily be a top 3 pick with the direction Ottawa is heading in, plus Timmins who along with Makar should be the Avs' two prospects not on the trade table. All of that is counter-productive to what Sakic has very publicly said his plan is.

Ryan is overpaid by 25%, no doubt. But he is still a decent player, capable of scoring 25 goals on a 2nd line - he's just paid too much. This would be an issue if the Avs weren't 6 mil (or something like that) under the cap floor! If any team has the ability to absorb Ryan's deal to land Karlsson at a discounted price, it's Colorado. Without Ryan's contract, an extended Karlsson is going to cost a lot more than 2 picks and a couple of non-roster players. This is the best (or at least top-3) defenseman on the planet at 27.

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He resigns in Ottawa,moving Hoffman out the door ,was a must...Otherwise,why on earth would we dump Hoffman for nothing only to deal EK??

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He resigns in Ottawa,moving Hoffman out the door ,was a must...Otherwise,why on earth would we dump Hoffman for nothing only to deal EK??

It's not like you can keep Hoffman in Ottawa if you trade Karlsson. Everyone would turn on Hoffman.

Hoffman was gone no matter what happens with Karlsson.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

Are you serious? The other players and their wives wanted no parts of Hoffman on the team - he had to go, regardless. Karlsson will want to move on to separate himself, and his family, from the situation and media circus.

Hammond's wife, Turris' wife, etc. all came out to speak up in favor of Mel Karlsson. Even though they are not on the team anymore, the feeling was mutual among the team.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Ryan is also 31 years old and, again, the exact opposite of what the Avs are trying to do with their roster. And that's also why I said in my previous post that the only trade I can see between the Avs/Sens is something like Barrie + Sens' 1st for EK alone.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Are you serious? The other players and their wives wanted no parts of Hoffman on the team - he had to go, regardless. Karlsson will want to move on to separate himself, and his family, from the situation and media circus.

Hammond's wife, Turris' wife, etc. all came out to speak up in favor of Mel Karlsson. Even though they are not on the team anymore, the feeling was mutual among the team.
See you when he resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad